• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone have numbers on the Newsstand edition run for ASM 298?
2 2

26 posts in this topic

I am very curious on how many newsstand editions exist for this issue (I wish we could differentiate between newsstand and direct on the CGC census :()

I am trying to find the fair value for a 298 newsstand in a 9.8 grade, but since there are so few sales of newsstand 298's in 9.8, it's hard to figure out the exact demand for one.

On 4/18/2023 at 6:37 PM, valiantman said:

Only 3 recorded sales of CGC 9.8 ASM #298 Newsstand on GPAnalysis, with the earliest being March 2022. The most recent sale price was $2,800, but none have sold since November 2022.

In the same timeframe (since March 2022), there have been 57 sales of CGC 9.8 ASM #298 Direct Editions, averaging around $700, but as low as $434 in the past month.

At this point, I'll also offer the (pointless) information that others can't stop themselves from posting in every newsstand topic so that no one ever has any "delusions" that any of this information is useful.

"There's no way to know how many newsstands exist or what percentage of newsstands are out there..."

"GPAnalysis is not the entire market, so its numbers are meaningless..."

"No one knows if unsold newsstands were actually destroyed, so there could be mountains of CGC 9.8-worthy raw newsstands in a warehouse somewhere... but even if not, we'll keep saying it because it's impossible to prove there isn't."

"Barcodes are ugly."

"I was told there wouldn't be any math."

"I hope it's not obvious that I'm just angry that I spent all that time in comic shops buying direct editions just like pretty much everyone else and now people are realizing direct editions are significantly easier to get because of it and so I need to come up with an excuse that the harder to find newsstand books shouldn't be worth any extra because I didn't buy as many as I'd like back-in-the-day and they're not available for me to go get now either... wait a minute... that was supposed to be a thought, not typed out... don't read this one... just read the next one."

"Anyone who pays even one penny extra for a newsstand is a fool, and they've been tricked by hucksters, charlatans, snake oil salesmen, and their own eyes, because I don't see how they could possibly see anything different from what I see without being tricked."

Thank you very much for this info!

I don’t have GPAnalysis, but I do have covrprice and that shows a March 2022 sale for $5000. Is that the same price GPAnalysis shows for that March sale?

On 4/18/2023 at 7:27 PM, Timed said:

I don’t have GPAnalysis, but I do have covrprice and that shows a March 2022 sale for $5000. Is that the same price GPAnalysis shows for that March sale?

Yes, the 3 sales are $5,000, $2,000, and $2,800.

On 4/18/2023 at 8:27 PM, Timed said:

It is likely the same. I use GoCollect, and they show the same sale. I would ere more toward that last sale of $2800, though the more scarce something is (ASM 298 Newsstand in 9.8, for example), the more erratic and unpredictable the sales seem to be. Simply put, newsstand 9.8's of ASM 298 don't sell very often. You could check to see if any are listed on eBay or other sites currently, though again, some of those prices might be bloated comic boom prices of books that have been sitting there for months. I'd take anything before the middle-end of 2022 with a big grain of salt, considering how much prices are falling, and err on the conservative side. Needless to say, that book in newsstand 9.8 is almost certainly very, very uncommon, and some people will pay a big premium for it. Good luck! (Also, be very, very careful about mentioning the words 'newsstand' and 'how many'/'print run' together on this site lol)

Edited by Nsschenks

On 4/18/2023 at 7:54 PM, valiantman said:

Yes, the 3 sales are $5,000, $2,000, and $2,800.

Thank you!

On 4/18/2023 at 8:01 PM, Nsschenks said:

It is likely the same. I use GoCollect, and they show the same sale. I would ere more toward that last sale of $2800, though the more scarce something is (ASM 298 Newsstand in 9.8, for example), the more erratic and unpredictable the sales seem to be. Simply put, newsstand 9.8's of ASM 298 don't sell very often. You could check to see if any are listed on eBay or other sites currently, though again, some of those prices might be bloated comic boom prices of books that have been sitting there for months. I'd take anything before the middle-end of 2022 with a big grain of salt, considering how much prices are falling, and err on the conservative side. Needless to say, that book in newsstand 9.8 is almost certainly very, very uncommon, and some people will pay a big premium for it. Good luck! (Also, be very, very careful about mentioning the words 'newsstand' and 'how many'/'print run' together on this site lol)

There are none at all listed on eBay, or anywhere that I can find for that matter... hm

Definitely seems to be very rare. Appreciate the knowledge :cheers:

On 4/18/2023 at 8:24 PM, Timed said:

Thank you!

