• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Day After. The Brutal Betrayal of the fast flip.
3 3

129 posts in this topic

On 5/17/2023 at 1:32 PM, grapeape said:

You were hounded. "It's my grail," they assured you. You are on the fence, but finally relent. You never wished to sell it. They had to have it. You take pity and sell, and reasonably priced in light of the special circumstances. Shortly thereafter, you see the same prized possession listed for multiples of what you let it go for. Scream. Cry. Tell us. How does it feel to get stabbed in the back? Do: Let this be a catharsis rather than a place of revenge. How did it feel? You see it at auction or on a dealer's web page.

image.gif.092bc692c9ffe6d2a9204e6d58817afe.gif

What's the "grail" you sold?

On 5/18/2023 at 8:06 AM, Bronty said:

The museum angle - man as soon as I hear that my ask goes up not down lol for insulting my intelligence.

The museum is always someone's basement or the trunk of their car.    

I have heard that one multiple times lol

On 5/18/2023 at 7:57 AM, tth2 said:

I've NEVER cared about someone's story behind wanting a piece. 

There are lots of things in life that I wanted but never got, so why should it be any different for them?

Same.  If someone wants something and I want to sell, then I name a price I'm happy with and at that point if they take it then it's theirs to do with as they please.  If they don't want to pay my asking, then they can just move right on.  

On 5/18/2023 at 10:32 AM, batman_fan said:

I have heard that one multiple times lol

Its pretty bad!    Generally speaking, the minute someone drops that line, IMO, its time to run.

On 5/18/2023 at 10:06 AM, Bronty said:

The museum angle - man as soon as I hear that my ask goes up not down lol for insulting my intelligence.

Who is this working on?

Why would someone ever sell for less to a museum?

I'll provide the flip side of these stories.

I made offers of increasing amounts each year for several years on a splash page. Not for a museum or my kids' nursery, but at the time, I was virtually cornering the market on this one particular artist and this splash was a big get for me once the seller finally agreed to another jump in my offer. Two years later, after realizing I had amassed something like a hundred interior pages by the artist, I took stock of my collection and realized that my tastes had evolved and that "more" didn't necessarily mean "better". I trimmed that pile down dramatically to just a couple key pages and sequences, but in that selling process, the splash was sold at auction. I paid over FMV at the time that I bought it (a record for a splash...), and I never built in a sob story, but there is no denying that I extracted a key piece from a collection and within a matter of years it was placed in a public auction (where I took all the risk on it underperforming).

Should I feel like I did the seller a disservice? Objectively, there is a purchase and there is a sale, but its not a flip per se... Is it a better fact pattern that it went to auction and they had the right to buy it back at FMV (and possibly lower than what they sold it for)?

Bob

On 5/17/2023 at 9:56 PM, batman_fan said:

What they say "that is my one true grail, I doubt I can pay you FMV for it but if you could see any way to help me acquire it I would be forever in your debt."

What they really mean "I have a sucker lined up to buy it but I would like to make more off it."

Anyone that falls for this one deserves to see that piece up for sale later on.  lol

Edited by pemart1966

On 5/18/2023 at 10:06 AM, Bronty said:

...or a selling platform...

On 5/18/2023 at 2:47 PM, Sideshow Bob said:

I made offers of increasing amounts each year for several years on a splash page. Not for a museum or my kids' nursery, but at the time, I was virtually cornering the market on this one particular artist and this splash was a big get for me once the seller finally agreed to another jump in my offer. Two years later, after realizing I had amassed something like a hundred interior pages by the artist, I took stock of my collection and realized that my tastes had evolved and that "more" didn't necessarily mean "better". I trimmed that pile down dramatically to just a couple key pages and sequences, but in that selling process, the splash was sold at auction. I paid over FMV at the time that I bought it (a record for a splash...), and I never built in a sob story, but there is no denying that I extracted a key piece from a collection and within a matter of years it was placed in a public auction (where I took all the risk on it underperforming).

Should I feel like I did the seller a disservice? Objectively, there is a purchase and there is a sale, but its not a flip per se... Is it a better fact pattern that it went to auction and they had the right to buy it back at FMV (and possibly lower than what they sold it for)?

Bob

not at all.   perfectly reasonable on your part because you didn't misrepresent anything and you paid up to obtain your piece.   There was also significant passage of time (couple years).

On 5/18/2023 at 12:47 PM, Sideshow Bob said:

Bob

I share Bronty’s view.  Only one that should be upset about the transaction should be the seller and if they are upset it should be with themselves.

On 5/18/2023 at 7:04 AM, Jordysnordy said:

What's the "grail" you sold?

Early 2000's I added my first John Byrne page to my collection. A year later, I started getting emails from a guy who pleaded with me to sell it to him. He said it was his favorite page, from his favorite story. I really didn't want to, but I finally did sell it. Now I didn't give it away, it was FMV I'd guess for that time. Anyways, I met the person in the city next to mine. They were eating at a restaraunt, I brought the page with me and exchanged it for cash. We chatted and I mentioned how hard it was to let it go.

Not long after, I saw the page pop up on a personal web page, not the same guy I sold it to. There was a place to leave comments, and my buyer, same guy who pleaded to get the grail from me, wrote, " I told you I would get this one for you." WTH ? A real head scratcher. So the whole time the guy didn't want it for himself, he wanted to get it on behalf of someone else? What could I do? Honestly, it was irritating more than devestating. I realzie I didn't have to sell the page to him, I made that choice. I guess it was just the way he pursued it. It was like he would die if he didn't get it. Then he gets it and it goes to someone else. Did he make more money off of it? I'm not sure. I would presume so. "I told you I would get this one for you." That's what always got me. Did I turn someone down, and this guy came up with the sob grail story to help his buddy? Who knows.

Again, I'm not about revenge just healing. That's all I hope for any of you who went through something like this.

Edited by grapeape

On 5/18/2023 at 11:56 AM, Twanj said:

Who is this working on?

Why would someone ever sell for less to a museum?

The only times I have actually witnessed this done, was due to a dedication plaque "Acquired from the Collection of John Doe" etc.

Some are willing to take less if they receive recognition for it. 

Please note this was not in a art or comic context, but could see this happening there as well. 

There was an avid collector of older planes that sold some of their pieces to an aviation museum. He sold some of them for less than he was offered by another buyer, but the museum has them on display that he can visit and has his name on them.