• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

If I have a Card Graded as a CGC 9.5 with No Sub Grades, Am I allowed to Submit it back to acquire Sub Grades?

10 posts in this topic

As the title says, I am wondering if I am able to resubmit a card that was graded with no Sub-Grades and add Sub-grades to it?

Will I need to regrade it for that and can I put a Min-Grade to keep it in the 9.5 Slab?

• Administrator

Hello @Youey

Thank you for reaching out to us. If you would like to have subgrades added to your card, you can submit it for regrading. When we receive the card, it will be cracked-out of its holder and graded as raw card. I am sorry, but we do not offer the option to screen the card for a minimum grade before cracking it out. The service fees will be the grading fee according to the tier chosen and the subgrade fee of $15.00. 

If you have any other questions, please let us know. 

On 3/29/2023 at 8:27 AM, NickiO CS said:

Hello @Youey

Thank you for reaching out to us. If you would like to have subgrades added to your card, you can submit it for regrading. When we receive the card, it will be cracked-out of its holder and graded as raw card. I am sorry, but we do not offer the option to screen the card for a minimum grade before cracking it out. The service fees will be the grading fee according to the tier chosen and the subgrade fee of $5.00. 

Isn't it $15 for subgrades?... I wish it was only $5... $15 is crazy for extra ink on the label....

Screenshot_20230329_105736_Chrome.jpg

Edited by HomeGrownPoke1

Hello @Youey

Thank you for reaching out to us. If you would like to have subgrades added to your card, you can submit it for regrading. When we receive the card, it will be cracked-out of its holder and graded as raw card. I am sorry, but we do not offer the option to screen the card for a minimum grade before cracking it out. The service fees will be the grading fee according to the tier chosen and the subgrade fee of $5.00. 

@KaileeS CS and @NickiO CS

Just a friendly suggestion, CGC needs a process better than the current one for customers wishing to add subgrades to their labels.

It's like CGC is not willing to honor their previously given grades. 

BGS, the other company that offers subgrades, will add subgrades to a label for the cost of grading without "regrading the card as though it's raw." They will honor the previously given grade. It's a very strange stance for CGC to take, to not honor their previously given grades for repeat customers who are asking for a service that should be very easy for CGC to preform. CGC is discouraging customers from giving them repeat business.

Something else to consider: the vast majority of CGC labels out there don't have subgrades. Customers are choosing not to get them because $15 is too steep a price to pay - as another poster said - for some extra ink on a label. BGS offers subgrades for a lower price. CGC used to as well before raising the price from $10 to $15. 

CGC should be encouraging customers to opt for subgrades, not discouraging them from doing so as they are now.

Could you please share this feedback with your internal team?

I am sorry, but we do not offer the option to screen the card for a minimum grade before cracking it out.

You have a Crossover option for "same grade or higher."

Doesn't that mean you have to screen the card before cracking it out?

• Administrator
On 3/29/2023 at 10:57 AM, HomeGrownPoke1 said:

Isn't it $15 for subgrades?... I wish it was only $5... $15 is crazy for extra ink on the label....

Screenshot_20230329_105736_Chrome.jpg

@HomeGrownPoke1 My apologies for the typo and any confusion caused. I usually catch and correct them before I post! 

• Administrator
On 4/11/2023 at 7:02 PM, RoLaren said:

@KaileeS CS and @NickiO CS

Just a friendly suggestion, CGC needs a process better than the current one for customers wishing to add subgrades to their labels.

It's like CGC is not willing to honor their previously given grades. 

BGS, the other company that offers subgrades, will add subgrades to a label for the cost of grading without "regrading the card as though it's raw." They will honor the previously given grade. It's a very strange stance for CGC to take, to not honor their previously given grades for repeat customers who are asking for a service that should be very easy for CGC to preform. CGC is discouraging customers from giving them repeat business.

Something else to consider: the vast majority of CGC labels out there don't have subgrades. Customers are choosing not to get them because $15 is too steep a price to pay - as another poster said - for some extra ink on a label. BGS offers subgrades for a lower price. CGC used to as well before raising the price from $10 to $15. 

CGC should be encouraging customers to opt for subgrades, not discouraging them from doing so as they are now.

Could you please share this feedback with your internal team?

Hello @RoLaren

Thank you for the feedback. I will gladly share this with our grading and management teams. 

Have a great day!

• Administrator
On 4/11/2023 at 7:06 PM, RoLaren said:

You have a Crossover option for "same grade or higher."

Doesn't that mean you have to screen the card before cracking it out?

Hello @RoLaren

A card submitted for Crossover will be evaluated in its PSA or Beckett holder when the "same grade or better" option has been chosen. If this evaluation determines that it will receive the same grade or better, the card will be cracked out and processed normally. If it is determined that the card will not receive the same grade at minimum, it will be returned as-is.