There are none at all listed on eBay, or anywhere that I can find for that matter... hm

Definitely seems to be very rare. Appreciate the knowledge :cheers:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/134526804706?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=iTCxAxfsTq6&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=7E5MFoj2QFm&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

On 4/18/2023 at 9:55 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

:acclaim:

I felt dumb initially seeing that, but no wonder it didn't come up in my search results. They didn't write newsstand in the title and I searched "amazing spiderman 298 newsstand" (:

Thank you very much, just added it to my watchlist!

At this point, I'll also offer the (pointless) information that others can't stop themselves from posting in every newsstand topic so that no one ever has any "delusions" that any of this information is useful.

"There's no way to know how many newsstands exist or what percentage of newsstands are out there..."

Obviously true.

No kidding. GPA is nothing. A niche within a niche within a niche.

"No one knows if unsold newsstands were actually destroyed, so there could be mountains of CGC 9.8-worthy raw newsstands in a warehouse somewhere... but even if not, we'll keep saying it because it's impossible to prove there isn't."

Actually, we know that not all unsold Newsstands were destroyed. The only question is how many survived.

"I hope it's not obvious that I'm just angry that I spent all that time in comic shops buying direct editions just like pretty much everyone else and now people are realizing direct editions are significantly easier to get because of it and so I need to come up with an excuse that the harder to find newsstand books shouldn't be worth any extra because I didn't buy as many as I'd like back-in-the-day and they're not available for me to go get now either... wait a minute... that was supposed to be a thought, not typed out... don't read this one... just read the next one."

Yeah, this doesn't show any agenda or reflect poorly on the writer rather than the alleged people who would ever say that (but don't actually exist).

"Anyone who pays even one penny extra for a newsstand is a fool, and they've been tricked by hucksters, charlatans, snake oil salesmen, and their own eyes, because I don't see how they could possibly see anything different from what I see without being tricked."

FACT: Until the massive Newsstand misinformation campaign(s), there was nothing even close to a consistent premium being paid for Newsstands, nor was there much attention paid to them. The current Newsstand market absolutely cannot be separated from the tons of literally unbelievable nonsense.

On 4/18/2023 at 10:07 PM, Timed said:

:acclaim:

I felt dumb initially seeing that, but no wonder it didn't come up in my search results. They didn't write newsstand in the title and I searched "amazing spiderman 298 newsstand" (:

Thank you very much, just added it to my watchlist!

You can't expect people to put "Newsstand" in their listing title. Most people still don't care about Newsstands, including the biggest online comic shop!

As far as the thread topic goes, there are tons of ASM 298 Newsstands out there. They are not rare at all.

On 4/18/2023 at 10:49 PM, Lazyboy said:

FACT: Until the massive Newsstand misinformation campaign(s), there was nothing even close to a consistent premium being paid for Newsstands, nor was there much attention paid to them. The current Newsstand market absolutely cannot be separated from the tons of literally unbelievable nonsense.

FACT: Every type of collectible has people spouting nonsense about rarity and the market always has misinformation blended into what is actually selling at what price. Despite decades of lies, people are not overpaying for beanie babies and Disney black diamond VHS tapes, and both of which are newer than ASM #298. For beanies and VHS, the supply exceeds demand and the market reflects this fact.

If the supply of newsstand comics exceeds demand, there will be no premium. For now, CGC 9.8 ASM #298 Newsstand sells for more than the direct edition.

On 4/18/2023 at 10:49 PM, Lazyboy said:

No kidding. GPA is nothing. A niche within a niche within a niche.

There are 60 sales of CGC 9.8 ASM #298 recorded in GPAnalysis for the past 12 months... where are the other sources of sales records that we should be checking so that it's not "a niche within a niche within a niche"? It sounds like you believe 60 sales in 12 months is just the tip of the iceberg. Where else should we be looking so that the 60 recorded sales of CGC 9.8 ASM #298 are just a drop in the bucket to this full market you're referencing?

**crickets**

On 4/18/2023 at 10:54 PM, Lazyboy said:

You can't expect people to put "Newsstand" in their listing title. Most people still don't care about Newsstands, including the biggest online comic shop!

As far as the thread topic goes, there are tons of ASM 298 Newsstands out there. They are not rare at all.

Maybe you are correct in saying ASM 298 Newsstands are not "rare", but would you say that ASM 298 Newsstands in 9.8 are rare? Cause it definitely seems to be the case, being as there is only one listed online and only a few have popped up over time.

On 4/20/2023 at 4:07 PM, Topnotchman said:

Checked my old inventory and I sold 12 copies in 9.8 in the past ten years, all copies were direct. 

On 4/20/2023 at 4:07 PM, Topnotchman said:

Checked my old inventory and I sold 12 copies in 9.8 in the past ten years, all copies were direct. 

And here I only have a 9.6 and 2 8.5's plus a raw. I'm beginning to wish I hadn't stopped buying them before finding a 9.8 (is available).