• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dear Marvel, You Suck.
2 2

59 posts in this topic

On 6/8/2023 at 11:57 AM, jsilverjanet said:

never understood the fascination with this character

It's actually a very simple reason: people love that he takes matters into his own hands immediately, kills the perceived bad guys and continues to do so with great sacrifice to having a normal life. The same people that like the Punisher probably like films such as Boondock Saints, read Don Pendleton's Mack Bolan books, etc. Justice and revenge are fun to read about since normal people tend to either not experience it, or have to wait a very long time for it.

On 6/8/2023 at 1:05 PM, Dr. Balls said:

It's actually a very simple reason: people love that he takes matters into his own hands immediately, kills the perceived bad guys and continues to do so with great sacrifice to having a normal life. The same people that like the Punisher probably like films such as Boondock Saints, read Don Pendleton's Mack Bolan books, etc. Justice and revenge are fun to read about since normal people tend to either not experience it, or have to wait a very long time for it.

it's one thing to exact revenge on those who hurt you (took his family) but to continue to kill other bad guys? not my cup of tea

On 6/8/2023 at 5:52 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

So....is ASM 129 crashing yet?

I sold a ASM 129 (6.5) on MCS last June for 2K....and one recently sold on Comiclink for 1200...but to put it in proper perspective..I bought the 129 6.5 for 700 in summer 2019 ( and that was FMV at the time, maybe a little under)

Edited by Ed Hanes

On 6/8/2023 at 1:13 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I am on the other end of that spectrum. When you hear about nurses in the ER doing rape kits on children because they've been molested, I'm pretty much all about pointing Frank Castle in the direction of the perpetrators.

wouldn't death be too easy of a punishment

The punisher has been done to death. 
How long could Peter Parker remain in high school or flunking college.

Time to move on already, try a new angle or something. Maybe not this, but TRY anything.

On 6/8/2023 at 12:20 PM, jsilverjanet said:

wouldn't death be too easy of a punishment

I think that's the dividing line over someone who likes the Punisher and who doesn't - it's a different perspective on how justice should be handled. I think there are two "right" answers: you are right that it would be too easy of a punishment, and I am right to say that the world is better off removing someone with that ability to harm children. Neither one of us are wrong - because we both want justice, which is kind of interesting that that philosophy trickles all the way down to which comic characters we prefer.

On 6/8/2023 at 1:26 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I think that's the dividing line over someone who likes the Punisher and who doesn't - it's a different perspective on how justice should be handled. I think there are two "right" answers: you are right that it would be too easy of a punishment, and I am right to say that the world is better off removing someone with that ability to harm children. Neither one of us are wrong - because we both want justice, which is kind of interesting that that philosophy trickles all the way down to which comic characters we prefer.

you are correct, that last one had nothing to do with the punisher or the reason why some my like him vs me

honestly many of these stories stopped working for me about 10 years ago. I still enjoyed some of the event books (house of M, civil war etc) but i don't think I've read a super hero book from the big 2 in quite some time. 

i have enjoyed some of the independent books because there is nothing holding them to 50-60 year history of the character. it seems to me that for some of these characters they've run out stories to tell.

On 6/8/2023 at 12:34 PM, jsilverjanet said:

it seems to me that for some of these characters they've run out stories to tell.

No kidding, right? I think that's why I keep re-reading old stuff.

interesting story.

One comment: further proof that Marvel has never worked to integrate the comics with TV/big screen properties.

They have a character called Ms. Marvel appearing in a big screen feature later this year but in the comics she is dead.

Now this Punisher thing, when he is to appear in the Daredevil TV show coming out.

Makes no sense at all to me and is a huge missed opportunity. They could have end credit scenes that say : read the next issue of the comics to see what happens next!

On 6/8/2023 at 1:03 PM, Artboy99 said:

Makes no sense at all to me and is a huge missed opportunity. They could have end credit scenes that say : read the next issue of the comics to see what happens next!

It is interesting you point that out - their ability to promote comics to the MCU audience has really been lackluster. I know there have been a few instances where they have zero issues, etc that tie into the movies, it seems that in this era with the ability to crossover much more easily, they would have taken advantage of that huge audience. Especially with the Marvel Unlimited subscription service.

On 6/8/2023 at 2:08 PM, Dr. Balls said:

It is interesting you point that out - their ability to promote comics to the MCU audience has really been lackluster. I know there have been a few instances where they have zero issues, etc that tie into the movies, it seems that in this era with the ability to crossover much more easily, they would have taken advantage of that huge audience. Especially with the Marvel Unlimited subscription service.

i think in the beginning they did try and launch comics along with the movies but they quickly found out that the majority of the audience from the movies is not interested in comics so many of those titles were cancelled etc

Edited by jsilverjanet

On 6/7/2023 at 9:45 PM, thehumantorch said:

Marvel, what are you doing?  One of your most original and important characters.

I'd argue that he's not original- he's basically Mack Bolan, The Executioner. Romita Sr. confirmed that he was just a comics rip-off of the popular pulp character.

Not knocking The Punisher, btw- he was certainly hot in the 90s'- I'd argue as to how important he is. An aged Vietnam veteran who operates as a street level vigilante of gangsters occupies his own little niche in the overall Marvel tapestry, but he's not important in the way other characters are.

EXEUC.jpg