• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stolen OA Alert - UPDATED Monday, Aug 21st
2 2

121 posts in this topic

On 6/26/2023 at 4:48 PM, G.A.tor said:

that's a lot of pages...surely this will be a hard theft to fence...I hope the community is on the lookout for you!

I hate to say that discovering they were fenced is the best case scenario for a fragile collectible that can't be easily sold at the local pawn shop.

On 6/26/2023 at 6:42 PM, RBerman said:

I hate to say that discovering they were fenced is the best case scenario for a fragile collectible that can't be easily sold at the local pawn shop.

Whoever stole them may not know what they are, but will recognize comics characters... wouldn't be surprised if the thief walks them right into a local comics shop and asks for some info/pricing help. Yoram might want to alert some of the shop owners near the last known USPS transit point...

On 6/25/2023 at 3:54 PM, Aahz said:

Also this" https://www.cbsnews.com/news/us-postal-service-warning-checks-mail-fraud-theft/

At this point, sadly, you have to question the purpose and the utility of the mail system.

What a world, huh? I am fortunate to live in an older neighborhood where my mail is still delivered through a slot that drops the mail right into my kitchen. Its insane to me they still do this as the labor cost to walk mail to every house must be high. I don't miss the large communal mail boxes typical of newer communities at all.

Edited by cstojano

HI, all:

In my initial post, I stated that I sent Heritage another package a week after the first one, and after going through the same hassles with USPS, I have received confirmation that the second package has also been stolen by a USPS employee.  A police report has been filed.

Please spread the word on these covers/pages and DM me should you come across any.  Thanks again to everyone for your support, suggestions, and well-wishes.

• Brett Booth Gunslinger Spawn #11p16
  • Brett Booth Gunslinger Spawn #14p7
  • Alan Weiss Amazing Spiderman #209p9, 1st appearance of Calypso.  Spidey is in the 1st panel
  • John Romita Jr Green Arrow #51 cover
  • Brett Booth Gunslinger Spawn #15p10
  • John Romita Jr The Flash #51 cover
  • John Romita Jr Thor #25p28 very impressive full page splash of Thor preparing to land a knock-out blow against Thanos
  • Dale Keown Incredible Hulk #370p9 Namor vs Hulk battle page.  Two panels have stats of the original artwork, which is directly beneath the stats.
  • Dale Keown Incredible Hulk #371p11 Namor vs Hulk battle page
  • John Romita Jr Thor #25p32 half splash featuring Thor vs Thanos battle
  • Kevin Maguire JLA Classified #6p21 featuring Booster Gold, Blue Beetle, Fire & Ice working at a hamburger joint in Hell
  • Kevin Maguire JLA Classified #5p12 featuring Booster Gold, Blue Beetle, and Power Girl
  • Sean Chen Sensational Spiderman #33p11
  • Sean Chen Sensational Spiderman #33p13
  • Luke Ross Spectacular Spiderman #241p7
  • Luke Ross and Al Milgrom Spectacular Spiderman #251p11
  • Luke Ross and Al Milgrom Spectacular Spiderman #251p13
  • Luke Ross and Dan Green Spectacular Spiderman #253p21
  • Luke Ross and Dan Green Spectacular Spiderman #254p4
  • Luke Ross and Dan Green Spectacular Spiderman #255p22
  • Luke Ross and Dan Green Spectacular Spiderman #256p6
  • Luke Ross and Dan Green Spectacular Spiderman #256p21
  • Luke Ross and Dan Green Spectacular Spiderman #257p2
  • Luke Ross and Dan Green Spectacular Spiderman #257p4
  • Luke Ross and Dan Green Spectacular Spiderman #257p8
  • Luke Ross and Al Williamson Sensational Spiderman #7p22 half splash

I'm sickened by this. Not once but twice. I have the lists and I'm watching. If any of these pages Pop up anywhere, I'll send you all the info.

if this thief goes into a comic store or convention, a camera is bound to catch his image. I can't fathom the financial loss of both shipments.

Again, many of us in our community are watching out for you to locate your art. I believe in miracles 🙏 

Sorry this happened.

On 6/28/2023 at 8:26 PM, grapeape said:

if this thief goes into a comic store or convention

Yoram, you might be well served by sending your two lists (and scans of every piece) to EVERY major dealer and getting confirmation of their receipt of the same. Not only would the extra set of eyes be good, but it also prevents the "Don't blame me, I didn't know I was selling John Byrne's stolen sketchbook pieces" situation down the road.

On 6/29/2023 at 9:40 AM, KirbyCollector said:

Yoram, you might be well served by sending your two lists (and scans of every piece) to EVERY major dealer and getting confirmation of their receipt of the same. Not only would the extra set of eyes be good, but it also prevents the "Don't blame me, I didn't know I was selling John Byrne's stolen sketchbook pieces" situation down the road.

