• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HERO RESTORATION - BOOKS NOT BEING RETURNED
20 20

961 posts in this topic

On 6/10/2023 at 8:54 AM, mephistopheles said:

Well he might as well file for chapter 11, because word travels fast and based on what I read here he couldn't pay me to allow him to press my books. 

Agreed, who would send books to this guy after reading this thread?  And while this is a fairly small community of collectors word travels fast.

I wonder how many other books Hero Restoration has sat on for years?

On 6/10/2023 at 10:51 AM, Dr. Balls said:

Theft being: "taking of another person's personal property with the intent of depriving that person of the use of their property." That's pretty much what he's doing when you request your book(s) back and he doesn't send it to you within a week-or-so timeframe.

Many years ago, I thought he was a member of this board - namely when he first started doing restoration. I remember his name from 9-10 years ago here, but I'm a little fuzzy on if he was active here or he was just name-dropped. Anyone else recall?

Last visited May 23

https://boards.cgccomics.com/profile/12921-hero-restoration/

On 6/10/2023 at 1:33 PM, MR. Pontoon said:

I remember when he first started, he was practicing on expensive books and keys. People here suggested he scale back and experiment with beater books first. 

On 6/10/2023 at 12:21 PM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

I remember when he first started, he was practicing on expensive books and keys. People here suggested he scale back and experiment with beater books first. 

Blowie - naturally - brings the throwback heat. I've been here for awhile and that never changes. :headbang:

On 6/10/2023 at 3:55 PM, JollyComics said:

Astonished!  I am sorry that you have to go through the whole ordeal.

I am not a fan of the restored books and once I found the book is restored - either way I returned it back immediately or sold it for less (but rarely).

He does restoration and some of the books involved were restored books that he was going to do additional work on to bring to a higher grade. The ones I gave him were unrestored books just needing pressing and cleaning.

On 6/10/2023 at 2:58 PM, Kamenliter said:

He does restoration and some of the books involved were restored books that he was going to do additional work on to bring to a higher grade. The ones I gave him were unrestored books just needing pressing and cleaning.

Pressing and cleaning are easy (it could be done in just few days) but I have absolutely no idea why he holds back.  I am sorry those books are your childhood personal things. Hopefully those are back to you in no time.

I decided to buy my own pressing machine in 2009 after I saw their prices and turnarounds (I didn't like long waiting time) especially the pandemic that impacted everyone in the comic book community and the prices are still rising.  I still press the books on my own. Yep, it saves me money and time and I worry nothing.

HOWEVER, the pandemic did impact my other hobby - the technical diving.  I am a certified N95 trimix diver (Helium, Nitrogen and Oxygen) and usually dove in 200' range and carried four tanks (double tank on my back and two back-up bottles for the decompression stops during the ascending).  Helium is the most expensive of all gasses - I used to have my double filling (both 140 cubic per feet) and paid about $80-90 but it will be about $210 for both tanks!   I don't dive very often like I used to be.

I used to pay $400 Basic Trimix course in 2008 for only $350 and I saw the today's price for the same course is $850!

Edited by JollyComics

On 6/10/2023 at 4:01 PM, JollyComics said:

Pressing and cleaning are easy (it could be done in just few days) but I have absolutely no idea why he holds back.  I am sorry those books are your childhood personal things. Hopefully those are back to you in no time.

I decided to buy my own pressing machine in 2009 after I saw their prices and turnarounds (I didn't like long waiting time) especially the pandemic that impacted everyone in the comic book community and the prices are still rising.  I still press the books on my own. Yep, it saves me money and time and I worry nothing.

HOWEVER, the pandemic did impact my other hobby - the technical diving.  I am a certified N95 trimix diver (Helium, Nitrogen and Oxygen) and usually dove in 200' range and carried four tanks (double tank on my back and two back-up bottles for the decompression stops during the ascending).  Helium is the most expensive of all gasses - I used to have my double filling (both 140 cubic per feet) and paid about $80-90 but it will be about $210 for both tanks!   I don't dive very often like I used to be.

I used to pay $400 Basic Trimix course in 2008 for only $350 and I saw the today's price for the same course is $850!

I bought a press around a year and a half  ago but it sat untouched for months and months until I finally said I’m going to do this; I did start by cleaning books last year but only started pressing in mid April of this year. A couple of weeks in and a I bought a second, larger press, able to accommodate two books, so I can now have three going at a time. I’ve now pressed somewhere around 200 books. It’s saved me tons of money and time.

I can’t understand why he hasn’t sent my books back yet; if still nothing this week then I’ll move to the next step.

btw that’s a heavy price increase on the diving   course (and supplies). I’ve gotta hand it to you, I’m terrified of the water. Went snorkeling in Turks and Caicos in 2006 in only 20-30 foot water and was not having fun looking down. 

Edited by Kamenliter

On 6/10/2023 at 11:21 AM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

After reading those threads I'm actually shocked and amazed that he ended up with a thriving resto business with multiple employees and locations that lasted nearly 14 years before imploding.   :whatthe:

Bankruptcy/Chapter 11 may be a tool used to prevent refunding money but I don’t see how that would apply to being able to keep the books. They were never his. Im going to have to research this just out of curiosity.  

It's definitely not looking good for both Kamenliter and the guy who got his AF15 stolen (yes, stolen). The restorer doesn't seem to have been transparent at all to his customers, and there's no reason to explain why he has held onto clients' comics for extended periods of time, when he isn't even in a position to conduct operations. It sounds like he was always in over his head in starting this business. I'm unsure of recourse options, but I can say that the man's extenuating circumstances don't excuse thousands worth of cash and collectibles that he's withholding. Some in this thread have offered their positive experiences with him, but having done honest jobs doesn't preclude him from scamming people ever.

On 6/10/2023 at 5:39 PM, CAHokie said:

Bankruptcy/Chapter 11 may be a tool used to prevent refunding money but I don’t see how that would apply to being able to keep the books. They were never his. Im going to have to research this just out of curiosity.  

At this point, even if he never touched my books, I'm not worried about the money. I  mean, sure I'd prefer a refund if no work was done, but that seems a far flung possibility and the books in hand are top priority. 

It’s easy for me to say because it’s not my books but I wouldn’t be threatened by that “if an attorney contacts me back of the line” bull:censored:. Oh, if an attorney contacts him you go to the back of the line? It looks like everyone is at the back anyway. 

I would contact an Attorney and see what they think. Maybe a bunch of you can hire one person instead of each paying and explaining to different ones. They can decide how best to proceed whether it’s a Demand Letter, a lawsuit or whatever. (Again, this is not legal advice, but legal advice is what you should seek).