• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Scanning All Books?
5 5

94 posts in this topic

On 7/17/2023 at 4:08 PM, dbcn said:

I just had another shipment go out today, and at least from the scans, you can see debris inside one of the cases

To follow up here - I received the shipment today, and the debris is not present - cover looks great. The other book in the shipment has no issues at all with the case.

There is, however, a small scuff/bit of debris on the back cover of the first book (casts a shadow on the back cover) - small but noticeable - I guess I send it back..? This would be the 6th book I've sent back for ME in the last month :frown: - it's getting kind of ridiculous.

Hmmm...Nice to now look at pics of your books.  Unfortunately, it seems according to the pics some of the labels have been switched on one of my magazine submissions that's been shipped.  
Like this book as an example. There are a few more where the labels have been switched.   I will have to return the books and get the correct labels put on.

PRY12VS.jpg

On 7/21/2023 at 10:29 AM, musicmeta said:

Unfortunately, it seems according to the pics some of the labels have been switched on one of my magazine submissions that's been shipped.  
Like this book as an example. There are a few more where the labels have been switched.   I will have to return the books and get the correct labels put on.

PRY12VS.jpg

So much for the "Quality Control" portion of the process :whistle:

On 7/21/2023 at 9:51 AM, TRMN8R5 said:

So much for the "Quality Control" portion of the process :whistle:

Yeah...You would think it would be kind of hard to get these particular labels wrong..Oh well...life goes on.  I'll call CGC as soon as the books arrive and confirm the wrong the labels. 

I've just had a second magazine submission shipped and this had all books scanned (maybe I got unlucky on my previous submission). I did note that these scans have a weird misty blotch on the book just below the CGC title, serial number and barcode (see below and @musicmeta 's scans)

Here are a couple of highlights from my submission...

CGC4278720-001_OBV.thumb.jpg.036286c6997efb404f96fa1044fdc197.jpg

CGC4278720-003_OBV.thumb.jpg.706746d1eba579df2be5c6f63f7ffcba.jpg

CGC4278720-005_OBV.thumb.jpg.3cf4a4df8cb3d008e5871c3dded4e22a.jpg

On 7/25/2023 at 5:35 AM, Every Day A Story said:

I did note that these scans have a weird misty blotch

Hopefully this is just glare? I had a book come back that was fine in person but the scan looked like it had debris in the slab.

Side question: is it normal to have the United Kingdom bit off center in the label…?

On 7/25/2023 at 8:20 AM, dbcn said:

Hopefully this is just glare? I had a book come back that was fine in person but the scan looked like it had debris in the slab.

Side question: is it normal to have the United Kingdom bit off center in the label…?

Based on the scans of the magazines shipped to me on Friday, July 21 (FedEx was scheduled to deliver them yesterday but is giving me the runaround; reportedly they will deliver them today) the notation of them, as with "United Kingdom", is off-center to the left when looking directly at the front covers.

On 7/15/2023 at 5:29 PM, Every Day A Story said:

Like everyone here, I think if CGC continues to insist on charging the $5 these images or increase prices post this change, especially as they are scanning them for their own purposes regardless, then it's a really cynical move. Also, who exactly gave CGC permission to scan our books and use them in this manner in the first place?

I believe we did when you click buttons on your computer when you submit to CGC for grading.

I really dont pay much attention so I am not 100% sure, but in the back of my head I seem remember when you submit to CGC isnt there a legal stance whereby you are agreeing to allow CGC to use in this case scans of your books for their own marketing if you submit to them?

I went back and saw my last 8 invoices had these scans available lol

Assuming the copyright on the photos is for insurance claims against them and to deny claims from me the submitter in case of shipping damage.  Now they at least have some before scans.  IMO this helps both parties determine where the fault lies.

On 7/26/2023 at 6:25 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

I believe we did when you click buttons on your computer when you submit to CGC for grading.

I really dont pay much attention so I am not 100% sure, but in the back of my head I seem remember when you submit to CGC isnt there a legal stance whereby you are agreeing to allow CGC to use in this case scans of your books for their own marketing if you submit to them?

I went back and saw my last 8 invoices had these scans available lol

Assuming the copyright on the photos is for insurance claims against them and to deny claims from me the submitter in case of shipping damage.  Now they at least have some before scans.  IMO this helps both parties determine where the fault lies.

This was I believe the case when I paid attention to it for mynss sketch at comic con, part of me thought it was con specific. lol

Which they did post the one I got to social, so it was confirmed there, but again, I'd say you're on the money with that thought though and I think it is correct. 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 7/28/2023 at 3:33 PM, Ryan. said:

There are no scans for my order shipped today.

I got the shipping notification Friday and there were no scans. I checked again this morning and the scans are now there. Looks like the scans aren't uploaded until the books are actually in the hands of FedEx. 

On 7/14/2023 at 1:00 PM, LordRahl said:

So the images are being copyrighted by CGC, that is the message that pops up when you try to save. I'm sure this isn't a straightforward yes/no answer with arguments to be made but I wonder if CGC can legally copyright something like this. Nothing in the picture belongs to CGC. The book and the case both belong to the submitter. The artwork in the picture belongs to the publisher. So... what exactly is CGC copyrighting?

Is this still the case?  I just save the pics for mine with no problem and didn't get a copyright message.

On 8/2/2023 at 7:08 AM, toro said:

Is this still the case?  I just save the pics for mine with no problem and didn't get a copyright message.

It would appear that you can indeed just save them now without having to jump through hoops. :banana::banana::banana:

On 8/3/2023 at 7:00 PM, smarkjobber said:

Great move! Even the most cynical among us can't grumble about this, surely...

image.jpeg.5e39573e9193b15cd851912fa66272c8.jpeg

On 8/4/2023 at 12:08 AM, Gaard said:

This decision gets a thumbs-up. (thumbsu

Not really sure why the option is still of the submission form?

imaging.jpg

Updates....once they happen. 

You would find something to complain about if CGC gave you the first CGC 11.0 on an AF 15. lol

Edited by NewWorldOrder