• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your Very First GOLDEN AGE Comic!
3 3

90 posts in this topic

I really don't know what my first exposure to a golden age comic was, but I do remember one of the local stores had a very nice Marvel 1 for around $18k on the convention floor when I was probably 12-14ish?    I'm sure it was a high price at the time.   It was the first big splashy key with a big splashy price that I can recall.    This would be late 80s.

Edited by Bronty

On 4/20/2023 at 8:24 AM, Jayman said:

This is what got to me the most! Maybe it was Dr. Wertham’s store?

Great story and WTTB!

Yes hehe.  And I get it, the guy didn't want kids getting greasy fingers on Action 1, but there's way to convey that message, and that wasn't it.   

Edited by Bronty

My 1st GA I remember purchasing was Classic Illustrated box set from an antique store in Versailles, IN in 1976.  The box set cost $2 and had Issues 13 (Dr J as Mr H), 20 (Cors Bros), 34 (Black Arrow), and 78 (Joan).  I still have all of them in the same condition I purchased them in (VFN/NM). :luhv:  Sadly the box was long since lost :sorry:

On 4/20/2023 at 4:58 PM, sfcityduck said:

I discovered comic book collecting at the beginning of 7th grade in 1978 

Interestingly, I stopped reading comics at the beginning of 7th grade in 1971.

I was reading the latest SGT. FURY in study hall when another kid ridiculed me for reading kids stuff. And this in front of a girl I had a crush on. 

I won't say something good didn't come out of it as it might have been one of the first life lessons I ever had for convincing me to screw peer pressure and conformity. I'm proud to say I've lived as pretty much of a rebel ever since. 

Two Fisted Tales 30, from Comic Showcase on Neal Street, Covent Garden in London, some time in the early 90s. Prior to this it had always been silver age with me.

It wasn't a gateway drug as such as my obsession with PCH began several years later when I picked up the CBM pre-code special (thanks Jon S!) but my interest in ECs kicked off right there - the intense cover image by Jack Davis drew me in. As I recall I paid £15 and it was around VG/FN (Paul Hudson, esteemed owner of the shop gave me a decent discount iirc). Still have it somewhere.

First proper GA that I bought would've been a Cap 17 I got from Ted at Superworld, in the late 90s, at a con. Still have that too.

Edited by goldust40

Pixies, The (1946 ME) 4

This is mine. Still have it. I acquired in a lot that I bought probably close to a decade ago. I kept it because at the time, there was not much value to it (still isn't I don't think) but I thought it was cool to have a book that old.

Eventually I stumbled across LB Cole and his work and that set me into a Golden Age buying zone. I try to purchase 1-5 GA books a year (horror, jungle themed or war themed) that fit my fancy, be it artist related or simply because I like the cover. I always try to buy Cole books but even his Jungle and Western stuff, which in the past was substantially cheaper, is now creeping up (or at least people are asking a lot more than they used to for it). I also eventually want to get an older Superman and Batman cover from the 40's. In due time I suppose.