• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

$20,000 AF15 Comic Book STOLEN at MegaCon 2023!
7 7

184 posts in this topic

On 4/25/2023 at 11:10 AM, MrBedrock said:

When I pointed them out to this kind old comic dealer he graciously threatened to jump his barefooted butt over the table and throw a punch at me.

Was he standing up on a stool when he threatened you as he would probably need to in order to smack you in your kisser, unless he was targeting somewhere lower like your precious jewels?  lol

On 4/26/2023 at 10:36 AM, Robot Man said:

Sorry, but this is on you. It has happened to all of us. I have found suprises (both good and bad) with even big, well respected dealers. When you handle large amounts of collections, things slip through the cracks now and then. To me, it’s all about they handle it.

Now dealers that deliberately try to cheat or mislead buyers is another story. Been going on since the dawn of collecting. They usually get weeded out one way or another.

Always check everything you buy carefully. Especially from dealers you don’t know. Even cheap books if you are not willing to take a chance.

I have learned over the years who I am willing to deal with. I avoid those who do not meet my standards and spend my money with those who do.

I will repeat, even though this guy, apparently, had a checkered past, he doesn’t deserve to be a victim of direct theft. 

Thanks for the heavy handed advice. 

As a buyer, it's not my responsibility to validate the dealer isn't intentionally or unintentionally ripping me off. Is it a good idea to check because they might be? Sure it can help to catch the situation before it's too late. But it's not "on me" to check every comic I buy. It's on the dealer to know what they are selling and disclose it. If we politely disagree that's fine,  but you can't convince me otherwise. 

On 4/27/2023 at 10:33 AM, jcjames said:

Being a responsible seller is to reasonably disclose all relevant info about an item you are selling (collectibles, puppies, cars, houses, whatever). 

Being a responsible buyer is to reasonably inspect what you're buying (collectibles, puppies, cars, houses, whatever). 

YMMV. 2c 

I'd also add that in this day and age, being a responsible buyer, Imo, also means outing those sellers in a public forum if they do try and put something by you. I don't mean an honest mistake, shipping gone astray, things that can't be helped, things that just happen, but wilful attempts to scam, so that you may protect your collecting brethren. We're connected like never before. That should be standard procedure to utilise. 

I'm sure sellers have their own groups to deal with bad buyers for the same reason. If not, they should. 

Edited by Cat

On 4/26/2023 at 8:45 PM, Cat said:

I'd also add that in this day and age, being a responsible buyer, Imo, also means outing those sellers in a public forum if they do try and put something by you. I don't mean an honest mistake, shipping gone astray, things that can't be helped, things that just happen, but wilful attempts to scam, so that you may protect your collecting brethren. We're connected like never before. That should be standard procedure to utilise. 

I'm sure sellers have their own groups to deal with bad buyers for the same reason. If not, they should. 

We do.

On 4/27/2023 at 6:41 PM, Lou Sir said:

Yes it absolutely is 👍 

Noooooo. I really do agree that it's smart for buyers to check their books before buying.  To me though there is a line between what is a good idea and where the responsibility lies. The dealer is responsible for what they sell and should take ownership for any undisclosed issues. The buyer shouldn't have to check the books, but because we live in a world where not doing do can result in being ripped off (even unintentionally) it is a good practice.

When it comes down to money, most people’s principles can go out the door quickly.

Case in point…

There is an older guy around here who has been caught stealing many times. From cheap books to some serious GA. He is a kleptomaniac. Everyone knows it. But he is real out of touch on pricing. He prices everything at Overstreet. He doesn’t use the internet nor does he travel out of the area just hitting shows and flea markets locally. I have known him for years and have bought a lot of “undervalued” books from him until he got caught twice. I cut my ties from him and quit buying from him. I also made it clear my disgust to his customers and that I would no longer deal with them if they continued to deal with this guy. A couple people agreed and cut him off as well.

But there are still people buying from him anyway knowing full well they are buying stolen books. This even includes a couple larger well known dealers.

There are apparently people who would buy from Satan if the price is right…

On 4/29/2023 at 9:29 AM, Robot Man said:

I'm guessing that all depends on if you're planning on flipping it :devil:

I think sometimes people don't know. Or if they hear something, they take it with a grain of salt. Sometimes people don't register problems until it happens to them firsthand. I mean, I stood up for this guy earlier in the thread, and I probably needed to STFU lol I'd never even heard of this guy, and will probably never cross paths with him, so my brain may not even remember this 5 years from now.

Edited by Dr. Balls

On 4/29/2023 at 10:47 AM, MrBedrock said:
On 4/29/2023 at 10:29 AM, Robot Man said:

Satan's books always have awful page quality

uhoh.gif.7da9bf4bcfac24abdadfa8f8417c91e7.gif

On 4/29/2023 at 9:29 AM, Robot Man said:

When it comes down to money, most people’s principles can go out the door quickly.

I'd like to think that changes with age and experience. I can recall not being too observant in my younger years about dealing with certain people, but it changed as the years went on where principals and integrity played a more important role in life.