• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Secret Wars #8 High Grade?
1 1

9 posts in this topic

A press will help that rippling, as long as it’s only rippling. It’s hard to tell from the photos whether it breaks color. If it doesn’t, a press should fix it. If it does break color, I’d say 9.4-9.6.

the other issue though is that vertical line running between the A and R in “Wars.” If that’s a manufacturing issue then it shouldn’t ding you. If it happened unnaturally, though, it’ll hit the grade pretty heavily. If it’s a mark or scratch then I think you’re probably looking at a 7.5 or 8.0. Hoping it’s not!

On 6/16/2023 at 5:54 AM, Matt1982 said:

A press will help that rippling, as long as it’s only rippling. It’s hard to tell from the photos whether it breaks color. If it doesn’t, a press should fix it. If it does break color, I’d say 9.4-9.6.

the other issue though is that vertical line running between the A and R in “Wars.” If that’s a manufacturing issue then it shouldn’t ding you. If it happened unnaturally, though, it’ll hit the grade pretty heavily. If it’s a mark or scratch then I think you’re probably looking at a 7.5 or 8.0. Hoping it’s not!

No color breaks in the rippling, will definitely add cgc's press service before grading!  From everything I can see, the line is manufacturer defect.

I'd say 8.5-9.0 with the clean and press - hard to tell until they get it out if the ripple will end up breaking color. I think the top edge, alone with the line will ding, although CGC has surprised me on this thread, so could go as high as 9.2-9.4. 

On 6/16/2023 at 7:14 AM, scburdet said:

Even if it's manufacturing, I can't see this above a 9.0/9.2. It's a misconception that something like a printers crease doesn't hurt the grade. It just doesn't hurt as much

The line is ink, the book is smooth in that area.

A distinction without a difference in my reading of the CGC manual. There are several manufacturing ink defects and all are treated similarly based on severity. To me, that subjectively places this book in the low 9s. There's also anecdotal evidence CGC has less tolerance for defects with high census numbers. This is one of the most often graded comics from what I've seen. In the neighborhood of 30K copies already slabbed.