• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heroes Con 2023 - Charlotte NC - June 16-18 (STERANKO, SIENKIEWIC, CLAREMONT, THOMAS, JRJR, SHOOTER, FRENZ, GRELL, more!)
2 2

76 posts in this topic

I didn’t see one started for this show so I figured I would start one.  Very excited for a true COMIC show!!!

The lineup they have announced so far is crazy.  Here is just a partial list:

BILL SIENKIEWIC

CHRIS CLAREMONT

STEVE EPTING

JOSE LUIS GARCIA-LOPEZ

JOHN ROMITA JR.

ALEX SAVIUK

JIM SHOOTER

CHARLES VESS

RON WILSON

SKOTTIE YOUNG

AL MILGROM

JEREMY BASTIAN

BRETT BREEDING

SCOTT HANNA

TONY HARRIS

JOE RUBINSTEIN

RON FRENZ

MIKE GRELL

BOB HALL

JAE LEE

KHOI PHAM

BUDD ROOT

DON ROSA

JIM STERANKO

ROY THOMAS

Edited by SkOw

On 5/14/2023 at 11:42 AM, SkOw said:

Board consensus is that this and Baltimore are the 2 best large shows for books. 

I have never been but I've good things. Although I do enjoy a nice local show now and then, I have been trying to peg what shows are the best for rarer and quality books. Since my work usually has be booked pretty heavy in fall and spring, summer and winter are usually my only windows. 

Texas has some local shows and even the Big Fan Expos can be fun, but I wouldn't deem events like them worthy of traveling for. So just trying to get an idea. Don't want to spend money to travel only to be disappointed with the actual comic selection.

I think it really depends on what you're looking for, I'm primarily a Golden age and original art collector, so I don't care about moderns, dollar bins  toys especially walls of Pops, cosplay and shirts.   I like organization, books that aren't so packed in a box I can actually flip through them, a staff who acknowledges that I'm there and I don't have to interrupt their intense conversation to get some help.

Rosemont has always been a better show for me buying wise, by far, but with Chicago seeing an uptick in crime I know of several dealers who are cutting it from their lineup.   I'm surprised at Baltimore's reputation because I've been twice and that was a bust both times for me.  That said, Heroes is truly comics only (at Baltimore this year a dealer was saying to me he loves Baltimore so much because it's only comics oriented, and then we were interrupted by the Disney Princess parade that marched down the aisle-- what comics are they in?), although there are a lot of toys and modern books at Heroes too.

Price wise I see a lot of books priced aggressively and that seems to turn a lot of buyers off.  I've found that if you have cash and you don't mind negotiating like you're buying a new rug in a Moroccan street bazaar you'll do ok.  Bundles bring value.

On 5/15/2023 at 8:54 AM, AndyFish said:

I think it really depends on what you're looking for, I'm primarily a Golden age and original art collector, so I don't care about moderns, dollar bins  toys especially walls of Pops, cosplay and shirts.   I like organization, books that aren't so packed in a box I can actually flip through them, a staff who acknowledges that I'm there and I don't have to interrupt their intense conversation to get some help.

Rosemont has always been a better show for me buying wise, by far, but with Chicago seeing an uptick in crime I know of several dealers who are cutting it from their lineup.   I'm surprised at Baltimore's reputation because I've been twice and that was a bust both times for me.  That said, Heroes is truly comics only (at Baltimore this year a dealer was saying to me he loves Baltimore so much because it's only comics oriented, and then we were interrupted by the Disney Princess parade that marched down the aisle-- what comics are they in?), although there are a lot of toys and modern books at Heroes too.

Price wise I see a lot of books priced aggressively and that seems to turn a lot of buyers off.  I've found that if you have cash and you don't mind negotiating like you're buying a new rug in a Moroccan street bazaar you'll do ok.  Bundles bring value.

I hear what your saying. Although I don't mind attending a con that has cosplay or celebrities, thats usually something I would do on an unplanned saturday in town with my dad or wife who like to peruse and look at the fanfare and we can joke or be lighthearted about things. Thats not what I want to spend a plane ticket and hotel on. I have been to both collectors summit events and shortboxed live. Shortboxed live had too many "influencers" for my liking, but overall still a good event. The quality of books at those three events have been very good, but then again those are driven as higher end comic shows. Im trying to find the next batch of shows that would be in that realm. From what I hear Heroes and now Baltimore may be it. 

Haven't been to either for many years but they were two of the best for lots of vintage dealers. I might also say Terry O'Neil's CalCon in February. A one day show that has morphed a bit into two days. Packed with GA/SA. And a nice short vacation to enjoy SO CA weather in the winter. 

For me though, one of the real highlights is the art auction. Until last year, when they moved them off to one end, there was a huge central seating area with raised stage right at the entrance, where artists would paint and draw, and often put the finished product up for sale on Saturday night at the auction.

ericpowell1.JPG

olderHeroescond.JPG

olderHeroescone.JPG

stelfreeze1.JPG

stelfreeze2.JPG

stelfreeze3.JPG

stelfreeze4.JPG