• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

June 2023 Heritage Signature Auction #7340
4 4

566 posts in this topic

On 5/26/2023 at 11:05 AM, Dr. Balls said:

I see what you're saying - it's a $130 page to the buyer regardless of venue. And it's hard to play "what if it was on Ebay" because you never know if it were to end up there anyways. It would be a $100 page on Ebay, but it's not on there - and that's the point of it being on HA. The argument being that they have better stuff there.

We're just 20-something years into HA comic art auctions, I didn't think people were still taken aback by the BP as a surprise. The mental math of everyone I talk to is including it in their number from preliminary bidding to final. When you do that what you pay is what you pay regardless of venue and you're right about better selection on HA and better (or at least more guaranteed) service levels over a random dude on eBay

On 5/26/2023 at 10:15 AM, comix4fun said:

We're just 20-something years into HA comic art auctions, I didn't think people were still taken aback by the BP as a surprise. The mental math of everyone I talk to is including it in their number from preliminary bidding to final.

I'm just a cheapskate when it comes to line-item pricing. It also annoys me when I see "tire disposal fee" when I buy a new set of tires for $1800 and then there's another $65 charge on the bill. I like the idea of when my sausage fingers type in $100, it's $100. But that's not how the world works. :preach:

On 5/26/2023 at 8:04 AM, comix4fun said:

I know a couple of folks who do exactly that. Good point. 

I do it too, except the advantage has decreased, I think they charge a service fee per package now, not zero shipping.

Malvin

On 5/26/2023 at 11:48 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I believe HA charges 10% to sellers (13% or so for Ebay sellers) and then Buyer's Premium - at least here on the cheap stuff - 29% to the buyer, which adds to the sales tax overall. Shipping seems even money. So in this situation, HA gets 40% fees on the sale of a $100 page. That seems a bit much.

BP on HA is 20%, but subject to a $29 minimum.  So it may indeed not pay to buy small ticket items on HA.

BP, whether $29 or 20% if that's more than $29, should be factored into your bid.  Don't bid $100 and be "surprised" when you have to pay $129, it's all disclosed upfront. 

Instead, if $100 is the amount you're actually willing to pay, then your bid should be $71 and then with the BP the gross amount you'll have to pay, if you win, is $100.  For items where the 20% will be relevant, I figure out how much I'm willing to pay and then divide by 1.2 to determine the actual bid amount, which then with the 20% will come out to exactly the amount I'm willing to pay.

On 5/26/2023 at 10:46 PM, RafaVia said:

HA doesn’t allow to hold stuff and make a pile from several auction to combine shipping???

Yes they do.  I don't believe that CC or CL do.

On 5/26/2023 at 3:46 PM, RafaVia said:

HA doesn’t allow to hold stuff and make a pile from several auction to combine shipping???

As Tim has already advised, HA do hold art and will combine shipping to get your multiple wins under one all-in shipping charge . . . but you need to instruct them to place your wins 'on hold' until such time as you give them the green light to release, otherwise they will ship out individually.

Edited by The Voord

On 5/27/2023 at 4:51 AM, tth2 said:

BP, whether $29 or 20% if that's more than $29, should be factored into your bid.  Don't bid $100 and be "surprised" when you have to pay $129, it's all disclosed upfront. 

Instead, if $100 is the amount you're actually willing to pay, then your bid should be $71 and then with the BP the gross amount you'll have to pay, if you win, is $100.  For items where the 20% will be relevant, I figure out how much I'm willing to pay and then divide by 1.2 to determine the actual bid amount, which then with the 20% will come out to exactly the amount I'm willing to pay.

Absolutely, do the maths!

Had this scenario on my movie art FB group several years ago when I gave a heads-up to the members of a UK auction house offering-up something like 150 vintage OA movie paintings.  One Italian collector was up in arms over the 25% BP and we had this discussion of factoring-in the surcharge into your hammer price bidding to take into account final overall price to stay in budget.  Italian guy couldn't quite adopt the mentality, so refused to bid on any offering that included this 'outrageous' BP amount!

I went into the auction with an overall budget in mind . . . factored-in the BP into my live auction bidding . . . and came away with five 'steals', well below what I was expecting to pay (all artworks sold, and many sold for very reasonable amounts).  My only regret was that I didn't pursue more art!

After the auction was over, Italian guy started enquiring about sold artworks he'd had his eyes on . . . that he could easily have won if only he swallowed his pride and did the maths!  I just replied to one of his posts saying something to the effect of, "Well, if you're now looking for certain artworks re-surfacing, you'll very likely be paying a big mark-up in price over what they sold for . . .  that including the dreaded  (Shock!  Horror!! Gasp!!!") 25% BP."

He still didn't get it . . . :facepalm:

*  With apologies to any Italian guys on this forum . . . my Mr. Italian guy is probably a one-off.

Edited by The Voord

On 5/27/2023 at 5:00 PM, The Voord said:

One Italian collector was up in arms over the 25% BP and we had this discussion of factoring-in the surcharge into your hammer price bidding to take into account final overall price to stay in budget.  Italian guy couldn't quite adopt the mentality, so refused to bid on any offering that included this 'outrageous' BP amount!

I went into the auction with an overall budget in mind . . . factored-in the BP into my live auction bidding . . . and came away with five 'steals', well below what I was expecting to pay (all artworks sold, and many sold for very reasonable amounts).  My only regret was that I didn't pursue more art!

After the auction was over, Italian guy started enquiring about sold artworks he'd had his eyes on . . . that he could easily have won if only he swallowed his pride and did the maths!  I just replied to one of his posts saying something to the effect of, "Well, if you're now looking for certain artworks re-surfacing, you'll very likely be paying a big mark-up in price over what they sold for . . .  that including the dreaded  (Shock!  Horror!! Gasp!!!") 25% BP."

He still didn't get it . . . :facepalm:

*  With apologies to any Italian guys on this forum . . . my Mr. Italian guy is probably a one-off.

It's definitely not just Mr. Italian guy.  There are a zillion people on these Boards who are similarly mathematically (or conceptually) challenged.

On 5/26/2023 at 10:51 PM, tth2 said:

BP on HA is 20%, but subject to a $29 minimum.  So it may indeed not pay to buy small ticket items on HA.

So many numbers....
giphy-61.gif.28ddf6a55d907a983d335e1944e20285.gif