• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stolen OA Alert - UPDATED Monday, May 6th 2024
2 2

122 posts in this topic

On 10/8/2023 at 10:41 PM, Kevin76 said:

That really sucks, I have some valuable art, if I ever sell them through Heritage, I'd hand them to them in person at a show. I know you being in Canada it isn't that easy to do.  USPS employees are also watching out for packages being delivered to Heritage since they know it's more than likely something valuable being sent to them

I just submitted art to HA and was explicitly instructed by Joe to NOT use USPS, meaning they are well aware of the problem

On 10/8/2023 at 7:46 PM, Brian Peck said:

Update on my lost Ghost Rider page.

Someone contacted me thru Comicartfans a few weeks ago, said he "found" the artwork and wondering if there was a reward. I had him send me a photo of the artwork as proof which he did. Thru the name he gave me and other info I found he is in Missouri not in Texas where it disappeared  I offered to send him money to cover shipping the artwork back and when I received it I would send him a finders fee. The guy thought the page was worth much more and asked for more payment. At that point I contacted the USPS again and am involving the police. Will let you know how it ends up.

Brian

Absolute scum even if they had nothing to do with the theft. A finder's fee??

On 10/9/2023 at 4:15 PM, KirbyCollector said:

I used FedEx Ground and it got there just fine

Yup that was my mistake. I usually don't have issues sending comic art by USPS but then I sed to private residences not address with "Auctions" in the title.

On 10/9/2023 at 7:34 PM, Brian Peck said:

Yup that was my mistake. I usually don't have issues sending comic art by USPS but then I sed to private residences not address with "Auctions" in the title.

Same can easily occur with Fedex and UPS.

Were the USPS sent Priority or Registered?

On 10/10/2023 at 10:07 AM, MAR1979 said:

Same can easily occur with Fedex and UPS.

Were the USPS sent Priority or Registered?

Yes, but at least three packages have been stolen on their way to Heritage via USPS. Mine was priority. This is the only issue I have had with USPS in over 30 years of shipping artwork. Registered takes forever and the tracking sucks. No real update til it arrives at the destination.

Registered is very slow but highly unlikely to be messed with due to the internsl auditing.

Personally i have more if chance of winning the current powerball than having a Fedex Package actually being delivered to my address. Yep its that bad. UPS and USPS no real issues in decades

On 10/10/2023 at 12:51 PM, Brian Peck said:

Yes, but at least three packages have been stolen on their way to Heritage via USPS. Mine was priority. This is the only issue I have had with USPS in over 30 years of shipping artwork. Registered takes forever and the tracking sucks. No real update til it arrives at the destination.

I just sent art with a purchase value of $10K, which is a lot to me, to a restorer. I sent it USPS Priority Registered, i.e., under lock and key, to the restorers PO Box. I put an AirTag in the box and watched it travel. Because of the lock and key requirement, it's slow and ground, but it got there. It was kinda fun to watch its journey from Houston up I45 to DFW, east on I20, down to Tampa, up to Orlando, down to Tampa, back to Orlando, and finally to the restorer. Two weeks. Most of that time it was in a PO waiting for the next step. No clue why it migrated from Tampa to Orlando to Tampa to Orlando though.

On 10/10/2023 at 12:27 PM, MAR1979 said:

Registered is very slow but highly unlikely to be messed with due to the internsl auditing.

Personally i have more if chance of winning the current powerball than having a Fedex Package actually being delivered to my address. Yep its that bad. UPS and USPS no real issues in decades

With Fedex I have it held at a local office which I then pickup from.

It seems that all of the Missouri residents almost have to be part of the scam. How could the contents of two separate parcels of 1 of 1 materials stolen in Texas end up in Missouri without the current "custodians" being involved?  The only two things that link the parcels are (1) they were OA being shipped to Heritage and (2) they were stolen in Dallas.

100% certainty that is no coincidence.

I just read through this and maybe I missed the location but were these found in Sikeston Missouri?

There is a huge group of outlet stores on location and they deal in everything from amazon/postal returns to the standard damaged and overstock clothes/furniture. If this is the same location I usually swing by there once a month to look for lighting equipment on my way back from Nashville. I have never seen original art in the bins but have seen broken modern slabs from various companies a couple times.

On 10/12/2023 at 12:26 AM, DougC said:

I just read through this and maybe I missed the location but were these found in Sikeston Missouri?

There is a huge group of outlet stores on location and they deal in everything from amazon/postal returns to the standard damaged and overstock clothes/furniture. If this is the same location I usually swing by there once a month to look for lighting equipment on my way back from Nashville. I have never seen original art in the bins but have seen broken modern slabs from various companies a couple times.

No, not Sikeston Missouri, but in Dexter.  They are approximately 19 miles apart.

For those reading this thread who may have information about the thefts/stolen artwork in this thread, I suggest you DM me as soon as possible, for your own sake.

Edited by jjonahjameson11

On 10/11/2023 at 1:43 PM, alxjhnsn said:

I just sent art with a purchase value of $10K, which is a lot to me, to a restorer. I sent it USPS Priority Registered, i.e., under lock and key, to the restorers PO Box. I put an AirTag in the box and watched it travel. Because of the lock and key requirement, it's slow and ground, but it got there. It was kinda fun to watch its journey from Houston up I45 to DFW, east on I20, down to Tampa, up to Orlando, down to Tampa, back to Orlando, and finally to the restorer. Two weeks. Most of that time it was in a PO waiting for the next step. No clue why it migrated from Tampa to Orlando to Tampa to Orlando though.

Genius to use the Air Tag - Alex - you have great taste in art and are a genius

On 10/11/2023 at 1:43 PM, alxjhnsn said:

When a parcel is colic-y, the USPS takes it for ride.

My current struggles with Fedex on some graded books being returned. Note I live in Phoenix. I was certain they were stolen from the local hub, but they now seem to be on a truck making its way along I-20. This suggests that when you open a case with them they have some very accurate GPS data that normal tracking doesn't tie in to. Thankfully this isn't a five figure consignment on its way to HA.

image.png

Edited by cstojano

On 10/20/2023 at 2:59 PM, cstojano said:

My current struggles with Fedex on some graded books being returned. Note I live in Phoenix. I was certain they were stolen from the local hub, but they now seem to be on a truck making its way along I-20. This suggests that when you open a case with them they have some very accurate GPS data that normal tracking doesn't tie in to. Thankfully this isn't a five figure consignment on its way to HA.

image.png

Are these books on vacation or on their way back to you??!!