Good suggestion…I will do so

On 6/29/2023 at 9:58 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Good suggestion…I will do so

Not sure where in the postal chain the particular USPS employee is located, but Nickel City Comic Con in Buffalo, NY (right over the border) is this weekend. Whoever is on that dealer list might be a good place to start.

Editing to tag some boardies who might be going to that con?? @BlowUpTheMoon @storypapers @colossus is awesome!

Edited by Readcomix

Horrible. Seems to me that Heritage and USPS should be putting out a warning about this until the culprit is found. You should post about this on the Original Comic Art Collectors group on Facebook since it has far more members than we have here. Or I can do it for you if you don't use Facebook.

On 6/29/2023 at 11:07 AM, RBerman said:

Horrible. Seems to me that Heritage and USPS should be putting out a warning about this until the culprit is found. You should post about this on the Original Comic Art Collectors group on Facebook since it has far more members than we have here. Or I can do it for you if you don't use Facebook.

I would appreciate that very much, thanks 🙏 

On 6/29/2023 at 11:07 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

I would appreciate that very much, thanks 🙏 

I posted it on Facebook. The very last entry I think should have read "Spider-Man #257" not "Spider-Man #7." Do you have a CAF Gallery? You could move these pieces into a "stolen pages" gallery that would make it easy to consult in the future.

Its possible that many items headed for Heritage are stolen in the "last mile".  Having Heritage's name as the "To:" mailing address makes every parcel headed there a Target.  Heritage needs to address this gap. 

I think we all feel for the OP's losses

Edited by MAR1979

On 6/28/2023 at 4:44 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

HI, all:

In my initial post, I stated that I sent Heritage another package a week after the first one, and after going through the same hassles with USPS, I have received confirmation that the second package has also been stolen by a USPS employee.  A police report has been filed.

Please spread the word on these covers/pages and DM me should you come across any.  Thanks again to everyone for your support, suggestions, and well-wishes.

• Brett Booth Gunslinger Spawn #11p16
  • Brett Booth Gunslinger Spawn #14p7
  • Alan Weiss Amazing Spiderman #209p9, 1st appearance of Calypso.  Spidey is in the 1st panel
  • John Romita Jr Green Arrow #51 cover
  • Brett Booth Gunslinger Spawn #15p10
  • John Romita Jr The Flash #51 cover
  • John Romita Jr Thor #25p28 very impressive full page splash of Thor preparing to land a knock-out blow against Thanos
  • Dale Keown Incredible Hulk #370p9 Namor vs Hulk battle page.  Two panels have stats of the original artwork, which is directly beneath the stats.
  • Dale Keown Incredible Hulk #371p11 Namor vs Hulk battle page
  • John Romita Jr Thor #25p32 half splash featuring Thor vs Thanos battle
  • Kevin Maguire JLA Classified #6p21 featuring Booster Gold, Blue Beetle, Fire & Ice working at a hamburger joint in Hell
  • Kevin Maguire JLA Classified #5p12 featuring Booster Gold, Blue Beetle, and Power Girl
  • Sean Chen Sensational Spiderman #33p11
  • Sean Chen Sensational Spiderman #33p13
  • Luke Ross Spectacular Spiderman #241p7
  • Luke Ross and Al Milgrom Spectacular Spiderman #251p11
  • Luke Ross and Al Milgrom Spectacular Spiderman #251p13
  • Luke Ross and Dan Green Spectacular Spiderman #253p21
  • Luke Ross and Dan Green Spectacular Spiderman #254p4
  • Luke Ross and Dan Green Spectacular Spiderman #255p22
  • Luke Ross and Dan Green Spectacular Spiderman #256p6
  • Luke Ross and Dan Green Spectacular Spiderman #256p21
  • Luke Ross and Dan Green Spectacular Spiderman #257p2
  • Luke Ross and Dan Green Spectacular Spiderman #257p4
  • Luke Ross and Dan Green Spectacular Spiderman #257p8
  • Luke Ross and Al Williamson Sensational Spiderman #7p22 half splash

Where were the last locations the two packages were last listed in USPS system?

On 6/29/2023 at 10:19 PM, pemart1966 said:

If indeed it was a USPS employee responsible, I find it astounding that someone would risk their livelihood; benefits; pension; future; etc by doing something like this.

Risk vs, reward. How many thieves are caught?

On 6/29/2023 at 8:19 PM, pemart1966 said:

I find it astounding that someone would risk their livelihood; benefits; pension; future; etc by doing something like this.

People who are broke, struggling, greedy and inconsiderate make poor decisions. Unfortunately, in this day and age, those four traits cross over a lot of people.