• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thick Comic Backing Boards

20 posts in this topic

Anyone know where I can find some extra thick comic backing boards?  I  was at a show the other day and they had some super stiff backing boards on comics but I don't know where to find them, most boards are 24 pts,  need something thicker and stiffer than that.  

On 4/25/2023 at 6:10 PM, Kevin76 said:

Anyone know where I can find some extra thick comic backing boards?  I  was at a show the other day and they had some super stiff backing boards on comics but I don't know where to find them, most boards are 24 pts,  need something thicker and stiffer than that.  

Full backs are advertised as 35 pt.

https://egerber.com/catalog_fullbacks.htm

https://officialcomicproline.com/

Comic Pro Line has 56pt boards available. I would've also recommended Full Backs, but I can't get over them only being white on one side (since covid). Comic Pro Line also has Clear backing boards. I purchased some for some golden age stock and I'm really impressed with them. They also sell mylar (mylite) bags. 

On 4/26/2023 at 6:20 AM, Monster's Lair Comics said:

Comic Pro Line has 56pt boards available. I would've also recommended Full Backs, but I can't get over them only being white on one side (since covid). Comic Pro Line also has Clear backing boards. I purchased some for some golden age stock and I'm really impressed with them. They also sell mylar (mylite) bags. 

i have been using the 56pt boards from ComicProLine and I highly recommend them. They are very solid even more so than putting 2 28pt boards together. I am using them on more valuable books even for comic show inventory. Everything more than $20 value is getting these super thickness boards, and they create a nice impression for the potential buyers.

As mentioned above they also sell clear plastic back boards which are 60pt thickness.

Edited by Artboy99

On 4/26/2023 at 10:25 AM, MattTheDuck said:

What are these made from?  Plastic?

It says they're PET plastic.  I bought a pack of five to test them out and they're pretty cool.  They come with a plastic film on each side to protect them from scratches until you're ready to use them, which is nice.  They're relatively expensive, but great if you have a handful of expensive books you want to show off.

On 4/26/2023 at 2:03 PM, Gonzimodo said:

Here my Marvel Spotlight 5 in an E. Gerber Mylite2 with a Comic Pro Line 60 pt. clear backing board.  At first glance, it looks as though there's no board at all.

GR1.jpg

GR2.jpg

GR3.jpg

Thanks for posting that. That looks extremely nice I think.

I like using the clear boards on expensive or fragile books that you don't want to take out of the bag and board repeatedly. It'll pass the tire kicker test for most guys, but when someone is serious, you can take it out for someone.  Saves alot of headaches at a busy show with older books. 

Edited by Monster's Lair Comics

On 4/26/2023 at 2:03 PM, Gonzimodo said:

Here my Marvel Spotlight 5 in an E. Gerber Mylite2 with a Comic Pro Line 60 pt. clear backing board.  At first glance, it looks as though there's no board at all.

GR1.jpg

Thanks for the post.  Are your mylites 725m2 ?  If so, for these  are you using the 7 x 10 1/2 (silver regular) or 7 1/8 x 10 1/2 (silver) comicpro boards?  Was just about to get some of the 7s, but they seem to be sold out.  Wondering if the 7 1/8s would be too tight in my 725m2 mylites (7 1/4).  

Edited by Poekaymon

On 4/26/2023 at 3:28 PM, Poekaymon said:

Thanks for the post.  Are your mylites 725m2 ?  If so, for these  are you using the 7 x 10 1/2 (silver regular) or 7 1/8 x 10 1/2 (silver) comicpro boards?  Was just about to get some of the 7s, but they seem to be sold out.  Wondering if the 7 1/8s would be too tight in my 725m2 mylites (7 1/4).  

I use 7 1/4" bags and 7" boards for my collection.  In the pictures I posted, that's a 7" clear board in a 725M2, which still seems to work pretty well, even with the thickness of the board.

I've tried 7 1/8" boards in 7 1/4" bags and they seemed too snug for my liking.

On 4/26/2023 at 4:04 PM, Gonzimodo said:

I use 7 1/4" bags and 7" boards for my collection.  In the pictures I posted, that's a 7" clear board in a 725M2, which still seems to work pretty well, even with the thickness of the board.

I've tried 7 1/8" boards in 7 1/4" bags and they seemed too snug for my liking.

That's what I was afraid of.  Thanks!

On 4/26/2023 at 4:05 PM, Poekaymon said:

That's what I was afraid of.  Thanks!

I've never tried the regular backing boards from Comic Pro Line.  I'm currently in the process of switching everything to Gerber Half-Backs for the bulk of my collection.  They're really not as sturdy as I'd prefer, but I don't have the money or storage space to use Full-Backs for my whole collection, and it's still much better than using acid time bombs that will need to be changed again in a few years.

On 4/26/2023 at 5:20 AM, Monster's Lair Comics said:

Thanks for posting this! 

I am looking at their GA 56pt 7.5" paired with their GA 7 5/8" Mylar 2mil bags for SA books. Wondering if that would be a proper fit? 

Not sure I want to go with PET clear backing boards just yet. 

Thanks again! (thumbsu

Edited by jcjames

I'll probably get the 56pt from Comic Pro, I need them for CGC submissions cause the CS reps like to the pull the book from the bottom and flip them over while they verify, super stiff boards should stop the spine ticks from appearing when slabbed.  I've been stacking about 3 boards together and am running out  

On 4/26/2023 at 7:32 AM, Artboy99 said:

i have been using the 56pt boards from ComicProLine and I highly recommend them. They are very solid even more so than putting 2 28pt boards together. I am using them on more valuable books even for comic show inventory. Everything more than $20 value is getting these super thickness boards, and they create a nice impression for the potential buyers.

As mentioned above they also sell clear plastic back boards which are 60pt thickness.

Thanks - I'm trying them out, and the pricing is less expensive than E Gerber, plus free shipping over $100.