• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Important info regarding HotShotComics and his customers books at CGC
6 6

68 posts in this topic

Kudos to CGC for taking action. 

One element that makes this complicated is that the scam extends beyond CGC. From what I understand, some people were doing pre-orders on Ebay which has a limited time for refunds. I remember doing a pre-order from a different seller on Ebay and even though he may have been legit (still no idea about this) I cancelled the order when it was pushing up again the max window for a refund. While most people are honest, and just want to get by, there are always people out there trying to scam a quick buck. 

On 6/28/2023 at 8:52 PM, CGC Mike said:

I am not exactly sure at this time.  I believe it will be a fairly short wait.  Maybe 5 business days?  With that said, we will be closed July 3rd and 4th.  

I appreciate that, thank you! I sent two emails, one was with a general inquiry and the other has detailed info. Thanks again for the help!

On 6/30/2023 at 1:25 AM, Mike Hammer said:

I appreciate that, thank you! I sent two emails, one was with a general inquiry and the other has detailed info. Thanks again for the help!

I hope CGC has the book you paid for, mate. Good luck. 

On 6/28/2023 at 4:25 PM, Mike Hammer said:

Hey, just wondering - after we send an email, how long should we wait to hear any sort of response? Just asking so I can make sure I didn't miss anything. Thanks!

Hey, Mike. I emailed on 6/27 and heard back just about an hour and a half ago. That was much quicker than I expected! CGC is on it! Filled out my claim form and sent it in with pics of my receipts. Stay tuned...

On 6/28/2023 at 8:15 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

Well yea. (shrug)

You can get away with just paying your dealer bill and screwing over customers for a while which Hotshots is accused of before CGC would possibly get involved.  Especially since those pre-orders were sometimes 6-12 months in advance. That's also 6-12 months those customers were only contacting Hotshots, NOT CGC unfortunately for them.  CGC has nothing to do with Hotshots business model or lack thereof.  All they can do is make a judgement call after hearing from the general public if they want to continue allowing him to submit, or when Hotshots does not pay their dealer balance.  (edit) Also from what CGC Mike said below, help fellow collectors get their books back if they are still in house at CGC submitted under Hotshots dealer account.

Like the scene in Goodfellas, Hotshots has run our of store credit it seems...

YARN | ...when you can't borrow another buck or buy another case of  booze... | Goodfellas (1990) | Video gifs by quotes | 3c716c30 | 紗

Larry boy

• Administrator
On 6/29/2023 at 2:54 PM, WNC dude said:

Hey, Mike. I emailed on 6/27 and heard back just about an hour and a half ago. That was much quicker than I expected! CGC is on it! Filled out my claim form and sent it in with pics of my receipts. Stay tuned...

That is awesome.  A bunch of people have contacted us.  If anyone sees a thread that should have a link to this one, please let me know.  We want to get these books back to the people who have paid HotShotComics for CGC books and didn't receive them due to the significant, outstanding balance they have with CGC.  

image.thumb.png.b89d0dadc3bfe5f4b4219cfef4a0f36c.png

This is so stupid.  I work in accounting, people are late to pay, we have a threshold for which we're tolerant of late payments.  Beyond that and we start shutting off your services.  You can't just not pay your bills and then expect a company to go back to business as usual as soon as you pay a small portion of what you owe.  Paying down a reasonable portion of your existing debts is a good faith measure to prove that you're able to pay off the remaining portion.  If you owe $100k and you only offer to pay $2k, that's not a serious offer.  Seriously, he's lucky AR didn't ask for half.

On 6/30/2023 at 3:43 PM, wombat said:

I don't think there is a single person buying their BS sob story. 

