• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OOOOOOOHHHHHHHH the mystery of grading!
1 1

8 posts in this topic

I just thought I'd share what was rattling around my head this morning.

It seems to me that grading is more complicated than it needs to be. Like attorneys (and don't get me going there) have all their Latin terms and procedures ....... why. Why in 2023 are we using Latin language  ...... corpus delicti, de facto, habeas corpus, mea culpa, pro bono ............... why? Is it to keep the law mysterious so that a person must go bankrupt in his/her defense because they can't play the Latin Game?

So what about grading comics? Must it be "mysterious"? Couldn't there be a grading scale that anyone could use? A tick is worth one point, a quarter size stain 10 points, a detached centerfold 10 points, two pages detached 20 points, a quarter inch tear 2 points, two quarter inch tears 4 points, half inch tear 5 points, etc.? When you are all done you add up the points and there's your grade. I get it, people say it's the combined plusses and minuses that make the final grade ........ but why, that's the point? I imagine that keeping it mysterious is sort of like using Latin terms in the law ............... if it was all in plain English, we wouldn't need high priced attorneys, and if it was less mysterious we wouldn't need TPG services.

Well that's what was up in that foolish brain of mine this morning, and now that I've emptied it out I can go on with my day!

I call it Sherpa employment.  You intentionally make something so complex that it requires the average person to hire a professional "sherpa" in order to navigate it properly.  The law is a great example.  I think that tax accounting is another one.  The thing about the comic grading industry though is that the complexity is driven by the market is demanding it.  This is just the grading company responding to the demands of the market.  Buyers of slabbed books take comfort in presuming there was a deep level of complexity in certifying the book with a statement of condition.  Kind of like an auditor certifying the financials of a publicly traded company.  

this applies to all parts of american life - if it was easy everybody could do it - if everybody could do it, it wouldnt make anyone any money.

unfortunate side of capitalism.

also don't forget that places like cgc and others only exist so that people can have confidence in something because they cant / dont / or wont trust each other.

kinda like i said in another post regarding art. it's not worth anything unless someone of percieved importance and authority says it is.

On 6/4/2023 at 9:04 AM, Mokiguy said:

It seems to me that grading is more complicated than it needs to be. Like attorneys (and don't get me going there) have all their Latin terms and procedures ....... why. Why in 2023 are we using Latin language  ...... corpus delicti, de facto, habeas corpus, mea culpa, pro bono ............... why? Is it to keep the law mysterious so that a person must go bankrupt in his/her defense because they can't play the Latin Game?

So what about grading comics? Must it be "mysterious"? Couldn't there be a grading scale that anyone could use? A tick is worth one point, a quarter size stain 10 points, a detached centerfold 10 points, two pages detached 20 points, a quarter inch tear 2 points, two quarter inch tears 4 points, half inch tear 5 points, etc.? When you are all done you add up the points and there's your grade. I get it, people say it's the combined plusses and minuses that make the final grade ........ but why, that's the point? I imagine that keeping it mysterious is sort of like using Latin terms in the law ............... if it was all in plain English, we wouldn't need high priced attorneys, and if it was less mysterious we wouldn't need TPG services.

Well that's what was up in that foolish brain of mine this morning, and now that I've emptied it out I can go on with my day!

Grading is an art, not an exact science. People have tried making systems like what you suggest before and some are pretty good, but none are perfect.

Also, we don't need TPGs for grading. Maybe some people do, but I sure don't.

On 6/4/2023 at 10:04 AM, Mokiguy said:

As I recall, at the very beginning CGC reportedly consulted several reliable sources to help establish a grading system that would be universally accepted by both dealers and collectors.

Please bear in mind that this system is only as "mysterious" as the grader who uses it...