• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A sad fact about difference between DC and Marvel
1 1

38 posts in this topic

Actually have a good vision of the market because im just like to spend time on ebay to watch the comics.

And my report is that: actually if you try to collect a full run from 1990 to 2010 of ASM Only you will spend more money than to collect a full run of each member of the justice league reunited (batman, superman, ww, flash, gl, aquaman an MM)

Its just crazy!!!

we hear that it's the mcu that caused the increasement of Marvel books, in my opinion that just killed a lot of innocent fan who initiatilly just wanted to read some amazing stories to escape of the reality... 

Im personally started to collect comics just one years ago, and im lucky to have a preference for DC but we can't all love the same thing. And i really think if i would have been a Marvel Fan maybe i will already stopped this hobby realizing it was just too expensive, and unfortunately that probably happen to a lot of people...

What are you thinking about that?

Edited by BA773

I took spiderman for exemple because is the most crazy but its a global report about marvel, a lot of heroes are so expensive to read too! 

Sometimes it can be very difficult to write stories for a character(s) that are 90 years old (DC).  When it comes to DC, I typically read the elseworlds material.  I want a story that has a beginning, middle and end.

On 7/13/2023 at 3:41 PM, Cman429 said:

Since 1990 seems like a arbitrary time frame. Yes, Spidey comics from then on would be more than the DC titles but only because the key DC issues all came out in the 60s and 70s. 

You can choose any time period from when Marvel first introduced their characters to now and it would be way more costly to collect Marvel than DC

On 7/13/2023 at 1:20 PM, Bludriver said:

You can choose any time period from when Marvel first introduced their characters to now and it would be way more costly to collect Marvel than DC

Do you consider Timely's to be "Marvel"?  Many "Marvel" characters pre-date the introduction of Spiderman.

On 7/13/2023 at 4:26 PM, Yorick said:

Do you consider Timely's to be "Marvel"?  Many "Marvel" characters pre-date the introduction of Spiderman.

I meant Marvel from the early 60's

But since you brought it up, it costs more trying to get a non-key Timely superhero comic than a non key DC from the 1940's

On 7/13/2023 at 1:05 PM, BA773 said:

Actually have a good vision of the market because im just like to spend time on ebay to watch the comics.

And my report is that: actually if you try to collect a full run from 1990 to 2010 of ASM Only you will spend more money than to collect a full run of each member of the justice league reunited (batman, superman, ww, flash, gl, aquaman an MM)

Its just crazy!!!

we hear that it's the mcu that caused the increasement of Marvel books, in my opinion that just killed a lot of innocent fan who initiatilly just wanted to read some amazing stories to escape of the reality... 

Im personally started to collect comics just one years ago, and im lucky to have a preference for DC but we can't all love the same thing. And i really think if i would have been a Marvel Fan maybe i will already stopped this hobby realizing it was just too expensive, and unfortunately that probably happen to a lot of people...

What are you thinking about that?

so they can use Marvel’s digital platform for free for 7 days or $9.99 per month

determine what they enjoy and then buy any number of trades/collections

I doubt many casual “innocent” potential fans are looking to ebay to put together runs of floppies 

On 7/13/2023 at 10:45 PM, StillOnly25Cents said:

so they can use Marvel’s digital platform for free for 7 days or $9.99 per month

determine what they enjoy and then buy any number of trades/collections

I doubt many casual “innocent” potential fans are looking to ebay to put together runs of floppies 

Very sensible suggestion for triaging the material, figuring out what appeals the most to you personally.

There's no objective good or bad.

