• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

June 2023 Heritage Signature Auction #7340
4 4

566 posts in this topic

On 4/26/2023 at 5:25 PM, Bronty said:

I don't follow, or I don't agree I guess.   He more or less invented that 60s/70s fantasy aesthetic.    One can argue if that's a notable accomplishment or not, but there's surely originality there.

Adamstrange appeared to be sarcastic about Warhol’s  and Lichtenstein’s artistic originality. I disagreed. They were excellent artists, but original in different ways than Frazetta. I pretty much share Michael Browning’s views.

On 4/27/2023 at 5:25 AM, MyNameIsLegion said:

At nearly 500 pieces posted so far - we are at least 60+% of the way though the total auction catalog:

if you subtract out 10 or so blue chip pieces - this looks like someone took the entire contents of several of the better performing weekly auctions circa 2016 and dumped them together. Even the blue chip pieces would have been at best top quarter of a Signature auction in 2007. You got 1 Frazetta catalog cover headliner and that’s it. This is one mangy dog of an auction. Consignments have dried up except for boomers hoping to pay the bills. If Gen-Xers sit this one out consignors are hosed. Nuthin here a millennial would ever want. 

I think you may be right. It suggests to me that consignors think prices are down, so they are only offering their lesser pieces for now to raise money.

On 4/27/2023 at 2:25 AM, MyNameIsLegion said:

At nearly 500 pieces posted so far - we are at least 60+% of the way though the total auction catalog:

if you subtract out 10 or so blue chip pieces - this looks like someone took the entire contents of several of the better performing weekly auctions circa 2016 and dumped them together. Even the blue chip pieces would have been at best top quarter of a Signature auction in 2007. You got 1 Frazetta catalog cover headliner and that’s it. This is one mangy dog of an auction. Consignments have dried up except for boomers hoping to pay the bills. If Gen-Xers sit this one out consignors are hosed. Nuthin here a millennial would ever want. 

I was wondering why I got a marketing email asking for consignments for this auction. I never get those emails. In fact, my last email from a Heritage consignment manager was them telling me, to my surprise, they don't accept consignments of lots sold in certain categories due to poor repeat performance. Wish I knew that before.

On 4/27/2023 at 10:01 PM, cstojano said:

In fact, my last email from a Heritage consignment manager was them telling me, to my surprise, they don't accept consignments of lots sold in certain categories due to poor repeat performance.

Out of curiosity, what are those categories?

On 4/27/2023 at 10:01 PM, cstojano said:

I was wondering why I got a marketing email asking for consignments for this auction. I never get those emails. In fact, my last email from a Heritage consignment manager was them telling me, to my surprise, they don't accept consignments of lots sold in certain categories due to poor repeat performance. Wish I knew that before.

I get that all the time and I'm an absosolute nobody. I always thot it was a result of me winning some auctions over the years.

On 4/27/2023 at 7:08 AM, tth2 said:

Out of curiosity, what are those categories?

I had asked about animation cels. HA is great on the buying side, the selling side has been difficult for me. I have a lot of stuff that falls across categories and I can't really seem to get one person to fully engage. No, it's not 100k of material, but it's certainly in the 10s of 1000s. I see the random beat Star Wars toys they sell and scratch my head a bit. 

On 4/26/2023 at 3:25 PM, Bronty said:

I don't follow, or I don't agree I guess.   He more or less invented that 60s/70s fantasy aesthetic.    One can argue if that's a notable accomplishment or not, but there's surely originality there.

I'm asking out of genuine curiosity, not being obtuse.  But isn't Frazetta's aesthetic pretty derivative of J Allen St John?  I don't know what the prevailing opinion is on this.  Obviously almost all art is derivative in some fashion, but the gap between the two doesn't seem to be a giant chasm.  

I humbly disagree...inspired perhaps but definitely not derivative. I'm a fan of J Allen. Beautiful art but Frank captured the savagery, power and sexiness in his art that J allen never did. If j allen is jethro tull, then Frank frazetta is iron maiden. Both are rock bands but one plays the flute while the other has 3 guitarists. 

On 4/27/2023 at 11:39 AM, Grendel72 said:

I humbly disagree...inspired perhaps but definitely not derivative. I'm a fan of J Allen. Beautiful art but Frank captured the savagery, power and sexiness in his art that J allen never did. If j allen is jethro tull, then Frank frazetta is iron maiden. Both are rock bands but one plays the flute while the other has 3 guitarists. 

Dude: Crest of a Knave :headbang:

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/metallica-grammy-jethro-tull/

Edited by MyNameIsLegion

On 4/27/2023 at 12:39 PM, Grendel72 said:

bahahaha great description.   I never thought of myself as liking Jethro Tull before.

On 4/28/2023 at 12:39 AM, Grendel72 said:

lol  I'm a JASJ fan too, and agree with your post 100%. (thumbsu

On 5/6/2023 at 8:32 AM, KirbyCollector said:

This is back? Sold on HA in 2020 for 25K.