• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2023 CGC Grading Contest Season 2 Spring Edition (#6) Round 2 Results
3 3

26 posts in this topic

• Administrator

Unfortunately, I wasn't supplied with a format that I could copy like I did for round 1 which made the scores large and clear.  However, I believe this score chart is pretty clear with a couple of clicks.  

round 2 scores.jpg

On 4/29/2023 at 9:25 PM, JohnH19 said:

3 of my 4 points on Jungle.:frustrated:

And 2 of my 5. Word on the street is it had a bottom spine split.... I know a few eagle eyes here spotted it :shiftyeyes: but I sure didn't. Smokin' book for a 5.5!

On 4/29/2023 at 9:01 PM, zzutak said:

(worship)  (worship)  (worship)

Top-10.png.c905b4049b1b4d4b76a1b8b0304acc74.png

I'm going to submit my Round 3 scores Tuesday night at 7:59 pm.

Because I'm not ready for this magic moment to end.  :whee:

• Administrator
On 4/29/2023 at 9:35 PM, Point Five said:

I'm going to submit my Round 3 scores Tuesday night at 7:59 pm.

Because I'm not ready for this magic moment to end.  :whee:

I think my computer clock is a minute fast.

On 4/29/2023 at 8:30 PM, Point Five said:

And 2 of my 5. Word on the street is it had a bottom spine split.... I know a few eagle eyes here spotted it :shiftyeyes: but I sure didn't. Smokin' book for a 5.5!

I gave it a ridiculous 4.0 because of the split, the dust shadow and the stain on the back. I still don’t see it as a 5.5 but 4.0 was a bad call.

On 4/29/2023 at 9:42 PM, CGC Mike said:

I think my computer clock is a minute fast.

lol

I shouldn't even joke about literal-last-minute entries. I know *exactly* how annoying that is. 

I thought they were tightening it up after the first round surprised me with no GA bumps and others fairly tight etc, so I tightened up way too far and over corrected this round with the exception of the JIM. :ohnoez::tonofbricks:

Can you fill us in on what was happening on the back of Super Comics #44?  Lots of color loss at the top, along the right, and across the bottom.  Even a couple spots looked like divots.  I was baffled enough that I searched and found an image of the back cover of another SC44 and it didn't have all that business going on, so I figured I wasn't seeing things and that there was widespread real wear on the contest copy.  :sorry:

On 4/30/2023 at 11:54 AM, Warlord said:

Can you fill us in on what was happening on the back of Super Comics #44?

The Grader Notes say "light, multiple scuffs."  I thought the scuffing was extensive enough to warrant a more severe deduction (so my own grade assessment was lower than CGC's).  Here's a comparison of back covers for Contest Book 7 (upper image) and a previously graded CGC 9.0 (lower image).  Live and learn, right?  (shrug)

07b.thumb.jpg.cd5d243dea16ec9943639453a9f6fb68.jpg

07d.thumb.jpg.eb36b4ab0ac18f92746d55467c55b0fc.jpg

On 4/30/2023 at 5:16 PM, zzutak said:

a previously graded CGC 9.0

Is this the one that is/was listed on ebay? I found one trying to see examples of what this book looked like in the wild for possible manufacturing defects, etc. IMO, that one looks way nicer. Of course, different days, different graders, all grades are subject to some wiggle room.

It may or may not be (I did not look there).  Even though I graded Book 7 more harshly than CGC did, I don't think a 9.0 is unreasonable.  It does have some color-breaking stress at the bottom-right corner of the front cover (in addition to the aforementioned back cover scuffing), but it's a very nice looking book.  My mistake was forgetting that "the tie goes to the runner" when that runner is 80 years old.  lol

07.jpg.274ca8baf02646d25f9d2dfecfa50375.jpg