• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Conserved comic

16 posts in this topic

Anyone have experience with removal of A1 conserved treatments to a book?  

Is it possible or is the process so intricate that it's basically removing and leaving a hole where the seals were as they are bonded to the paper? 

Thanks in advance for anyone that has experience with removing the "conserved" designation from a book.  

On 5/11/2023 at 6:17 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Are you asking about self-removal?

No.  I would send it to a company such as CCS for removal.  I'm just not sure if it will leave a hole where they are removed or if its something that can be removed easily by a professional.

On 5/11/2023 at 9:09 AM, Cman429 said:

And was this slabbed before CGC went to color coded labels? I’ve never seen a blue label with conservation notes before. If I had that I’d be ecstatic I dodged the purple label of death.

It's a blue/gray label. Has been for awhile.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but arguably the tear seals were sensible. Their removal may not be. Besides it says conservation includes....it doesn't say what else may need undoing. You may not like the results and the only consolation will be a different colour label. It's your book but I wouldn't go there. 

From the info provided, it seems the seals are done to hold the staples in place (keep the book together).  Removal of the seals probably wouldn't hurt the grade so much, but all those loose pages might shift around in a holder without staple binding.  (shrug)

On 5/11/2023 at 9:09 AM, Cman429 said:

“Tear seals?” Is that a fancy CGC word for….tape?

And was this slabbed before CGC went to color coded labels? I’ve never seen a blue label with conservation notes before. If I had that I’d be ecstatic I dodged the purple label of death.

Tear seals are usually sealed with glue, but the notes do say they're sealed with a "high quality archival material."

To be honest, this appears to be an attractive low grade copy. Sometimes it's best to be happy with what you have...  

Thank you to everyone that took the time to respond and I agree that leaving the book "as is" will probably be the best action here.  

I just can't help thinking that removing the seals that are only in place to prevent further tearing would hurt to remove as it will be encapsulated with little chance of the tears getting worse with or without tear seals.  The "cover reinforced" is a term I'm not as familiar with but it mentions nothing about the spine on the graders notes or on the slab label so I feel the book is structurally sound but who knows I suppose 🤷‍♂️.

On 5/11/2023 at 7:18 PM, comicginger1789 said:

I agree with the above. It’s lovely as is and while I don’t generally like resto or conserved books that would be one I’d be fine owning. 

This was also my opinion when I found the book.  Not something I generally buy or go for but in this case it just seemed different or not as distracting as most and at the same price as a Purple label I'm very happy I ended up getting it.

I can't help but wonder if this book was "conserved" before encapsulating was so common as it is today.  It would make more since to do this to a book that is left "raw" as it would be opened and looked at and since it's not done to increase its visual appeal but to stabilize and reinforce for looking at the book.  

Again, not something I've had experience with in the past but thank you again for all the feedback. 

On 5/11/2023 at 7:30 PM, The Lions Den said:

Tear seals are usually sealed with glue, but the notes do say they're sealed with a "high quality archival material."

To be honest, this appears to be an attractive low grade copy. Sometimes it's best to be happy with what you have...  

If it was my book I'd just leave it. Everybody has their own preferences, but professional tear seals have got to be among the least troublesome of any type of conservation/restoration for me.

On 5/11/2023 at 7:30 PM, The Lions Den said:

Just to clarify, saying they are held on by glue might give the wrong impression of what adhesive was used (and glue makes its sound like an amateur job that isn't ideal). In this case it was most certainly either wheat starch paste, Klucel G, or methyl cellulose; all of which can be easily removed if so desired.

I would wager this book would drop to 2.0 at minimum with the removal (as is the typical grade for a detached cover)

Edited by Sauce Dog