• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC has a new logo!
6 6

48 posts in this topic

On 5/30/2023 at 11:46 PM, Lightning55 said:

How can I order some of these comics that CGC is selling?

I think that a company that has comics in the name usually sells comics. Like Marvel Comics, DC Comics, Lone Star Comics, etc. Since CGC does not sell comics, the name might be Comic Services. 

If you find out, can you tell me how to order trading cards from CGC Trading Cards, and video games from CGC Video Games.

It seems like they're just standardizing the logo to match the ones for those other CGC services since having CGC alone can refer to about 4 different services now.

Edited by JC25427N

The actual CGC part of the logo is thinner and more vertically elongated. This font part of the logo should probably not have been changed as it's part of a larger branding, and it already has a better font thickness/kerning feel.

On 5/31/2023 at 10:39 AM, Point Five said:

OK, so you're on the fence about it?

m6bdr4ijc3h81.jpg.c751403b45080fe57c9770fbc6baf527.jpg

On 5/31/2023 at 12:07 PM, bc said:

I might have overreacted at first....it's starting to grow on me

like gangrene or leprosy

-bc

Spoiler

chhgcwojc3h81.jpg.d4d31b154692ad9ec15053a9dc48c87b.jpg

The outline is the same width as the CGC letterforms, which makes it hard to discern between the two and doesn’t create a contrast of thicknesses. The kerning between the S and C needed to be adjusted so the whitespace matches the rest of the letters - which could have been done by trimming the tail of the S a bit.

Personally, I don’t like it when two stylized letters (as opposed to regular sans or serif characters) are so close together and one of them hasn’t been altered to give the sense of a true hand-drawn brush --script (with slight variations being evident when someone is actually drawing them by hand) but that’s a personal preference. I might have worked the two “C”s a little bit just to vary the two letters.

I also think this stylization will create problems for their logo family, as Sports Cards, etc which would fall under the CGC brand umbrella have more characters, and don’t fit the comic-ey style of the typeface they used. So they have the choice of doing different typefaces and different scales of letterforms to fit all words into a similar footprint. In logo design for multiple product lines, you start with the longest title first and work the fitment back from that one.

But hey, that’s just a critique!

Edited by Dr. Balls