• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Jersey/New York residents; New Warning!
1 1

37 posts in this topic

On 7/8/2023 at 4:44 PM, Calidream'n said:

My sentiments exactly. I came with cash too and was ready to buy. He’s looking for someone with more money than brains. 

Plenty of those out there...., 

On 7/8/2023 at 5:57 PM, lizards2 said:
On 7/8/2023 at 5:44 PM, Calidream'n said:

My sentiments exactly. I came with cash too and was ready to buy. He’s looking for someone with more money than brains. 

Plenty of those out there...., 

I have neither  :cry: 

Thanks to Calidream'n for the warning.  Too many snakes out there

On 7/8/2023 at 5:39 PM, Calidream'n said:

Just dropping a message to anyone in my neck of the woods to avoid wasting time. This guy "Marshall" out of Newton, NJ has multiple ads on lots of Golden Age and Silver Age keys and semi keys. He refuses to let you fully inspect the books. The most you can do is look through the mylar bags. Took me ten minutes and multiple angles of light before I saw the three pieces of tape on the spine of his Captain America #10. He believes restoration is an "opinion", and says that buying the books without inspection is "the chance you take". What a snake! Beware of any ads on CL or FB Marketplace. Not sure where else he has posted. Wasted two hours for his BS. FB profile and ads say Marshall but his phone message said Michael. 

Are the Mylar bags scratched, filthy, cloudy or have other damage? Over the years I have looked at a few collections with Mylar bags that have had such damage but, thus far, the sellers have agreed to let me remove the comics books and magazines from them for a careful inspection. I hope to never run into a seller like the one you experienced but, unfortunately, likely will.

On 7/8/2023 at 2:39 PM, Calidream'n said:

He believes restoration is an "opinion", and says that buying the books without inspection is "the chance you take". 

Then why buy comics, just take your money to the track, probably have better odds!

EnlightenedAcceptableArcticfox-size_restricted.gif.ee14a8dbbc2a0c1c4619cf21b3d65096.gif

That kind of expensive comic book buying is for the dogs!

On 7/9/2023 at 8:06 PM, shadroch said:

It would depend on what he asked for the books. 

Well, for instance the one book he gave me a price on was a Captain America #10. He said it was midgrade and his price was $5,200. I was a buyer at that price. Just needed to inspect it. That's when I asked if I could take it out and he said absolutely not. I thought he was kidding. I studied it the best I could and finally saw the three pieces of tape on the spine. I told him and he was unphased. He knows what every book has had done to it. You just have to be the sucker he's looking for. I even said he could take it out and turn the pages for me. Still refused. He also had a GS X-Men #1 that looked pretty good. From the basis of front and back cover, I thought 5.5 low 6.5 high. He said no way it's a 5. I told him I never said 5, I said 5.5/6.5 but needed to see the whole book to know for sure. The weasel refused. 

Edited by Calidream'n

On 7/9/2023 at 11:44 AM, Buzzetta said:

Marshall "Donnelly" ?

I did not know they were into comics now, just art. 

Who knows what his real name is. His facebook profile is "Marshall Zerner", but when I couldn't find his apartment at first and called his cell, the message said "Michael". Gotta have your fake names if you're selling fake books!

Edited by Calidream'n

On 7/10/2023 at 10:22 AM, Calidream'n said:

Well, for instance the one book he gave me a price on was a Captain America #10. He said it was midgrade and his price was $5,200. I was a buyer at that price. Just needed to inspect it. That's when I asked if I could take it out and he said absolutely not. I thought he was kidding. I studied it the best I could and finally saw the three pieces of tape on the spine. I told him and he was unphased. He knows what every book has had done to it. You just have to be the sucker he's looking for. I even said he could take it out and turn the pages for me. Still refused. He also had a GS X-Men #1 that looked pretty good. From the basis of front and back cover, I thought 5.5 low 6.5 high. He said no way it's a 5. I told him I never said 5, I said 5.5/6.5 but needed to see the whole book to know for sure. The weasel refused. 

Why not ask him to take it out of the bag?

I have done that with skittish sellers before.  I've said, "It's your book.  Would you mind opening it up for inspection?"  Sometimes it has worked and sometimes I walk away. 

On 7/10/2023 at 10:32 AM, Buzzetta said:

Why not ask him to take it out of the bag?

I have done that with skittish sellers before.  I've said, "It's your book.  Would you mind opening it up for inspection?"  Sometimes it has worked and sometimes I walk away. 

I did. He said no. His reasoning was that the books are far too old and fragile to be handled. lol. I said what about the GS X-Men #1? That's not too old. Nope.

Edited by Calidream'n

On 7/10/2023 at 10:33 AM, Calidream'n said:

I did. He said no. His reasoning was that the books are far too old and fragile to be handled. lol. I said what about the GS X-Men #1? That's not too old. Nope.

lol Direct him to this thread.   Please oh please oh please.   He has to have an email contact. 

On 7/10/2023 at 10:39 AM, Buzzetta said:

lol Direct him to this thread.   Please oh please oh please.   He has to have an email contact. 

I'm pretty sure he is fully aware of these threads and the collecting community in general. That's why he sticks to FB Marketplace and such places. He won't come on here to get called out and bashed. He's a scammer who is running his game. He's knows he's a weasel; coming on here would only expose him more.