• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

From the collection of Nicolas Cage
2 2

25 posts in this topic

Hi, I recently purchased a 7.0 cgc copy of Weird Science #11 that has a Comic Connect sticker attributing it to the Nicolas Cage's personal collection. I don't believe it comes with any additional paper work other than the sticker.

It's in an older cgc slab which doesn't have the nicolas cage attribution on it. If I send this into cgc for a new slab, what are the odds that they'll give me the 'From the Collection of Nicolas Cage" attribution. Do i need to include any documents (maybe photocopy of the comic connect sticker)? Is there any shot I can reach out to Comic Connect to see if they have additional records/provenance supporting that it's from cage collection?

Edit: here’s the previous comic connect sale: https://www.comicconnect.com/item/461738#description?tzf=1

Anyone have experience with CGC honoring (or not) comic connect’s pedigree attribution? 

Thanks for the help!

Alec

IMG_3007.jpeg

IMG_3006.jpeg

Edited by aleccomix
Add photo, link

On 6/22/2023 at 1:06 AM, aleccomix said:

Hi, I recently purchased a 7.0 cgc copy of Weird Science #11 that has a Comic Connect sticker attributing it to the Nicolas Cage's personal collection. I don't believe it comes with any additional paper work and I can't find comic connect auction results online. 

It's in an older cgc slab which doesn't have the nicolas cage attribution on it. If I send this into cgc for a new slab, what are the odds that they'll give me the 'From the Collection of Nicolas Cage" attribution. Do i need to include any documents (maybe photocopy of the comic connect sticker)? Is there any shot I can reach out to Comic Connect to see if they have additional records/provenance supporting that it's from cage collection?

Thanks for the help!

Alec

image.png

Alec - I would be super concerned about a grade drop.  Those stains on the back are really bad. Just something to think about.

On 6/22/2023 at 9:33 AM, seanfingh said:

Alec - I would be super concerned about a grade drop.  Those stains on the back are really bad. Just something to think about.

Hi Sean, that definitely occurred to me. I was considering sending it to a presser/cleaner because the rest of the book seems to be in great shape—but that just makes me even more nervous about the cage attribution since currently my only proof is a 10 year old comic connect sticker attached to the slab. But I do really hate the look of the old slab on my wall next to a bunch of newer ones lol

I did end up finding the original CC sale from 2012 where I think the cage sticker was added—geez I wish I had only paid that much lol.

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/461738#description

Does anyone have experience with CGC honoring (or ignoring) comic connect attribution for other pedigrees? Should I peel off the comicconnecr sticker and submit the book with a photocopy? That way I’m not risking losing my only evidence.

Thanks! 

IMG_3007.jpeg

IMG_3006.jpeg

On 6/22/2023 at 7:55 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Could be worth a shot.

Fingers crossed, Capra—I found the original sale from 2012 and included that in an email to their support team. 

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/461738#description 

I’m sure I’m giving way too much personal value to the Nicolas cage ‘pedigree’ (I know it isn’t technically). 

I would consider contacting cgc customer service ahead of time.

On 6/22/2023 at 3:48 PM, Flanders82 said:

I'd leave it as is. You can always make your own sticker or perhaps display it next to his headshot or a nice piece of artwork of him stealing the declaration of independence. 

nick cage declaration of independence.PNG

image.png.19c3e18d68f4215ed84f46bd11c1c760.png

On 6/22/2023 at 5:10 PM, Artboy99 said:

a valid comment.

I was wondering the same thing. All the Nic Cage books I've seen (not many) all have the notation on the label.

On 6/28/2023 at 10:11 AM, Stelly Stel said:

Only books Nic submitted to CGC are part of the Collection.

Okay. So a book from Nick Cages collection that wasn't cgc graded isn't from Nick Cages collection.

I don't really question the authenticity, because he found the original sale from CC.  And we know Cage worked with Vincent to sell the collection. 

I would email CGC. Send the original auction and pictures of the sticker and ask if you could get it reholdered with a nick cage label. 

If you want to have it pressed and dry cleaned, only use CCS and talk to CGC about it. I say this because I think that slab is an important part authenticating the story. It has the sticker, it's the right generation slab. Once you crack it,  you'll lose that traceability, even if you keep the sticker and label. 

I also wouldn't recommend pressing the book or having it regarded. I would just ask if you could reholder with the updated Cage label. 

On 6/29/2023 at 8:18 AM, KCOComics said:

I don't really question the authenticity, because he found the original sale from CC.  And we know Cage worked with Vincent to sell the collection. 

I would email CGC. Send the original auction and pictures of the sticker and ask if you could get it reholdered with a nick cage label. 

If you want to have it pressed and dry cleaned, only use CCS and talk to CGC about it. I say this because I think that slab is an important part authenticating the story. It has the sticker, it's the right generation slab. Once you crack it,  you'll lose that traceability, even if you keep the sticker and label. 

I also wouldn't recommend pressing the book or having it regarded. I would just ask if you could reholder with the updated Cage label. 

Great answer! I agree that I think comic connect’s claim is pretty credible considering how involved they’ve in selling his books(& the amount of other cage books sold in same & other auctions—some with the cgc label designation and some without).

I’ve held off on emailing CGC to see if I could get a response from CC-but none so far. I’m guessing CGC cust service will give me a canned response like “it would have to be reviewed in-house on a case-by-case basis” —which they told me about a separate NH pedigree Jumbo Comics book I recently picked up. @CGC Comics would you like to save me an email and reply here? 

I’m worried they would crack the old slab, throw it away, and not put nic cage collection on the new slab—effectively destroying my evidence. Tough decision ahead for sure. I’m not planning to sell for foreseeable future (it’s my first EC book), so I might just try to deal with the old cgc case for a while. 

I would just be super first with CGC through email. Get it in writing and then when you mail in the comic include specific instructions and the printed email correspondence with who you spoke to. 

I've found CGC to be fairly reasonable when dealing with specific situations. 

But make sure they agree with your prominence and chain of custody. Don't send the slab unless they say with 100% certainty they will give it the label designation. 

On 6/22/2023 at 1:06 AM, aleccomix said:

If I send this into cgc for a new slab, what are the odds that they'll give me the 'From the Collection of Nicolas Cage" attribution

They shouldn't. 

Stickers are easy to print.

But... we've seen them do a lot of things they shouldn't do.