Far more opportunity and flexibility to investigate this now in the digital age with comparatively minor time, physical effort and financial expenditure compared to what used to be required.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 7/13/2023 at 4:49 PM, Ken Aldred said:

Far more opportunity and flexibility to investigate this now in the digital age with comparatively minor time, effort and financial expenditure compared to what used to be required.

indeed, I have a 40 Years of ASM 11 cd-rom collection with over 500 issues from 1963 -2023 that had a $39.99 price tag on the box … granted I have to find a pc with an optical drive to view these (not so easy in today’s digital age) but there are ways for people to discover these stories/art on the cheap …  being a “collector” is a whole different animal and you should not equate the two which is something I think the OP is doing

Edited by StillOnly25Cents

On 7/13/2023 at 3:20 PM, Bludriver said:

True, first 20 issues of silver age Flash came out a few years earlier than first 20 issues of Spider-Man.  The difference in cost in same grade is probably at least 5X.  

On 7/13/2023 at 11:01 PM, StillOnly25Cents said:

indeed, I have a 40 Years of ASM 11 cd-rom collection with over 500 issues from 1963 -2023 that had a $39.99 price tag on the box … granted I have to find a pc with an optical drive to view these (not so easy in today’s digital age) but there are ways for people to discover these stories/art on the cheap …  being a “collector” is a whole different animal and you should not equate the two which is something I think the OP is doing

It would be easy to find an external DVD drive / writer that can also read CD-ROM, with a USB connection.

On 7/13/2023 at 7:05 PM, BA773 said:

Simply not true. Readers aren’t enslaved to the fluctuating availability of original physical copies, to the demands of dealers or comic shops or book exchanges as I was as a kid. As a reader it’s easy to find alternative formats, no real need to get remotely irritated, let alone have your enthusiasm destroyed or ‘killed off’.  The reality is that readers have been liberated, have escaped those old school limitations. So, if anything, it’s becoming quite the opposite now.

On 7/14/2023 at 5:52 AM, Ken Aldred said:

Simply not true. Readers aren’t enslaved to the fluctuating availability of original physical copies, to the demands of dealers or comic shops or book exchanges as I was as a kid. As a reader it’s easy to find alternative formats, no real need to get remotely irritated, let alone have your enthusiasm destroyed or ‘killed off’.  The reality is that readers have been liberated, have escaped those old school limitations. So, if anything, it’s becoming quite the opposite now.

Yes but maybe there is some people who wants to have the books in their hands... we have all heard one time a guy told "i will never read these freakings digital copies"  and im easily understand theses kind of people.

And maybe i should not have speak about reading because the original point was the guy who just starts to collecting comic books

Edited by BA773

On 7/14/2023 at 6:42 AM, BA773 said:

Yes but maybe there is some people who wants to have the books in their hands... we have all heard one time a guy told "i will never read these freakings digital copies"  and im easily understand theses kind of people.

And maybe i should not have speak about reading because the original point was the guy who just starts to collecting comic books

The difference is that I’ve been involved with this for a very long time, and I recall the frustration associated with missing issues and story chapters which I wanted to read when they didn’t appear on the newsstand, something endemic to the 70s in the U.K. when I started out.  Then, you were either excluded or paid a ‘non-distributed’ premium to dealers or comic shops. There wasn’t really any other option. What I like about the digital age is that it makes that disempowerment a relic of the past, and gives you more unlimited freedom to choose without being in thrall to many who have interpreted a sincere love of the medium as being closer to an exploitable addiction.

I like the distance from all that, the tranquillity. I look forward to my next Humble Bundle.

As someone who recently put together a NM/NM+ Spidey run of just issues 193-400...yes, its damn expensive...even non keys cost $15-$20 in high grade.

I may try to put together issues 150 through 192 but not in super high grade.

I cant even imagine what it would cost to buy Spidey issues between 100 and 150.

On 7/14/2023 at 4:50 PM, Robot Man said:

I have tried digital reprints especially of obscure GA books I will never own. Yeah, they scratch the itch but cheat you on the experience.

As a kid, reading comics was special. It wasn’t just reading but the feel of the pages, the smell of the ink, the way the ink permeates the cheap newsprint, and turning the pages quickly to see what was going to happen. The glossy covers and the feel in your hand just doesn’t come across while scrolling through on an electronic device.

It’s all part of the “experience” and the nostalgia of it. 

Thanks so much for your words, that was the post i waited for, exactly what i think too.:golfclap: