• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage make an offer program.
2 2

39 posts in this topic

I've bought several things through that method, but it's definitely been more miss than hit. Also, I don't like that they put a somewhat large bottom ceiling sometimes, and other times a significantly large starting point on what you can offer. 

Heritage defaults to "available for sale", so the owner may or may not be interested in selling.

Those that are interested in selling may be looking for a BIG markup over their auction price.

They are looking for a huge market . I’ve offered 5 times what they paid 2 years ago and am routinely rejected. 

that Bulletman 1 you see in the picture, it’s said offer 2k. I’m up to a 17k offer. Rejected.

There suggested offers give you no guide what do ever.

On 6/21/2023 at 12:07 PM, action1kid said:

I think their suggested offer is a standard 2x the auction price, up from 50% that it used to be a year or two ago.

On 6/21/2023 at 12:23 PM, adamstrange said:

I think their suggested offer is a standard 2x the auction price, up from 50% that it used to be a year or two ago.

It’s totally off . I prefer a simple buy it now instead of this chess game. Perhaps the buy it now would shock people away.

Yeah I've found it to be totally useless. Since the offers are publicly visible, it feels the sellers have zero reason to sell and can just continue to build up 'real offers' that drive the price up and they can point to when selling the book later or listing a similar book elsewhere  (the make-and-offer price remains after times when the market might be super high, as you cannot make an offer that is LESS than the previous. So if a book spikes one year, I make a crazy offer on it, but then it goes down we all are stuck having to compete against the high offer).

I've also offered 2-3x on some books and still had them refused (I was going crazy on a pedigree I wanted...$500 book but I offered $1500).

Edited by Sauce Dog

On 6/21/2023 at 11:28 AM, adamstrange said:

Heritage defaults to "available for sale", so the owner may or may not be interested in selling.

Those that are interested in selling may be looking for a BIG markup over their auction price.

That's it. I think most of the time the current owner doesn't even know there have been offers/bids. And many of the ones that do just ignore it. 

Also, it can be used by the owner as a way to see how much people are willing to offer for their book.

On 6/21/2023 at 2:12 PM, Professor K said:

That's it. I think most of the time the current owner doesn't even know there have been offers/bids. And many of the ones that do just ignore it. 

Also, it can be used by the owner as a way to see how much people are willing to offer for their book.

Yep!

All of my purchases were automatically relisted when the program was adopted.  I had to switch it off after someone made an offer on one of my books.  I wouldn't have even known if not for the offer.

On 6/21/2023 at 12:07 PM, action1kid said:

They are looking for a huge market . I’ve offered 5 times what they paid 2 years ago and am routinely rejected. 

that Bulletman 1 you see in the picture, it’s said offer 2k. I’m up to a 17k offer. Rejected.

I made an offer on a book a while back, and it was rejected. The same book showed up at auction a few months later and sold for substantially less that what I had offered. I think that the sellers are just playing games. (To be honest, I'm struggling to understand WHY you would offer $7K for that book, let alone $17K . . . is it just because it's the Allentown copy?)

On 6/21/2023 at 11:54 AM, Yorick said:

All of my purchases were automatically relisted when the program was adopted.  I had to switch it off after someone made an offer on one of my books.  I wouldn't have even known if not for the offer.

Same. I had no idea Heritage was listing books I had won at auction as "available for sale" until I received an offer for an X-Men #4 that was long gone from my collection.

On 6/21/2023 at 11:07 AM, action1kid said:

I have a couple of pedigree Nickels you can make an offer on...

nickel5.jpg

nickel8.jpg

On 6/21/2023 at 2:55 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

I made an offer on a book a while back, and it was rejected. The same book showed up at auction a few months later and sold for substantially less that what I had offered. I think that the sellers are just playing games. (To be honest, I'm struggling to understand WHY you would offer $7K for that book, let alone $17K . . . is it just because it's the Allentown copy?)

Yes. Because it the Allentown copy. Very tuff to get with only 135 copies in the entire collection. Anyway it was rejected

On 6/21/2023 at 10:56 AM, action1kid said:

I find it very frustrating. The bids are either ignored or  rejected . Are they even interested in selling? 

IMG_6783.png

For awhile, Heritage would somehow automatically turn it on and also encourage buyers to make offers of only ten percent higher than what it was won for.  This would remain active until the original purchaser turned it off.  Eventually I found a selection that basically opted me out of having my auction winnings automatically added to their exchange. 

I remember that a few other friends were dealing with the same issues. 

So... long story short... I suspect that there are "sellers" on the Heritage Exchange that have no intention of selling their items on the exchange and either do not know how to or do not care to delist them because they never made them available in the first place. 

On 6/21/2023 at 2:10 PM, Dark Knight said:

I once made an offer using that system and it got accepted.  Unfortunately, I was just testing it out and made a pretty high offer at that time just to see if it worked.  Well, after it was accepted, I guess it did lol

At least it worked on a Tec27 😀