• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stolen OA Alert - UPDATED Monday, Aug 21st
2 2

121 posts in this topic

On 6/29/2023 at 2:17 PM, Twanj said:

Some images might help too.

Agreed - this is a visual medium so pictures will serve far better than lists and descriptions. I would create a CAF gallery and add each page image. Don't get me wrong, anything you can do is a smart move and covering all bases is a prudent decision. 

I am very sorry to hear about this. I would think they police would be able to narrow a suspect list down based on who worked the shift, handled the art, etc. the last time it was recorded as being in the system. I hope you find every page!

It would be great to share the images with the collecting community, but as this was the 1st (and now, 2nd) time this has happened, I did not take any pics.  Thus, no images to share :gossip:

However, I will be sending a list of the stolen OA to all of the OA dealers today and I have already taken pics of the next batch of OA that I will be consigning.

On 6/30/2023 at 1:29 AM, Brian Peck said:

Where were the last locations the two packages were last listed in USPS system?

For both instances, it was the Dallas USPS distribution center, followed by the "out for delivery", and then...deafening silence.

On 6/30/2023 at 12:18 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

For both instances, it was the Dallas USPS distribution center, followed by the "out for delivery", and then...deafening silence.

Yup same as mine. USPS should find out who was working those three times.

On 6/30/2023 at 3:19 PM, Brian Peck said:

You would think that if it was OUT FOR DELIVERY the USPS should know EXACTLY whose truck it was on when it vanished.  

BUT... I think most USPS warehouses have the trucks pre-loaded the night before, and the packages all get changed to 'OUT FOR DELIVERY' all at once, when the truck leaves in the morning.  The packages could have been lifted by someone on the night shift (I presume there is such a thing in the USPS, especially in a hub like Dallas) off the truck after it was loaded.  The driver would leave for his route first thing in the morning, and the package status would be changed to OFD even though the package itself was long gone off the truck.

Would also expect there to be security cameras in the warehouse, though.

Edited by thethedew

On 6/30/2023 at 3:19 PM, Brian Peck said:

...and, not to be a rabble-rouser, but Heritage must be made aware the fact that more and more members of this hobby have been alerted to the problem, and are... dismayed.  Would be a shame if they were perceived to be indifferent to our concerns, and the reputation risk that would follow.

Heritage needs to hop on the back of the Dallas Police Case Worker and the USPS to make certain this is addressed.

Edited by thethedew

On 6/30/2023 at 12:16 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

It would be great to share the images with the collecting community, but as this was the 1st (and now, 2nd) time this has happened, I did not take any pics.  Thus, no images to share :gossip:

Might I suggest pulling images of the published art from the internet...? 

On 7/1/2023 at 12:37 AM, Dr. Balls said:

People who are broke, struggling, need to pay for their next fix, greedy and inconsiderate make poor decisions. Unfortunately, in this day and age, those four traits cross over a lot of people.

FTFY

On 7/1/2023 at 4:19 AM, Brian Peck said:
On 7/1/2023 at 3:18 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Why aren't you guys pressing charges with the police?  It seems like you've done a pretty good job of putting some of the relevant facts together that they can investigate, and presumably these are fairly large dollar amounts we're talking about.

On 7/1/2023 at 6:15 AM, thethedew said:

The packages could have been lifted by someone on the night shift (I presume there is such a thing in the USPS, especially in a hub like Dallas) off the truck after it was loaded.  The driver would leave for his route first thing in the morning, and the package status would be changed to OFD even though the package itself was long gone off the truck.

Would also expect there to be security cameras in the warehouse, though.

There are definitely cameras everywhere at these kinds of places.

This should not be left to USPS.  They probably don't care, particularly if insurance has been paid out so in their minds, the customer has been made whole.

The USPS has the Postal Inspectors which is their law enforcement division.  Maybe file a report with them.  https://www.uspis.gov/

However, I'm sure they're more concerned about things like stolen retirement checks or smuggling than comic book art.  But a police report is certainly useful for filing insurance claims or if the art does turn up.

Edited by Will_K

On 6/30/2023 at 2:16 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

However, I will be sending a list of the stolen OA to all of the OA dealers today and I have already taken pics of the next batch of OA that I will be consigning.

Take photos of all your art, whether it's being consigned now or not. At some point, someone will need that information.

Where my cabin is at, the last mile is done by contract delivery people.  There are tons of complaints of packages disappearing, mail not delivered, etc.  Definitely a concern with getting stuff delivered up there.

On 7/1/2023 at 11:32 AM, batman_fan said:

Where my cabin is at, the last mile is done by contract delivery people.  There are tons of complaints of packages disappearing, mail not delivered, etc.  Definitely a concern with getting stuff delivered up there.

Dallas knows all about that, unfortunately https://www.dallasobserver.com/news/former-usps-contractors-allegedly-swiped-4-million-worth-of-mail-12738106

On 7/1/2023 at 6:31 AM, Will_K said:

However, I'm sure they're more concerned about things like stolen retirement checks or smuggling than comic book art.  But a police report is certainly useful for filing insurance claims or if the art does turn up.

Depending on value, big crime:

Texas

Under Texas Penal Code, Title 7, Chapter 31 (Penal Code, Title 7, Chapter 31:

• State jail felony. Theft of $1,500 to $20,000. 180 days to two years incarceration and a fine of up to $10,000.
  • 3rd degree felony for theft of $20,000 to $100,000. Two to 10 years imprisonment at the Texas Department of Criminal Justice and a fine of up to $10,000.
  • 2nd degree felony for theft of $100,000 to $200,000. Two to 20 years imprisonment at the Texas Department of Criminal Justice and a fine of up to $10,000.
  • 1st degree felony for theft above $200,000. Five to 99 years in the Texas Department of Criminal Justice and/or a fine of up to $10,000.

Civil penalties are also imposed and prior convictions are taken into consideration with sentencing.