Just wait until they get this awesome blog up! Boy will you change your tune.  (tsk)

ScreenShot2023-06-30at10_24_57PM.thumb.png.8e5144fe705da62ff9bbdf16821b5a0c.png

• Administrator

Just giving this thread a bump.  I was updated about a week ago, and at that point, we have received 85 e-mails and a few phone calls regarding this.  If you have had business dealings with HotShotComics and paid for a specific, guaranteed CGC grade and did not receive your books send us an e-mail.  Here are the full details that I have made in 2 different posts.

On 6/23/2023 at 2:31 PM, CGC Mike said:

Effective immediately, the membership account for Hotshotcomics / Asheville Comics / Douglas Cegelis (collectively, “Hotshotcomics”) has been terminated by CGC. If you have submitted comics to CGC through Hotshotcomics or if you have purchased presales of CGC-graded books from Hotshotcomics, and you believe those books are currently at CGC, please contact our Customer Service team at service@collectiblesgroup.com. You will be asked to fill out a claim form and provide purchase / submission documentation.

Since CGC was not a party to any transactions between individual collectors and Hotshotcomics, we cannot promise or guarantee any particular result. However, we will try to work with you (and with Hotshotcomics) to resolve your situation as best we can. CGC will not charge collectors for any books submitted or pre-purchased through Hotshotcomics if you can show that you are out-of-pocket. (We will not charge for shipping either.)

Please understand that we can only help to the extent the particular books are in our possession, i.e., actually submitted to CGC in the first place.

On 6/28/2023 at 8:16 PM, CGC Mike said:

At CGC, we recently became aware of an Instagram post by Hotshotcomics blaming CGC for the delays its customers have experienced. This post is inaccurate, and we feel compelled to set the record straight.

Any delay in customers of Hotshotcomics / Asheville Comics / Douglas Cegelis (collectively, “Hotshotcomics”) receiving their books is not due to CGC. CGC is not a party to business transactions between individual collectors and Hotshotcomics. We only have visibility into what books Hotshotcomics has submitted to us and whether and to what extent Hotshotcomics has paid CGC for its services.

As publicly admitted by Hotshotcomics, its CGC account has a significant unpaid balance and is now in collections. Ask yourself this:  If you paid Hotshotcomics up front for presales, then why would Hotshotcomics have trouble paying CGC in the first place?

CGC only recently learned that numerous collectors have paid Hotshotcomics for presales and received nothing in return. Hotshotcomics’ debt to CGC notwithstanding, please know that CGC is committed to trying to resolve the situation for Hotshotcomics’ innocent customers.

Also, please understand that we can only help to the extent the particular books are in our possession, i.e., actually submitted to CGC in the first place. Matching up your submissions to Hotshotcomics with Hotshotcomics’ submissions to us will be an undertaking, particularly since Hotshotcomics has not provided any information about the buyers / owners of these books.

While CGC did not create this problem, we are trying our best to help solve it. We thank you in advance for your continued patience.

On 7/5/2023 at 12:54 PM, CGC Mike said:

Just giving this thread a bump.  I was updated about a week ago, and at that point, we have received 85 e-mails and a few phone calls regarding this.  If you have had business dealings with HotShotComics and paid for a specific, guaranteed CGC grade and did not receive your books send us an e-mail.  Here are the full details that I have made in 2 different posts.

Big ups to you and your team for handling this, Mike. I can't even imagine how much time and work this will take.

On 7/5/2023 at 12:54 PM, CGC Mike said:

Ask yourself this:  If you paid Hotshotcomics up front for presales, then why would Hotshotcomics have trouble paying CGC in the first place?

Bingo.   This never should have happened unless they were doing other things with the money and hoping to make up for it before bills were due.

I dealt with them once, via eBay, and luckily all went well.  The very long delivery was because TATs were horrendous during early covid days, but I got my books and they even fulfilled a special request (re:variant) for me.

Things have certainly changed.

On 7/6/2023 at 11:59 PM, Point Five said:

ScreenShot2023-07-06at9_54_49AM.png.6c5c52de2a166f6dc637d3e1e8aef29c.png

That's going to get them a lot of views, videos of books from 2 years ago.