• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Back Issues Worth Keeping From 2014 to 2020? What would you hope to find?

14 posts in this topic

I'm trying to sift through a former comic store's modern inventory.  These were comics purchased between 2014 and up until the pandemic hit in 2020.  I'm not up to speed with the modern market, so could use some help figuring out just some titles to look for. The majority of the comics are, of course, Marvel & DC's with maybe 10% alternative publishers. I would say variants were not a big focus, so just regular prints for the most part were purchased through Diamond Comics.  

If you were to go through this, what would you be looking for? What titles and/or issues would you hope to find?  Thank you in advance, your help is greatly appreciated.  :foryou:

Some I'm aware of would be Immortal Hulk, Khanan, the last Padiwan, a few of the Mighty Thors with the female Thor,... these are just off the top of my head. hm

This part of the market is so volatile right now, it's hard to keep track. I don't want to be contrary, but a lot of the previously mentioned titles were hot a couple of years ago, but IMHO it's pretty tough to move Immortal Hulk, Lady Thor or Captain Marvel books at the moment, even below cover.

There are a lot of sporadic Star Wars books/1st appearances that are good, so I typically grab all the Star Wars books in these kinds of situations.

Spawn books are usually a safe bet, especially before #300.

Many of the popular cover artists from this era (Hughes, Middleton, Frison, Cho, Artgerm, etc.) will sell for at least a little over cover, and some may surprise you.

There are a number of hot Ninja Turtles issues in this timeframe.

Video game books from this period can do very well.

On 5/31/2023 at 8:48 AM, Forbush-Man said:

I'm trying to sift through a former comic store's modern inventory.  These were comics purchased between 2014 and up until the pandemic hit in 2020.  I'm not up to speed with the modern market, so could use some help figuring out just some titles to look for. The majority of the comics are, of course, Marvel & DC's with maybe 10% alternative publishers. I would say variants were not a big focus, so just regular prints for the most part were purchased through Diamond Comics.  

If you were to go through this, what would you be looking for? What titles and/or issues would you hope to find?  Thank you in advance, your help is greatly appreciated.  :foryou:

I did this exact thing last summer. Do yourself a favor and purchase a Key Collector subscription. There's SO MUCH stuff that popped and its all random.

On 6/1/2023 at 11:57 PM, FlyingDonut said:

I did this exact thing last summer. Do yourself a favor and purchase a Key Collector subscription. There's SO MUCH stuff that popped and its all random.

My partner and I bought a closed store collection 100 long, 50 short. All modern "drek". Oh no. The Key Collector subscription was all we used. Pull everything out shows in the app - there are a jillion books that have blown up. Variants everywhere, and it all sells. $600 variants I've never heard of, etc. etc. etc. Rinse and repeat.

Edited by FlyingDonut

The Amazing Spider-man run in 2015, some decent, some minor but still worth it - 1st Silk, 2nd Spider-Gwen, 1st Spider-Punk, etc. Ultimate Fallout 4 and Edge of Spider-verse 2 are in that time-frame. The Cates Venom run (especially Venom 3). Marvel Hip-Hop variants of a number of books. Not major, but Skottie Young covers often sell for $5-20 (and sometimes more). Strange Academy. Darth Vader 3. Obviously Something is Killing the Children, the first few issues. Just off the top of my head.

Edit to add: Also Stray Dogs (just kidding, unfortunately - I'm still stung by going all-in on those, although depending on what you paid per issue you can still make money).

Edited by Jesse-Lee