• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jack Kirby's Son Comments On New Stan Lee Documentary
3 3

331 posts in this topic

On 6/20/2023 at 4:09 PM, Prince Namor said:

Then why engage? Anyone who is 'sick of it' and 'just doesn't care', has the option to ignore it altogether, but... here you all are. 

There are parts of this forum I just plain and simply don't agree with and want nothing to do with. I stay away from them. Simple.

But...

isn't communicating the opinion still relevant? If I went through ignoring things all the time, does one continue to exist?

hm

On 6/20/2023 at 4:31 PM, Jeffro. said:

It's an option and one that far too many people on this planet can't seem to grasp. Just because you can say something doesn't mean you should. I don't mean you specifically, I mean a figurative "you"

I think this entire world would be a lot better off if 75% of the people just shut the eff up. 

I don't disagree, it's a great point.

For the record too, I do not want to undermine or undercut Jack Kirby's involvement and importance.

The whole Stan vs Kirby and how much credit they deserve debate can go on for a long time… as the only people who truly know are them and the people that worked on the books at that time.

But for us at least we know that they all had some part in creating the stories we loved as kids, teens and adults and without one of them we might not have had the chance to experience these awesome stories.

so we might not know who deserves more credit etc but we at least we know who helped create the characters we love. Whether it was a small part or a key stone part all pieces no matter how small or big were important in making those books into what we know and treasure today! 

On 6/21/2023 at 2:24 AM, jimjum12 said:

This is all opinion here (mine) but i always noticed a stiffness, a contrived element to Kirby's own storytelling. To me, It was that way before his work with Stan and that way after Jack left for D.C. and then on to the independents. I was a kid in the 60's and when Kirby left Marvel for D.C. in 1970, I was traumatized. The material he produced alone at D.C. just never did scratch the itch again. Nothing ever really did ... maybe Adams and O'Neil. Even though this is all my opinion, if we "follow the money" and analyze back issue prices, it would seem I am not alone in holding Stan AND Jack, or Stan AND Steve, in a higher regard.... you know, the old "sum of the parts..." thing. 

well said!   I could not agree more.   

"History is written by the victors."

I love comics, I love the history of comics - but the history behind Stan Lee isn't even interesting anymore. It's just polished stories, embellishments and half-truths that leave out any component of the story that would lend to the idea that anyone at all assisted Stan Lee. In 20 years, everyone is going to think that Stan Lee created, wrote, drew, lettered, colored, printed, delivered and sold every Marvel comic book from 1939 to 2020.

I'm not a Stan Lee hater, but like a great many things in the world today: STFU, I've had enough.

On 6/20/2023 at 10:41 PM, Ed Hanes said:

I have been part of a couple art collectives which included designers, musicians, artists, etc. This struggle to define the 'creator' of something as either the person who came up with the idea or the person who put it in physical form was very real within the collectives ...and probably the main reason why these collectives always disintegrated..co creator would work for some projects but for those who only generated an idea..it was difficult to give credit and that caused a lot of drama.  And this was usually because the physical manifestation of the idea was several degrees removed from the original idea. I can understand Neal Kirby's frustration with Stan Lee  because what I think he is trying to express is that an idea requires many stages to become reality and all those changes are as valid as the original spark, and in some cases, moreso. I don't know anywhere in which the original idea (alone) is credited with so much value as we see in Stan Lee's self defense. Nobel Prizes are not given out to people with an idea..you have to put the work into it (in the form of publishing). Entertainment awards are not given to ideas but to the actual released projects (to the public). I think Stan Lee contributed a great deal to the comic world..but so did Jack Kirby and he deserve the accolades and credit also. 

I think there is a lot of truth here.  (thumbsu

But I think what many would argue is that it was Kirby, Ditko, etc. who had most of the actual original ideas.  Ideas that Stan then "polished," if you're in a charitable mind to his contributions.  Though some would say what he did to Kirby's work was similar to what Vince Colletta did: prettified, simplified, and arguably erased a bit.  :frown: