• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your Very First GOLDEN AGE Comic!
3 3

90 posts in this topic

On 4/20/2023 at 8:59 AM, CitrusZ28 said:

The only copy of Action #1 that I ever saw was when I was in College at the University of Oregon in the early 80's. The owner of the local comic shop Emerald City Comics took me down the street to his safety deposit box and showed me his prized stash which also included copies of Reform School Girls #1 and Batman #47 as I recall. He had purchased his copy in 1979 for $6000.00 which merited a story in the Wall Street Journal. It was a F-VF copy as I remember. I lost touch with him over the years and heard that he sold his business and his copy of Action #1, although I have not confirmed this. My very first GA book that I purchased in 1979 that I still have-

20220617_131358.jpg

Emerald City went through several name changes before it was known under that name and later Darrell Grimes opened a second shop under the name Nostalgia Collectibles.  When I first went there a few years earlier (discussed above) he called his store The Fantasy Shop and operated out of a house between 12th and 13th across from the Hospital. He changed the name because he got to many calls from folks thinking he was some sort of sex shop and moved to the building on 13th with the Smith Family Bookstore.  He bought that Action 1 from Collector's Showcase when he was in his late 20s and last I talked to him he still had it. His Reform School Girl is also very nice, but he had a lot more impressive issues than just those you are mentioning. He got local press and the WSJ coverage when he bought that Action 1. I once bought a mid-60s Avengers on eBay out of NYC and got the unexpected surprise to open it up and see this:

Grimes.thumb.png.36ac7211362185198db09c31accf8bfc.png

On 4/20/2023 at 2:05 PM, sfcityduck said:

Emerald City went through several name changes before it was known under that name and later Darrell Grimes opened a second shop under the name Nostalgia Collectibles.  When I first went there a few years earlier (discussed above) he called his store The Fantasy Shop and operated out of a house between 12th and 13th across from the Hospital. He changed the name because he got to many calls from folks thinking he was some sort of sex shop and moved to the building on 13th with the Smith Family Bookstore.  He bought that Action 1 from Collector's Showcase when he was in his late 20s and last I talked to him he still had it. His Reform School Girl is also very nice, but he had a lot more impressive issues than just those you are mentioning. He got local press and the WSJ coverage when he bought that Action 1. I once bought a mid-60s Avengers on eBay out of NYC and got the unexpected surprise to open it up and see this:

Grimes.thumb.png.36ac7211362185198db09c31accf8bfc.png

That's great, I still have many copies of books (Mostly early FF's) with that stamp and his buddy's stamp Lyle Nance. I remember him telling me that he started collecting comics in the mid 1960's and as word got out, he had people calling him and Lyle to come pick up their kids' old comics, most of the time free of charge! That is how he started his comic business. The last I ever saw of him was at a convention in Portland in the late '80's, how about you?

Edited by CitrusZ28

On 4/20/2023 at 1:27 PM, Dark Knight said:

My first golden age book purchased was at Comiclink in 2006, paid $3000.  Here are the notes from CL -  ComicLink Graded, Right edge trimmed, cover married, Staples and small part of spine reinforced, other slight restoration possible. Vivid, bright colors, piece of tape right edge and staple areas from lower staple to bottom spine, piece out back cover.

Funny story about it was that the book had a pending sale and there was a selection on the page to be added to the waitlist.  I signed up for that and after a few days, Josh emailed me saying the buyer backed out and asked if I was interested in purchasing.  I did in a heartbeat and I had it in my collection for a few years until I later upgraded to an unrestored copy.  I sent the book off to CGC, but they wouldn't grade it due to the cover overhang.  I wonder now if this book is fully restored and what the grade is given by CGC hm

Detective Comics #29 GD-VG Trimmed Int. Front.jpg

I have met Dark Knight in person!  

IMG_2062.jpeg.7517f78f3e3618a8faa03df6828d4170.jpeg

On 4/20/2023 at 2:18 PM, CitrusZ28 said:

That's great, I still have many copies of books (Mostly early FF's) with that stamp and his buddy's stamp Lyle Nance. I remember him telling me that he started collecting comics in the mid 1960's and as word got out, he had people calling him and Lyle to come pick up their kids' old comics, most of the time free of charge! That is how he started his comic business. The last I ever saw of him was at a convention in Portland in the late '80's, how about you?

We had lunch during the pandemic.  I get to Eugene every once in a while to visit my family but have been too busy to say hi!  Here's a present to help preserve your memories:

image.thumb.png.0a80aeef23378acc3ac1f1683eb3ca7a.png

image.png.8ca0950387684ee5f98bd32f734fc5e0.png

Edited by sfcityduck

On 4/20/2023 at 2:46 PM, sfcityduck said:

We had lunch during the pandemic.  I get to Eugene every once in a while to visit my family but have been too busy to say hi!  Here's a present to help preserve your memories:

image.thumb.png.0a80aeef23378acc3ac1f1683eb3ca7a.png

image.png.8ca0950387684ee5f98bd32f734fc5e0.png

Very cool. I'm definetly getting old, I forgot about his copy Of Showcase #4! Does he still own/operate Nostalgia Collectables?

On 4/20/2023 at 2:55 PM, CitrusZ28 said:

Very cool. I'm definetly getting old, I forgot about his copy Of Showcase #4! Does he still own/operate Nostalgia Collectables?

He sold all or part of it to a guy who worked for him.  I don't know if he retained an ownership interest.  But he's retired.

