• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's the longest series run you collected?
5 5

109 posts in this topic

Threads like this can be humbling.  Every time I start to think I have a pretty decent collection, you big fish come along and show us how it's done. (worship)

I started collecting in the mid-80s and have only been able to go back to the mid-70s on some of my runs.  With prices as they are now, I gave up on ever trying to go back any farther and am just filling those gaps with omnibuses.

I have some good, long runs, but I'm not sure which is the longest unbroken run I have.  Probably Daredevil from about issue 100 to present.  I can't think of any other title that doesn't still have gaps here and there where I lost interest and never went back to fill in the holes.

All Ghost Rider runs up to about 2011/2012, including limited series'.  I just wanted to see flamehead get to issue #100 in a series, but I gave up. 🤣🤣

Edited by Galen130

On 5/16/2023 at 3:05 PM, cbalroman said:

Have a complete full run of X-Men(Uncanny X-men) 1 to present day - all the different volumes etc. (what ever legacy number that would be)

ASM - currently working on a full run. Still need to get 1-17, 19, 22, 31... but other then that have up to present day with all the different volumes

Batman - 144 to present day.  Starting to work down towards issue 100. 

Detective Comics - 400 to present

I was going to work on a full run of Uncanny X-Men, because I have 94 to current, with quite a few of the earlier issues in low grades.  (I'm missing the Victor Gischler vampire series, which kind of, sort of doesn't count, anyway, but other than that, I think I have a complete run.)  Then I sold my coverless, hole-punched #1, and there's no way I'll ever spend the money to get another /better one.  I bought the first two omnibuses so I can at least read the whole series, and now I'll probably sell off my pre-94 issues.  (Probably.  Sometimes it's hard to let go...)

Edited by Gonzimodo
Clarifying

At one time I decided I wanted to own every Batman comic from the Post-Crisis era to what was current. Eventually that became an unbroken run of 400-713, plus all of the corresponding spin-offs (LotDK, SotB, Nightwing, Robin, etc) and every one-shot and miniseries, and included the complete New 52 run (plus all variants), into Rebirth. And then one day I just decided that I was done, and I sold them all. I was tired of buying the new books that I wasn't really interested anymore, and I was tired of the space that the runs took up versus hardcovers and trades that I could display on a shelf. So it's all gone now, every bit of it, and honestly I don't miss it. The only regret is that there is still a large chunk not collected in HC as of yet, but I'm hopeful that we'll get there. The post-Crisis series of Caped Crusader and Dark Knight Detective trade paperbacks were very popular, selling out and going crazy in value, so I'm hopefully we'll eventually get those in omni.

The only other long runs I had were X-men, from GSX 1 until 282, which is when I stopped reading (the first time.)

I don't own many "regular" comics anymore, but the few that I have left include long runs of LoSH (complete set of the Baxter series through Five Years Later) and Justice League International, which I keep because I would probably have to pay someone to take them.

On 5/16/2023 at 3:40 PM, F For Fake said:

At one time I decided I wanted to own every Batman comic from the Post-Crisis era to what was current. Eventually that became an unbroken run of 400-713, plus all of the corresponding spin-offs (LotDK, SotB, Nightwing, Robin, etc) and every one-shot and miniseries, and included the complete New 52 run (plus all variants), into Rebirth. And then one day I just decided that I was done, and I sold them all. I was tired of buying the new books that I wasn't really interested anymore, and I was tired of the space that the runs took up versus hardcovers and trades that I could display on a shelf. So it's all gone now, every bit of it, and honestly I don't miss it. The only regret is that there is still a large chunk not collected in HC as of yet, but I'm hopeful that we'll get there. The post-Crisis series of Caped Crusader and Dark Knight Detective trade paperbacks were very popular, selling out and going crazy in value, so I'm hopefully we'll eventually get those in omni.

The only other long runs I had were X-men, from GSX 1 until 282, which is when I stopped reading (the first time.)

I don't own many "regular" comics anymore, but the few that I have left include long runs of LoSH (complete set of the Baxter series through Five Years Later) and Justice League International, which I keep because I would probably have to pay someone to take them.

I had a complete post-Crisis Superman run like that, with every series, miniseries, one-shot, and everything in between that was published from 1986 to about 2000, and I sold it all for pennies on the dollar in the early 2000s.  I sometimes wish I would have kept some of it, but I know I would probably never go back and read it, anyway.  I just need to keep telling myself that and clear out some of the thousands of comics that are now taking over my basement...

On 5/16/2023 at 3:46 PM, Gonzimodo said:

I had a complete post-Crisis Superman run like that, with every series, miniseries, one-shot, and everything in between that was published from 1986 to about 2000, and I sold it all for pennies on the dollar in the early 2000s.  I sometimes wish I would have kept some of it, but I know I would probably never go back and read it, anyway.  I just need to keep telling myself that and clear out some of the thousands of comics that are now taking over my basement...

Yeah, that's really a big part of why I finally let it go, the realization that the day was likely never going to come that I would sit down and re-read 30 years of Batman stories. And even if I did, most of them were in a nice collected format. So, the need to maintain the library removed, coupled with the amount of space it took up, it was surprisingly easy to let it go. The last hold outs were my complete run of Kelley Jones issues, including newsstands, and I finally let those go a few months ago, as we have most of that run collected in HC. Much rather have them on a shelf where I can pull them out and look anytime, as opposed to a box.