• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It's raining Byrne!
1 1

59 posts in this topic

On 3/16/2023 at 10:46 AM, inovrmihd said:

The 124 page appears to have been cut several times and taped back together. Any thoughts on how that affects desirability?  Just curious if people care.

If John or Terry did it..... I think it adds value.lol If some random guys chopped it in their workshop:facepalm: As it's all original art from the published comic, I think the bidders have already spoken on just how little it curtails their trigger finger.(thumbsu

On 3/16/2023 at 2:03 PM, grapeape said:

If John or Terry did it..... I think it adds value.lol If some random guys chopped it in their workshop:facepalm: As it's all original art from the published comic, I think the bidders have already spoken on just how little it curtails their trigger finger.(thumbsu

I don't think there's any chance it adds value.    Best case scenario there's no discount.     

Personally I'd bid more on a page that hadn't been cut up, but if it was a page I wanted, it wouldn't really stop me much either as long as it wasn't egregious (I haven't reviewed here to see the extent in detail but I did see some tape on the back like one panel at least had been replaced).

Long story short I don't think we will notice a difference in price, but I'd say that all things being equal it takes 5% off the value.

Thoughts anyone?

On 3/16/2023 at 2:03 PM, grapeape said:

100% sure Marvel cut it up and restructured the page. 
No collector would do something like that to art. 
Does not affect the price. 

The most likely case was that Byrne redrew a couple panels, and instead of erasing what was already drawn he cut the panels out of another board and replaced the panels on the original page. This was not uncommon at Marvel in the 70s, I have a Kirby Eternals page that has the same thing. As long as it's all art and not stats it does not affect the value at all.

End of history lesson.

Edited by Micah S.

On 3/16/2023 at 1:36 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Because it’s taped together with masking tape, I would bid less for the page than I would have otherwise.

I don’t see how folks can say that it won’t impact the value of the page when clearly there are folks like me who stay away from pages with masking tape

This would make an interesting poll.

On 3/16/2023 at 4:36 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

I don’t see how folks can say that it won’t impact the value of the page when clearly there are folks like me who stay away from pages with masking tape

It only matters if it matters to the top two bidders, all the rest, and their opinions are immaterial. On top material, of course.

On 3/16/2023 at 5:27 PM, vodou said:

It only matters if it matters to the top two bidders, all the rest, and their opinions are immaterial. On top material, of course.

What if there's a person who would have been one of the top two bidders but decides to not bid at all because of it. Like hypothetically with the masking tape the top two bidders bid it up to $50K before the runner-up drops out, but if it weren't taped there is someone who would have bid it up to $75k.

On 3/16/2023 at 5:55 PM, JC25427N said:

What if there's a person who would have been one of the top two bidders but decides to not bid at all because of it.

You’re describing three bidders, and the top bowed out. It and his opinion matters, obviously. What of it?

On 3/16/2023 at 5:55 PM, JC25427N said:

What if there's a person who would have been one of the top two bidders but decides to not bid at all because of it. Like hypothetically with the masking tape the top two bidders bid it up to $50K before the runner-up drops out, but if it weren't taped there is someone who would have bid it up to $75k.

This!

On 3/18/2023 at 5:20 PM, KirbyCollector said:

Watching the UXM 130 auction... I know everyone approaches auction bidding differently, but there is a special place in hell for those who run in small bid after small bid on large dollar items... like watching a real life Scrooge McDuck bid

These will be fun to watch, 3hrs left… there should be lots of fireworks, with the classic last second bids a flying!

On 3/16/2023 at 2:55 PM, JC25427N said:

It's possible, but the pool of people interested in Byrne X-Men is pretty deep.