• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Crossover opinion *updated with photos*
1 1

6 posts in this topic

I’m on the fence about this and would like to get some opinions to help me make up my mind. 

I got a CBCS 9.8 Ultimate Fallout #4 and I want to reslab it with CGC. There is thought, a small COLOR-BREAKING spine tic. It’s between 1/16 and 1/8 of an inch right in the middle. There doesn’t appear to be any other defects and in the grader notes it mentions the tic (but nothing else). 

We can all debate whether a tic like that should even be allowed with a 9.8 grade, but putting that aside, knowing how CGC grades, would you take the chance and submit? If it comes back a 9.8 then I’m validated but if it comes back at a 9.6 then I’ve lost like $800-$1000 in value just like that. 

Opinions?

Edit: added photos. Tic is in last photo 

4F93C34A-F27D-46E6-80FB-C51C0972B247.jpeg

2F37B956-CDCD-4938-B581-240C63A430E0.jpeg

C74C438A-C97F-442E-A781-1D2341D6FDAE.jpeg

E1F54BE8-DF5E-4276-8DA2-D9883EC5EAAE.jpeg

B8FE6F72-88B1-4161-BE99-BF4A9B9CC7BE.jpeg

3E65F939-113A-4647-ABB4-5300F70BEE07.jpeg

Edited by MisterMR
Added photos

I wouldn't risk it personally. 

If you post a picture of the cover (no label), that would be helpful.  I suppose if the tic is the only defect, it still could be a 9.8.

But you have 0 room for error. Meaning a slightly round corner or unseen finger print will knock you down to a 9.6 or lower.  

Doesn't seem worth it. 

I think with the tic, especially against a portion of the cover that is a darker color, which makes it more noticeable, you would be lucky to get a 9.6, and more likely a 9.4.

I am not trying to be negative but I would think any rise in value from potentially going from a cbcs label to a CGC label would be offset by the cost of getting it graded and the potential for a huge loss.

I think it is a nice book that I would leave just like it is.

Just my 2c.

Grading companies allow for flaws and still assign 9.8.  We've all seen it.  

I recall a time when CGC would look at a CBCS book, and let you know about potential grade bump.  Would they alert you now?  Would they alert you to potential grade drop??!!  idk.

Would be nice to know for sure before risking it.