• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this Batman 522 Kelley Jones at auction "art" or "print"
1 1

24 posts in this topic

https://www.ebay.com/itm/374556145565?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=lRWoOGb3Tnq&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=huUHVhc0Tca&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Bidding currently @ $3,050 😦 

I have reached out twice to the eBay seller. I've asked him to reconcile the picture of the "original art" in his picture 1 with the picture 2  that appears to be an advertisement for the Kelley Jones Batman Graphitti  Designs book of art sized reprint of 10 black and white books including BM 522. This "art" is framed.

First response: I'll try to get more info

My second request was for him to remove the piece from the frame and see if the "art" and what I see on the back are one and the same. I'd think it's a print if it's one piece yes? If not he should see in the back something DC or copyright stamp on a white backing to the art. I just sent this a few moments before this post so I'll update when he responds.

Just looking out. Maybe it's an honest mistake? There's no description of the page at all, or mention of the artist. It's described as Batman original art in the title description. The seller seems to sell a lot of sports cards so maybe this was a consignment.

I pointed this out to a few collectors and one said they placed a bid early and that the second picture was added later in the auction. 

🍇 🦍 

https://youtu.be/W3KYMMH9Cws
YouTube Kayfabe video also gave a review of the Graphitti Designs Kelley Jones Batman Edition. At 28:20 the matching issue 522 and page 11 are reviewed. The book art matches the auction "art" but I'd still need more validation before I'd get involved with this auction.

Edited by grapeape

On 3/19/2023 at 7:26 AM, John E. said:

Mike, I was just about to post a topic about this warning that this is indeed a print. I know this because I own one. I got it directly from Kelley Jones at his Sac-Con (Sacramento, CA) appearance late in 2014. This is like an oversized flyer promoting the release of the then-forthcoming Batman: Kelley Jones Gallery Edition from Graphitti Designs. One side of the flyer/print is a facsimile of the original art to show the quality of the scan and printing; the reverse is the actual advertisement. This to me seems like another case of eBay sellers/consignment companies ignorant of what they are selling and writing poor descriptions that dupe bidders. So bidders beware this is not original art. But I’m more than happy to sell mine for a low, low price of $999.00USD. PM me. 

Thanks buddy I thought I was going crazy! The bidding over $3000. 
This is a warning for newbies and veterans alike. 

On 3/19/2023 at 4:44 PM, KirbyCollector said:

I reported this as fraudulent. If enough of us do, it will get Ebay's attention and they may halt this in time. 

Sadly, this seller is one of those whom Ebay allows despite obvious fraudulent practices (as evidenced by feedback). It makes me wonder how many of the 30+ bids so far on this print are even real.

I did too...

Thanks to OP for inform us....

This print is now up to $7500. This is the weirdest price discovery I’ve ever seen. If you are an underbidder interested in my print for the low, low price of $3,050 (I’m selling literally at yesterday’s prices :jawdrop:) PM please. I’m a collector who understands the fog of exuberance — I got caught in a sticky sitch on eBay last month myself—and will take care of you. 

On 3/20/2023 at 4:05 PM, John E. said:

This print is now up to $7500. This is the weirdest price discovery I’ve ever seen. If you are an underbidder interested in my print for the low, low price of $3,050 (I’m selling literally at yesterday’s prices :jawdrop:) PM please. I’m a collector who understands the fog of exuberance — I got caught in a sticky sitch on eBay last month myself—and will take care of you. 

Try $14,850,99 with 3 hours to go. The new high bidder has a feedback of (18) :facepalm:

On 3/21/2023 at 9:24 AM, Garry Ghoul said:

So it was reported as fraudulent, and somebody bought it for $14K??

I believe we can report it a fraudulent but unless eBay takes action, unsuspecting bidder are none the wiser. 

Personally, I don’t think it’s fraud if the seller, who seems to be a consignment store, with hired hands to scan and post, don’t know any better as what they are selling. The ruse is not intentional as far as I can tell. Is it careless and irresponsible? For sure. I think this is more of an issue of misidentification and the “Report a listing” complaint says nothing about misidentification. (Just writing out my thoughts on the topic; this is not directed to you, Mr. Ghoul.)

On 3/21/2023 at 11:04 AM, John E. said:

I believe we can report it a fraudulent but unless eBay takes action, unsuspecting bidder are none the wiser. 

Personally, I don’t think it’s fraud if the seller, who seems to be a consignment store, with hired hands to scan and post, don’t know any better as what they are selling. The ruse is not intentional as far as I can tell. Is it careless and irresponsible? For sure. I think this is more of an issue of misidentification and the “Report a listing” complaint says nothing about misidentification. (Just writing out my thoughts on the topic; this is not directed to you, Mr. Ghoul.)

The moment the seller received a message that this was not original art, yet refused to change the description, this listing became fraud. I sent him a message and so did others, so Ebay could easily pull them and make the case. The problem is Ebay's fraud department is probably so miniscule, in comparison to the complaints they field daily, that they never address 99% of these problems.

Edited by KirbyCollector

On 3/21/2023 at 11:04 AM, John E. said:

Personally, I don’t think it’s fraud if the seller, who seems to be a consignment store, with hired hands to scan and post, don’t know any better as what they are selling. The ruse is not intentional as far as I can tell.

I hate to be cynical, but my first thought was that the consignor knows this is a print, and chose a consignment shop with no experience in comic art so they wouldn’t question the description they were given.  Any of the auction houses that regularly deal with comic art would have ID’d this as a print immediately.

On 3/21/2023 at 9:20 AM, Kryptic1 said:

I hate to be cynical, but my first thought was that the consignor knows this is a print, and chose a consignment shop with no experience in comic art so they wouldn’t question the description they were given.  Any of the auction houses that regularly deal with comic art would have ID’d this as a print immediately.

I considered this as well. When I first reached out the eBay seller said he'd look into it. Maybe he was caught off guard. Maybe the consignor played dumb.

But I sent a second email describing the probability it was a print based on the second posted auction picture, which I'm told was added after bidding began. I instructed the eBay seller on how to check by removing the item from the frame. This was the day before the auction ended.

No response.

As a seller, acting on behalf of another doesn't shield you from claiming ignorance. It's your duty to know what you're selling. It's your eBay credibility in this case. In fact, when selling items outside your expertise it's paramount that your due diligence be rigid. Reaching out to a CGC original art chat board before auction is an example of due diligence.

Did the high bidder come to the rescue?

Was the high bidder a victim?

At the end of the day it's also a collector's duty to know what they are buying. One person I know has told me they bid early and never saw the second photo added later on. They thanked me and retracted their bid. 

On 3/21/2023 at 8:04 AM, John E. said:

To report the listing, there's only two choices that could make eBay even look at the auction.inappropriate auction or fraudulent. Fraudulent is the  only option strong enough. It's harsh maybe because it is possible as a consignment the eBay seller was just over his skis. But if eBay at least contacts the seller that can be explained. The way this went down if the final bidder (18) legitimately bid to win they did not buy original art. They were deceived even if it wasn't intentional they weren't protected by eBay or the seller. :(

On 3/21/2023 at 7:39 PM, SGArt said:

While I feel bad for the high bidder, given the final price, I do feel better knowing I have an original page from this issue.

Yeah, but yours is only one-sided artwork. At most only 50% as valuable as the one that just ended.