Edited by sfcityduck

On 4/20/2023 at 2:58 PM, sfcityduck said:

He sold all or part of it to a guy who worked for him.  I don't know if he retained an ownership interest.  But he's retired.

Good for him. I had heard that the Smith Family Bookstore had closed down, and Emerald City Comics along with it.

On 4/20/2023 at 1:27 PM, Dark Knight said:

My first golden age book purchased was at Comiclink in 2006, paid $3000.  Here are the notes from CL -  ComicLink Graded, Right edge trimmed, cover married, Staples and small part of spine reinforced, other slight restoration possible. Vivid, bright colors, piece of tape right edge and staple areas from lower staple to bottom spine, piece out back cover.

Funny story about it was that the book had a pending sale and there was a selection on the page to be added to the waitlist.  I signed up for that and after a few days, Josh emailed me saying the buyer backed out and asked if I was interested in purchasing.  I did in a heartbeat and I had it in my collection for a few years until I later upgraded to an unrestored copy.  I sent the book off to CGC, but they wouldn't grade it due to the cover overhang.  I wonder now if this book is fully restored and what the grade is given by CGC hm

Detective Comics #29 GD-VG Trimmed Int. Front.jpg

I remember that one!

My first golden age book(s) was probably an Action 35 or Superman 15 around 1994. I believe the Superman 15 was first. It was heavily chipped and brittle. The Action 35 was a nice VG. I remember choosing the Action 35 over a Bat 3 (missing CF and one other wrap). They were both priced at $175 each at the time. 

My first Timely was a Human Torch 4, which I got from Mike Carbonaro at Wondercon 1995. I traded him about  a dozen Marvels in low grade  (including a JIM 83, Avengers 1, FF5) for the Torch 4. The Torch 4 was about a FN. I think Carbo had a sticker price of $1200 or so on it. 

http://www.mikesamazingworld.com/mikes/features/comic.php?comicid=52998

Edited by Primetime

Screenshot_20230420-165015_Chrome.thumb.jpg.ff13e92f2aad6a3e2709f0edf3277899.jpg

Sadly this.  I got it as a kid in the early 90s from a pawn shop's 25cent bin.  Don't think I could even finish reading it, and had so little love for the book I didn't even bag it until recently.  They look like they go for around $10 now, so a better return than all those issues of darkhawk I bought 😆   photo is from the internet, not worth the effort trying to find it.

Edited by waaaghboss

On 4/20/2023 at 3:21 PM, L'Angelo Misterioso said:

Several years ago my dad, somewhat of a figure in the comic book world, passed away.

Very sorry to hear, but this also piqued my curiosity. Care to expand on this?

On 4/20/2023 at 5:37 PM, Robot Man said:

I posted the story of the first ECs I got from my uncle.

This story is about the first real 1940's GA Superhero books I ever got. I was around 14 years old.

I got a phone call from a friend who's dad owned a pawn shop. He knew I liked old comics so he thought I might be interested. So off I went on my bike.

When I got there, his dad showed me a small pile of maybe 30-35 very old comics. I had never seen comics that old. Was a long time ago but I distinctly remember several. Just drop dead beautiful copies of Batman #17, All Flash #14 and Submariner #6. And a lot of other titles I'd never heard of or don't remember now. I remember him getting excited about one in particular. Horse Feathers #1. He figured since it was a #1 it was the best book of the bunch. I asked him what he wanted and he said $30. That was some decent money for a kid like me. But these were like from another world. I told him to keep them and I would go home and get the money. It was near Christmas and I had about $35. saved up for Christmas presents. But, I HAD to have them so I went back over and paid him for the bag full.

Now, what was I going to do for Christmas present money? I decided to go to the Azuza swap meet with another friend who's dad had a space there. So, I spread them out on the ground and waited. An older guy came up and bought an ALL American and 3 others for $40! I quickly scooped up the rest and took them home.

Sadly, I no longer have any of them. I sold or traded them off for nice ECs. Last one I parted with was the Subby #6. It was the nicest one of the bunch. And, I don't know what became of Horse Feathers #1. Nobody ever wanted it...

I hate to use strong language but.... Horse Feathers

On 4/20/2023 at 4:54 PM, waaaghboss said:

Screenshot_20230420-165015_Chrome.thumb.jpg.ff13e92f2aad6a3e2709f0edf3277899.jpg

Sadly this.  I got it as a kid in the early 90s from a pawn shop's 25cent bin.  Don't think I could even finish reading it, and had so little love for the book I didn't even bag it until recently.  They look like they go for around $10 now, so a better return than all those issues of darkhawk I bought 😆   photo is from the internet, not worth the effort trying to find it.

I'm almost embarrassed to post mine now...:facepalm:  At least it's got the original mailing envelope...:roflmao:

comfreedomtrain.jpg

On 4/20/2023 at 6:54 PM, waaaghboss said:

I'm not joking when I say this, but reading what it's about, that's a pretty cool comic regardless of value.  At least to me. lol.  I may end up getting myself a copy! :D

And why oh why must Darkhawk be the butt of every comic book investment joke? :(

Edited by Telegan

On 4/20/2023 at 5:23 AM, Bronty said:

I really don't know what my first exposure to a golden age comic was, but I do remember one of the local stores had a very nice Marvel 1 for around $18k on the convention floor when I was probably 12-14ish?    I'm sure it was a high price at the time.   It was the first big splashy key with a big splashy price that I can recall.    This would be late 80s.

Shoulda mowed as many damn lawns as it would take to buy that! 😂