• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has variant fatigue set in?
2 2

29 posts in this topic

On 4/19/2023 at 3:57 PM, Lazyboy said:

I've been tired of them for a long time...

and I don't even buy them!

Me too, I liked them for milestone issues but then it has become impossible to get most. I feel bad for collectors lets say buying ASM for 50 years but missed out on let's say the #666 Del'Otto variant and would pay more for that than early issues in the run. 

Nah, I'm good with variants, I love seeing all the different art. Now if I were a completionist that felt compelled to collect every variant in a particular run, THEN I would likely be tired (and broke).

I don’t mind if they’re clearly labeled.  I have been buying All-Star Batman back issues from Cheap buns and have not been sure if what I’m picking up is part of the same series.  To be fair there are a million Batman series so getting them mixed up probably happens more frequently than in others.

For me is even worst than that, donwright i refuse to buy anything other than Cover A. If i buy a lot and there is a B in i resell it!

I hate this freakin cover B

Some of the early variants of books were incidental; not a gimmick. For instance, there were 25¢ and 30¢ variants of some books that were published around the time prices were increasing (or possibly because some copies were meant to be sold In Canada). There were Gold Key and Whitman variants of books based on where the books were sold. The publishing companies weren't deliberately creating variants in order to sell multiple issues of the same book to collectors.

Now variants are a gimmick—publishing companies are trying to manufacture collectability. To me, variants became tiresome as soon as that started.

Variant fatigue is very real.  I used to be a Superman completionist, the New 52 pretty much put a stop to that, at least eventually.  At least with DC, Reboot-itis and Plot-Line-interurpt-osis for the mega-crossovers were also large scale factors to me dropping pretty much all new comic purchases about 2 years ago. 

My personal theory is that we may live to see the day when they do away with staples and wraps.  They'll just have a single sheet of paper with a cover on one side and a single page of story on the other, with 22-ish variant covers, one for each page.  You could read it in the slab that way. :insane:

Variants are fun....  once or twice a year per title. 

On 9/12/2023 at 4:42 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

Some of the early variants of books were incidental; not a gimmick. For instance, there were 25¢ and 30¢ variants of some books that were published around the time prices were increasing (or possibly because some copies were meant to be sold In Canada). There were Gold Key and Whitman variants of books based on where the books were sold. The publishing companies weren't deliberately creating variants in order to sell multiple issues of the same book to collectors.

Now variants are a gimmick—publishing companies are trying to manufacture collectability. To me, variants became tiresome as soon as that started.

I have much more fun hunting the un-intentional ones to be honest.

There was a booth at Baltimore which was offering boxes and boxes of variants for $5 a piece but you could get a whole short box for $100 (which is less than $1 a piece).  I don't venture into that end of the pool but that one booth is what I think of when people ask about variant fatigue.

I never understood variants where the variant cover was not as good as the regular cover. I see a lot of variants done by pretty average artists, and I don't want to be judgy, there's a lot of people who get the work done, etc. and visually tell a good story. The WD interior art was nothing special an artistic perspective, but it worked. 

But yeah, something like the LSH 23 supergirl cover, I get. Iconic, gorgeous, etc.