• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2023 CGC Grading Contest Season 2 Spring Edition (#6) Round 2
16 16

173 posts in this topic

On 4/26/2023 at 7:38 AM, Point Five said:

We're guessing CGC's grade. It's easy to psych yourself out when you do that... sometimes I'll overgrade because I'll think 'CGC usually gives a pass on XYZ defect in GA books' (that Flash Comics from Round 1 is a good example). Then I'll see the actual grade and say **oof**... not so much.

My biggest mistake is shaping my grade as if it is my book and I'm going to sell it.  Classic undergrading strategy in my case because I as a rule always wanted the buyer to be happy and not return the book (talking about raw books obviously that I am grading myself).  :tonofbricks:

Gotta get that out of my head.  Although I have a tendency to overgrade GA books.  And then contrary to my undergrading tendency I remember what Steve Borock said "always give the book the highest grade it deserves."

On 4/26/2023 at 2:16 AM, Grendel72 said:

Im just curious....those of you who have the top tier scores, are u grading based on what you think the grade should be or based on how cgc grades? 

I grade based on my opinion of defects apparent in the scans. Lately, my CGC orders generally come back in grades that are at least within a half-point of what I thought they would be.

It's tricky to accurately grade with scans of the front and back. Much better to hold and inspect the book, like the CGC graders have done with all of the contest comics. With that in mind, no one should get down on themselves for not doing better. 

On 4/26/2023 at 1:52 PM, trmoore54 said:

My biggest mistake is shaping my grade as if it is my book and I'm going to sell it.

I do the opposite. I imagine the book as if I'm looking to buy it and it is offered on a large comics retailer's site. I ask myself, "would I pay 6.0 (or any grade for example) money for this"?