• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2023 CGC Grading Contest Summer Edition (#7) Round 1
15 15

200 posts in this topic

On 7/24/2023 at 9:52 PM, Point Five said:

compare to other slabs

probably. I mostly end up doing this with the GA books b/c I don't collect/handle/see these in person at all. My only experience with the GA books is in this forum. Lots of the time I'm just trying to figure out what the covers are supposed to look like since it's my first time seeing them. I guess the exception this round is I was curious how much a low grade Hulk 5 was going for these days, saw the 1.5 & couldn't fathom spending $20 on it let alone the asking price

https://www.ebay.com/itm/256007209242 

• Administrator

I forgot to post the graders notes.

Popular Comics #66 (Larson pedigree)

Stain left top of whole book

Stain full bottom of whole book

Chip out right bottom of front cover

Stain full right of whole book

Archie Comics #39

Crease left bottom of front cover

Crease right bottom of front cover

Multiple crease right center of front cover

Thing #15

Piece out of right top front cover

Creasing to cover

Cover tanning

Incredible Hulk #5

Spine 85% split

Staple detached top of front cover

Staple detached bottom of cover

Creasing to cover

Tears to cover

Pieces out of cover

Marvel Spotlight #10

Thin crease bottom front cover breaks color

Wear all corners front cover

Spine stress lines

Incredible Hulk #5

Spine 85% split

Marvel Spotlight #10

One of the corners on the MS 10 looked good to me (only 3 worn - but should've stuck to my first guess and not rounded up to 8.5), and on the Hulk I underestimated how much was split (guessed 1.8).  Will take the 6 as ok, but will need some 3s and 4s to catch up.

Edited by grebal
got crushed by way overgrading the first one, that Popular had such nice edges. : ( +3

On 7/24/2023 at 6:18 PM, CGC Mike said:

I forgot to post the graders notes.

Popular Comics #66 (Larson pedigree)

Stain left top of whole book

Stain full bottom of whole book

Chip out right bottom of front cover

Stain full right of whole book

Archie Comics #39

Crease left bottom of front cover

Crease right bottom of front cover

Multiple crease right center of front cover

Thing #15

Piece out of right top front cover

Creasing to cover

Cover tanning

Incredible Hulk #5

Spine 85% split

Staple detached top of front cover

Staple detached bottom of cover

Creasing to cover

Tears to cover

Pieces out of cover

Marvel Spotlight #10

Thin crease bottom front cover breaks color

Spine stress lines

Do others think they were able to discern an 85% spine split on the Hulk?  See if you knew that your top grade would start at possibly 2.0 but more likely 1.8/1.5 max.  I went back and looked and I wasn't able to discern that.  What I'm getting at is certain major defects relegate a top grade and then you go down from there (or stay).  I'm happy with the contest and always enjoy it but up for discussion if you can't discern a significant defect from the scans should that not be divulged = level playing field for all so would be OK.  Obviously if there was a cutout interior pages or something Mike would divulge that...this seems similar to me in that regard. 2c

Popular Comics #66 - 3.0 Plus 3

Archie Comics #39 - 6.5 

Thing #15 - 4.0 Plus 2. Looks like I was with the majority that undergraded this.Plus 1 :smile:

Incredible Hulk #5 - 1.5 BULLSEYE (thumbsu

Marvel Spotlight #10 - 7.5 Plus 1 :smile:

So if my math is correct, that's a plus 7. I will take that!

Edited by Quake1028

On 7/24/2023 at 8:02 PM, ashsaytr said:

well at least im not the only one :shiftyeyes:

It does make it easier to be honest about what we put down, that I'm not a "wild and crazy guy!" Quick glances for me and a Method to the madness is a comfort. I used to think I could dial it in from there but lol I've been down that road as well.

There have been genuine. :whatthe: books I've tried to be more proficient on, but the gut just as reliable or I'd like it better that way.

Even in LCS's that's the example you get when they look a book over. I admire the pluck , I've tried this too, people who can go into spare a grade and describe their estimate and etc. Bit of promotion to that part of the forums! :cheers:

These are to me more fun when we get the grades back after 4 days, but the :fourleafclover:favor happens here too

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

My normal abysmal start

Popular Comics #66    5.0   is  4.5     1

Archie Comics #39    7.0    is  7.0     0  

Thing #15                 3.5    is  5.0       3  

Incredible Hulk #5   1.8    is  1.5      1

Marvel Spotlight #10   9.0  is  8.0     2 

7 points

• Administrator
On 7/24/2023 at 9:35 PM, trmoore54 said:

Do others think they were able to discern an 85% spine split on the Hulk?  See if you knew that your top grade would start at possibly 2.0 but more likely 1.8/1.5 max.  I went back and looked and I wasn't able to discern that.  What I'm getting at is certain major defects relegate a top grade and then you go down from there (or stay).  I'm happy with the contest and always enjoy it but up for discussion if you can't discern a significant defect from the scans should that not be divulged = level playing field for all so would be OK.  Obviously if there was a cutout interior pages or something Mike would divulge that...this seems similar to me in that regard. 2c

I looked at the book and didn't think it was necessary to post that note, as I figured the actual grade matched the book.  However, I will keep this in mind going forward.

On 7/24/2023 at 8:45 PM, Stefan_W said:

6 for me, not too bad but a couple of books that I changed my mind on just as I was submitting cost me a couple of extra points. Oh well, not completely out of it so onwards and upwards!

I agree! Moving to the next round, I always start off thankful for there being 5 books a round, as that is different than older contests.  ( I think) but it can move a score both ways pretty fast, towards the end and winners chosen even.

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 7/24/2023 at 9:02 PM, ashsaytr said:

well at least im not the only one :shiftyeyes:

Same here...

Popular Comics #66 - 6.0

Archie Comics #39 - 7.5

Thing #15 - 4.5

Incredible Hulk #5 - 2.5

Marvel Spotlight #10 - 9.2

... I believe it's 10 pts. for me.... 

On 7/24/2023 at 8:49 PM, Sandflea said:

Same here...

Popular Comics #66 - 6.0

Archie Comics #39 - 7.5

Thing #15 - 4.5

Incredible Hulk #5 - 2.5

Marvel Spotlight #10 - 9.2

... I believe it's 10 pts. for me.... 

That thing had typical bends and spine wear for 4.5, I was giving it the benefit of the doubt with that missing corner! Turns out it was the only one I "UNDERGRADED!". :roflmao:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

Popular Comics #66  5.0

Archie Comics #39  8.0

Thing #15  4.5

Incredible Hulk #5  1.8

Marvel Spotlight #10  8.0

I was close on every book and correct on the Marvel Spotlight 10.  5 points.  Typical start for me, better than a blind man in a dark room but not good enough to be a contender.  

On 7/24/2023 at 9:07 PM, thehumantorch said:

Popular Comics #66  5.0

Archie Comics #39  8.0

Thing #15  4.5

Incredible Hulk #5  1.8

Marvel Spotlight #10  8.0

I was close on every book and correct on the Marvel Spotlight 10.  5 points.  Typical start for me, better than a blind man in a dark room but not good enough to be a contender.  

Adrian!