• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HERO RESTORATION - BOOKS NOT BEING RETURNED
20 20

961 posts in this topic

On 6/9/2023 at 3:54 PM, Kamenliter said:

Their Yahoo page did actually say ' Permanently Closed' but their IG, FB and website are still active. He's actually started a GoFundMe to seemingly save the business, looking to raise $160,000, but as of the last time I checked it had only raised...$20.

missed it by that much.jpg

On 6/9/2023 at 6:29 PM, Dr. Balls said:

'My girlfriends dog just ate all my baby chickens. I am offline until further notice.'

shibainu-chicken.gif.3392f7873d3235590a9076e30d7d4014.gif

CHICKEN NUGGETS!

In all seriousness - very sorry to hear that your childhood books are amongst the missing.

Lol thanks. Yeah it’s sad. He actually replied again and said my books (and my friends) are still being packed up today ‘as planned.’ We shall see.

On 6/9/2023 at 2:41 PM, Kamenliter said:

This was his response when I wrote that if I didn't receive a tracking # I would be forced to pursue legal means. Seems he just threatened to hold onto my books even longer should he get a call from a lawyer. My friend with the FF 5 has worked in law enforcement and is prepared to call the local PD.  A class action suit would be best, if we could find more people who have books out with him. I posted in the Facebook CGC group, with 33k members and not one person, aside from someone who has a book out since 2018 (!) that needed extensive restoration (and who didn't even seem fazed by it) responded. 

I hope you don't mind me giving some advice, but don't waste any money on an attorney, they are not worth it. All they want to do is charge you and they're not going to get anything more than you can do yourself which is get your books shipped. I really don't like attorneys;; they speak to you like bullies, and it has the opposite effect on me,. Once I hear from one of them to the back of the bus that client goes. For some reason they think vinegar works better than honey, I guess I just don't understand lawyer speak. Even my own attorneys are that way, I'd rather see money go to my favorite charity and break my back to solve the problem myself. If that makes any sense.

I'm sorry you're going through this.  His comment about dogs eating the chickens seems to indicate he doesn't really care what happens now.  Very concerning.  I'd might try once more politely requesting that he send you your books back before contacting the police but I worry he hasn't returned your books because he can't find them.

I've seen two local pressing/comic shops disappear over the last few years and a lot of anger from people who trusted them with their books.  Sending books to get worked on and submitted for grading requires a lot of trust.

On 6/9/2023 at 5:54 PM, Kamenliter said:

Their Yahoo page did actually say ' Permanently Closed' but their IG, FB and website are still active. He's actually started a GoFundMe to seemingly save the business, looking to raise $160,000, but as of the last time I checked it had only raised...$20.

Tell him you will give him $100 toward the business and to use it to ship your books back. 

On 6/9/2023 at 7:04 PM, thehumantorch said:

I'm sorry you're going through this.  His comment about dogs eating the chickens seems to indicate he doesn't really care what happens now.  Very concerning.  I'd might try once more politely requesting that he send you your books back before contacting the police but I worry he hasn't returned your books because he can't find them.

I've seen two local pressing/comic shops disappear over the last few years and a lot of anger from people who trusted them with their books.  Sending books to get worked on and submitted for grading requires a lot of trust.

He wrote today to say that he was still boxing up my books but I won’t believe it until I get a tracking # and the books in hand. Just more stalling but we’ll see tomorrow.

In the last couple of months I’ve learned how to press my own books so I’m not handing my precious books anymore to a third party presser. The only people I’d have do any pressing if it’s something I don’t feel comfortable with or after a signing would be CGC (I know they get a lot of slack but they did a very impressive job on an X-Men 3 recently, getting me an 8.0). 

On 6/9/2023 at 7:16 PM, Buzzetta said:

Tell him you will give him $100 toward the business and to use it to ship your books back. 

If he was reputable and I could trust him sure, but he’s not getting another dime from me. I already paid $34 for shipping (along with the $450 for cleaning/pressing).

On 6/9/2023 at 7:27 PM, NP_Gresham said:

He stole my Amazing Fantasy #15. He just took it and ran along with $3.2 K to restore it.

He is a turd. Write it off and never go near him

Omg what?? That’s grand theft! Did you file a police report?!?

Sorry that happened, that’s horrible.

When did this happen?

On 6/9/2023 at 4:54 PM, Kamenliter said:

Omg what?? That’s grand theft! Did you file a police report?!?

Sorry that happened, that’s horrible.

When did this happen?

Sent him the book in 2019

After numerous calls and emails I get an email in 2022 saying “Your book is started and I will send you updates as it goes along

Then nothing. 

At this point I know it is gone. And spending Lawyer money is a waste of time. If he filed for bankruptcy then it is all over. He becomes immune.

Oh well expensive lesson

On 6/9/2023 at 8:41 PM, NP_Gresham said:

After numerous calls and emails I get an email in 2022 saying “Your book is started and I will send you updates as it goes along

Then nothing. 

At this point I know it is gone. And spending Lawyer money is a waste of time. If he filed for bankruptcy then it is all over. He becomes immune.

Oh well expensive lesson

That is horrible. 

There has to be some recourse.  The value of that book has changed dramatically since 2019. 

Just throwing this out there, if he needs $160k to stay in business, maybe he could start by finishing the jobs he has in house. 

On 6/9/2023 at 2:36 PM, Flanders82 said:

You must've checked the wrong business. The website gives an update as recently as 5-17-23

Comic Book Pressing & Restoration Prices - Hero Restoration LLC (herorestorationcomics.com)

Yeah - it was giving me that for the New Jersey location. Didn't realize this was the Oregon location. This location is in rural Oregon, so filing a police report might do some good. Might.

On 6/9/2023 at 7:04 PM, thehumantorch said:

I've seen two local pressing/comic shops disappear over the last few years and a lot of anger from people who trusted them with their books. 

I remember reading on Facebook around 2019 of a guy who was advertising his pressing business.  Lowest prices, fast turnaround times.

People sent him a lot of books and a lot of cash.  Then he disappeared.

poof.gif.70776437e2a8fe13ae1299d819c78ae9.gif

Then nothing. 

Oh well expensive lesson

Wow, that's really bad. I'd hound him on that, I mean you're talking thousands of dollars. I'm guessing no collectibles insurance?

On 6/9/2023 at 9:03 PM, KCOComics said:

That is horrible. 

There has to be some recourse.  The value of that book has changed dramatically since 2019. 

Just throwing this out there, if he needs $160k to stay in business, maybe he could start by finishing the jobs he has in house. 

Unfortunately he took money upfront for the work he was to do; so all that money is now gone.

This is horrible to hear.

NP, I admire that you are able to let it go like that. I would lose sleep over it and would be like a dog with a bone until I got it back. 

Even though I agree that this should be criminal because it is some shady sounding :censored:, I fear that most PDs and Prosecutors will treat it as a Civil Dispute. 

On 6/9/2023 at 5:41 PM, NP_Gresham said:

Then nothing. 

Oh well expensive lesson

The statute of limitations for property damage in most, if not all states is 3 years. If he said he still had your book in 2022 you still have plenty of time to file a claim with the insurance company for the lost/stolen book. Even if he files for bankruptcy, if he has an active insurance policy, shouldn't there be coverage? I'd at the very least spend 10 minutes giving Collectibles Insurance Services a call, giving the business name, and telling them you want to file a claim under their policy.

Then nothing. 

Oh well expensive lesson

Ugh, did anyone else have troubles with him before you?  Or is this a sudden change?  Seems like a lot of people have sent stuff to him.