• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

$20,000 AF15 Comic Book STOLEN at MegaCon 2023!
7 7

184 posts in this topic

Sometimes it can be hard to look around and be in a constant state of “how can someone rip me off?”. I am perpetually in this frame of mind, but I recognize and sympathize a bit with people who aren’t.

The fading on the book make it pretty difficult to keep hidden forever - sadly, it will probably get sold and resold a time or two before it turns up again, with the end buyer likely getting burnt on it.

On 4/22/2023 at 11:25 AM, MR. Pontoon said:

How bad would you feel if it happened to Dupcak?

First you would probably have to believe this actually happened to him and it wasn't some scam.

:whistle:20210606_133512.jpg.ed8990821269e178c3d447278adba7a9.jpg

Also it is more likely that this book will end up in possession of someone like him who will crack and attempt bleaching, restoration , trimming, etc to hide / make the book appear different. 

Although I truly hope not and that the person(s) responsible are caught. 

Sounds like two people working together.   First person diverted or distracted the dealer while the second person snatched it.  If the thief is alone, I am sure the client would warn him by seeing the thief reaching the book under the table.

I think the dealer was alone at his booth which is VERY vulnerable to the thieves.   HOW can he take a leak without someone watching his booth?   His booth was a POOR organization.  All boxes were on the floor is TERRIBLE!  He was so sloppy and slob. That is his consequence.

On 4/22/2023 at 11:57 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

I’m still trying to understand why an AF 15 was on the bottom of a rack.....

I completely agree.

The only semi-reasoning I can try to rationalize is that it almost eye level with him when he is sitting there so a quick cursory glance and he should be able to see it. 

On 4/22/2023 at 9:57 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

I’m still trying to understand why an AF 15 was on the bottom of a rack.....

Really really sucks that this guy had a big theft like that - really sucks. 

In hindsight, I would HOPE he'd understand that such a big book like that on the bottom shelf does really nothing other than make it easy to lose track of.

People can't see it walking past the booth, it's not at customer eye-level which a book like that should be (like next to that Hulk 1). MUCH more so than some of the other books he has middle-center of his wall instead. Personally, I would stop at that booth just to admire the AF15 if it were customer eye-level center-wall... and then maybe stay and peruse the other books more. That's what wall-books are for - to be seen by passing customers, not at the bottom row. 

And it's pretty clear that putting the AF15 down that low, off to the side near a bunch of floor-boxes under the table with a folding table leaned up against the back - it all makes for a PERFECT "hiding spot" for a potential thief to pretend to be looking through books on the floor, using the leaning folding table as cover to just wait for the split second he turns his attention to the other side of the booth, then just a 2-second deep reach and the thief has the book. 

And... is that another AF15 raw right next to where the first one was stolen??? (or is it a reprint?) Dude, you wanna close that barn door before your next horse runs out the door?

Really hope this book gets tracked down fast and the thief gets caught. So sad, yet so avoidable!!!

Edited by jcjames

That is greg white. And he has been a comic dealer for half a century, using that same booth configuration and old school wood racks. He has done literally hundreds, maybe thousands, of shows, dealing in every big silver age key that there is.

He recently started dealing in graded books, but for most part just deals in raws. Note, the rack configuration he uses, he has 1 shelf of graded books, all the rest are raw, and that is the only 1 shelf on the entire rack that could fit a graded book height wise. 

I don't go to cons.....so maybe somebody else can answer this.

Do any of the dealers set up cameras to cover their booth?  

You can get digital cameras these days relatively cheaply........they record in HD.......run off batteries......and you can put high capacity memory cards in them.  

With the high value inventory many of these dealers have, it seems like a few well placed cameras would go a long way to deter this king of crime, or at least help identify the theif afterwards.

Lol. He's an experienced dealer who has sold high-end comics at hundreds of shows for years now. He put a copy of AF #15 at the *bottom* of his booth and operated without an assistant. I read in an old post here that he has an extensive history of not disclosing restoration on expensive books. I don't feel bad for him ngl