• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bob Kane Original Art Opinions/Help Wanted (ADVICE GIVEN, THANK YOU).
1 1

66 posts in this topic

On 7/18/2023 at 11:29 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Never mind…found an old thread about this book.  Apparently 500 “Bob Kane Batman” and 500 Bob Kane Joker” illos were done for the ultra-deluxe edition of this book.

maybe compare some of these to the Illo you purchased?

Did anyone sit and watch Bob draw all 1,000 images?

On 7/17/2023 at 2:01 PM, iancomics said:

I've seen many on here discuss the authenticity of Bob Kane pieces, with many discussing them being forged/faked. At Torpedo Con yesterday, I bought this Kane piece from a very credible dealer, who I trust significantly, but since I'm new to collecting I have anxiety over my first pickup. The first two images are of the piece I purchased, with the ones after that being similar examples seen on Heritage and the PSA website. Something interesting is that on the back of the paper the sketch is on, it says "Whitney Museum of American Art", which Bob Kane has had his art on display there previously, making me think that maybe he did it while there. Using the font the text was printed in, I can determine it's Arial font, putting the piece likely being made in the 80s. How does the piece look? Any immediate issues found? Authentic? Opinions appreciated.

IMG_3086.jpg

IMG_3093.jpg

kane heritage 1.jpeg

heritage 2.jpeg

heritage 3.jpeg

psa.webp

I see huge red flags with the piece you bought.  

The lines are unsteady, often a tell of a fake.  Look at the top of Batman's head, the hatching on his forehead, and Robin's browline. None of the long lines look like they were drawn in one singular motion.

Comparing it to the other examples, the framing/shading of Batman's cheek is unlike the others, using horizontal lines instead of a single vertical line.  There is similar shading on Batman's ears that isn't seen on the others.   

On 7/18/2023 at 10:20 AM, buttock said:

I see huge red flags with the piece you bought.  

The lines are unsteady, often a tell of a fake.  Look at the top of Batman's head, the hatching on his forehead, and Robin's browline. None of the long lines look like they were drawn in one singular motion.

Comparing it to the other examples, the framing/shading of Batman's cheek is unlike the others, using horizontal lines instead of a single vertical line.  There is similar shading on Batman's ears that isn't seen on the others.   

Just off google, I could find these, with my sketch being practically identical. I don't know what to do, the dealer doesn't do returns, and as of now I'm not sure on its authenticity.

9644B799-7A10-4A20-B6AC-E2B739683BC5.jpeg

E0A5DCB4-1F5E-446F-A771-EBF13FAFA085.jpeg

OP, I was at Torpedo Con on Sunday and there were basically only 3 major dealers of original art at the show: Anthony's, Panel Page, and Nostalgic Investments (I have no personal opinions regarding any of these dealers).  I was flipping through some portfolios next to a younger college age kid discussing golden age Batman artwork with one of the dealers, not sure if this was you.  I feel bad if you have mixed feelings about your first original art purchase as this should be a fun hobby.  Perhaps one of the more veteran collectors here (of which I don't consider myself) has a good relationship with whichever dealer it was and could give you some advice if you do decide to try and return / exchange the piece.

On 7/18/2023 at 12:51 PM, iancomics said:

Just off google, I could find these, with my sketch being practically identical. I don't know what to do, the dealer doesn't do returns, and as of now I'm not sure on its authenticity.

9644B799-7A10-4A20-B6AC-E2B739683BC5.jpeg

E0A5DCB4-1F5E-446F-A771-EBF13FAFA085.jpeg

Those do look similar, but my main concern was about the flustered linework.  

Also, Bob Kane was a terrible artist.  

On 7/17/2023 at 7:56 PM, BCarter27 said:

If this Whitney exhibit was supposedly before 2015, the Whitney wasn't even at that address-

https://whitney.org/about/history

This was my immediate thought before I scrolled down. Bob Kane died in 1998 -- why would the Whitney be stamping his art decades later? That makes no sense. Huge red flag.

On 7/19/2023 at 8:23 AM, iancomics said:

Hello, yes, that was certainly me. I was able to get in contact with one of the other dealers at the show who was able to forward my message to the dealer, and the situation will be sorted out.

Nothing like going through the school of hard knocks to learn a lesson well.  You can't say you're a real collector until you've been burned at least once!  Glad that this lesson won't end up costing you.

Remember, the best time to ask questions is before you buy something.  If you ask afterwards, there's at least a 33% chance that you won't like the answer. 

Edited by tth2

On 7/18/2023 at 5:23 PM, iancomics said:

Hello, yes, that was certainly me. I was able to get in contact with one of the other dealers at the show who was able to forward my message to the dealer, and the situation will be sorted out.

I'm glad this is going to work out for you.

On 7/19/2023 at 3:46 AM, tth2 said:

Remember, the best time to ask questions is before you buy something.  If you ask afterwards, there's at least a 33% chance that you won't like the answer. 

If you're looking to buy a 'Kane' Batman drawing, I doubt if there's much competition, if any!  lol

On the other hand, if you're asking about something likely to carry high interest . . . you may well have put the competition on alert, lol!  :tonofbricks:

On 7/19/2023 at 4:28 AM, The Voord said:

On the other hand, if you're asking about something likely to carry high interest . . . you may well have put the competition on alert, lol!

Yeah, I'd recommend the OP develop a network of other trusted collectors who he can bounce things off of. An original art "cabal", if you will...

On 7/19/2023 at 10:25 AM, BCarter27 said:

Yeah, I'd recommend the OP develop a network of other trusted collectors who he can bounce things off of. An original art "cabal", if you will...

I second this.  Unless you already have some friends in this hobby, it's super important (in my opinion) to develop a relationship with someone(s) who understands the hobby and to which you can go to for anything.  I didn't have anyone like that until this board and there's one individual in particular where we text back and forth all the time about all things OA related whether it's auction results, tracking pages, discussing deals, reminding each other of art drops, bringing pages to each other's attention, etc.  Very beneficial.  

On 7/19/2023 at 7:50 AM, Andahaion said:

I second this.  Unless you already have some friends in this hobby, it's super important (in my opinion) to develop a relationship with someone(s) who understands the hobby and to which you can go to for anything.  I didn't have anyone like that until this board and there's one individual in particular where we text back and forth all the time about all things OA related whether it's auction results, tracking pages, discussing deals, reminding each other of art drops, bringing pages to each other's attention, etc.  Very beneficial.  

I think that's where we come in right here. I love to try and help anyone. I know that collecting is competitive by nature. That doesn't mean we shouldn't look out for one another.

Find yourself an OA buddy. Or two. No one goes it alone!!! :bigsmile:

This auction is on eBay with 1 day to go. The provenance: comes from Marty Eck. Marty was a collector of Beatles and Monkees memorabilia. And other collectibles.  That's what you have to go on. Good luck.

IMG_3856.jpeg.ecea1001f23739336ea6345af39eeb04.jpeg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/225670390771?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=TN-uvJZ7Tle&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=huUHVhc0Tca&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Edited by grapeape

On 7/18/2023 at 10:46 PM, tth2 said:

Nothing like going through the school of hard knocks to learn a lesson well.  You can't say you're a real collector until you've been burned at least once!  Glad that this lesson won't end up costing you.

Let me add that it would be best if a new collector limited his purchases to art which basically sel-authenticated itself, like panel pages, or splashes which aren’t by name artists, like Kirby. Also, commissions should be bought directly from the artist (who will also appreciate it more).