• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

R.I.P. Conrad Eschenberg (1953-2023)
2 2

42 posts in this topic

I learned only yesterday that Conrad Eschenberg ("Conrad's Comic Art" and "Conrad's Comics-n-Art") passed away on February 14. As he was one of the early major dealers in the comic art hobby, and still in contact with a number of people, I was stunned that almost nobody seems to have heard the news either:

Conrad Eschenberg Obituary

I didn't know him well, but, enjoyed seeing and speaking with him at conventions, especially the early NJ art cons, which he attended despite suffering from Parkinson's disease (which he lived with for well over a decade). While he hasn't been at conventions for a long while now, I was told that he really wanted to somehow make it out to SDCC this year. :frown: I think the last time I spoke with him was on the speakerphone in the car as me and a mutual friend were driving to SDCC, probably around 2017-19.

In any case, I thought people would want to know and maybe share a memory or two here.

R.I.P. Conrad. 

Edited by delekkerste

I remember buying some art from him at a NYC show at the Sheraton in 1996. Bought a Kirby and a Byrne page with my brother - wish I'd bought more, as one would. Conrad was very easy to deal with, and did cut a little deal so that we could pick up that extra piece. Very sad to hear of this.

Sad news. He was a frequent presence in the Big Apple Con in the late 90's when I entered the hobby. As others have said, only a small portion of my collection was purchased from him. But boy oh boy what I got from him. Most of my collecting is not nostalgia driven. My nostalgia was for Kirby silver age Captain America. I don't have much, but most was from Conrad. It was always pleasant doing business with him.

On 3/21/2023 at 7:47 PM, taro90 said:

RIP....:( One the of top guys in the business.

Conrad was an interesting gentleman for sure purchased my all time favorite Sal Buscema  Incredible Hulk splash from him in Philadelphia. Made my day way back then one of my most memorable art days ever. 

I purchased some artwork from Conrad, from over  here in the UK, quite a while back . . . a Ditko ASM page, a Kirby/Sinnott FF page and a complete book of pre-code Horror.

I always regarded him as a straight-shooter, totally honest and reliable, responding quickly to my enquiries and his art offerings seemed reasonably priced.

Sorry to hear of his passing . . . I always regarded him as one of the good guys amongst dealers.

Edited by The Voord

Conrad was one of the dealers I preferred to visit at SDCC in the late 90s-early 2000s. One of the few OA dealers that carried comics and ephemera also. I still have the art I purchased from him. I had not seen him in nearly 20 years and I could tell his health was failing then. RIP Conrad.

Edited by MyNameIsLegion

I set up next to him at the Rockville Center show for several months.  He was an established dealer and I was a new kid.  He wasn't particularly friendly, but he gave me some great tips. Over the years we'd run into each other and have brief discussions. 

He always struck me as a good man, which is not something I can say about a lot of old school dealers.

Rest in Peace.