• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Must-Read Kirby Article On CNN Front-Page
1 1

26 posts in this topic

On 4/3/2023 at 8:49 AM, Ryan. said:

I give this a high recommendation. 

6001326.jpg

Is this actually written by Tom Scioli? I love that guy, and he's absolutely OBSESSED with Kirby. I love his Kirby-infused work he does. Anyone who hasn't read Transformers/GIJOE is missing out. It's a wild ride, literally like a child playing with their favourite toys and coming up with an outlandish adventure. Fun, fun stuff. 

On 4/2/2023 at 8:42 PM, Cat said:

Is this actually written by Tom Scioli? I love that guy, and he's absolutely OBSESSED with Kirby. I love his Kirby-infused work he does. Anyone who hasn't read Transformers/GIJOE is missing out. It's a wild ride, literally like a child playing with their favourite toys and coming up with an outlandish adventure. Fun, fun stuff. 

https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=54600703

On 4/3/2023 at 11:06 AM, Ryan. said:

Cheers for the link, mate. I'll have to pick up a copy. Shame it's not on Kindle. 

Great article. I never knew about the protests and death threats over Captain America. 

Through today's lens you just assume everyone would be pretty aligned with an American Hero punching Hitler in the face. But a full year before Pearl Harbor, the country wasn't yet united against Germany. 

On 4/3/2023 at 1:42 AM, Cat said:

Also, the excellent Gødland. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godland_(comics)

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 4/2/2023 at 11:49 PM, Ryan. said:

I give this a high recommendation. 

6001326.jpg

Yup. It’s superb.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 4/2/2023 at 3:53 PM, SpideyFein said:

Great article! All hail the King!!! I never knew he went to Normandy! 

There is a documentary about this, free on tubi now.  To be honest, it's probably longer than it needs to be and not the most enthralling, but worth watching nonetheless.

https://tubitv.com/movies/562030/kirby-at-war  

When I saw this it was a main, bolded article on the CNN front-page. To me that was thrilling seeing the King getting that kind of exposure to a wider audience. I hope many 'civilians' have now been exposed to the Kirby name and are aware of the vital contributions he made to the MCU they know and love. Or used to love. 

On 4/2/2023 at 9:27 PM, KCOComics said:

Great article. I never knew about the protests and death threats over Captain America. 

Through today's lens you just assume everyone would be pretty aligned with an American Hero punching Hitler in the face. But a full year before Pearl Harbor, the country wasn't yet united against Germany. 

Call me crazy, but maybe it had something to do with the ethnic backgrounds of the founders of the Soviet Union being the same as Kirby's. Or the fact those despots murdered million of Christians during the Holodomor.  Or possibly it could have had something to do with the Red Scare bombings of the early 20th century etc.  

On 4/10/2023 at 12:11 AM, zephyr424 said:

Call me crazy, but maybe it had something to do with the ethnic backgrounds of the founders of the Soviet Union being the same as Kirby's. Or the fact those despots murdered million of Christians during the Holodomor.  Or possibly it could have had something to do with the Red Scare bombings of the early 20th century etc.  

The USSR was first on team Hitler in WWII working with him in carving up Poland. Then the Nazi’s invaded.Russia AFTER CA 1 came out. So seems doubtful that Nazi sympathizers upset with the CA1 cover were upset due to anti-Communist sympathy.  More likely they were just anti-Jewish bigots.

Did not know that Jewish Jacob Kurtzberg born in the USA was the same ethnicity as non-Jewish Russian Lenin and Georgian Stalin. LoL!  Again doubt that is why CA1 was attacked by Nazi sympathizing “America firsters’” who favored US isolation and abandoning England and France. FDR, history shows, got US entry into WWII right and so did Timely.

Edited by sfcityduck