• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2023 CGC Grading Contest Summer Edition (#7) Round 2
10 10

190 posts in this topic

On 7/28/2023 at 5:02 PM, CGC Mike said:

I should have added a graders note for the Spidey #38 and the HoS #92.  I missed the graders note for the spidey #38 "Stain bottom of interior through book", and I thought the "Small multiple water stains front cover "was more visible for the HoS #92.  I realize everyone was given the same scans, but if it's decided by you guys that the last 2 books affected your scores, I can add 2 different books to round 3 and redo book 4 and book 5 of the second round.   Otherwise, we will move on to round 3 and continue as we normally do.  I am sorry that this happened, and it won't again.  

I got crushed on Book #10 (HOS #92).  But everybody had access to the same data, so put me in the "move on to Round 3 and continue as we normally do" camp.  :preach:  No do-overs!  :sumo:

On 7/28/2023 at 5:16 PM, scburdet said:

Pretty accurate this time around except the HOS. That was the one I had the most questions about as my contemporaneous angry grader notes can attest

Slide1.PNG

Harvey Library had >1" spine split PLUS a staple removed. 

On 7/28/2023 at 9:18 PM, jcjames said:

PLUS a staple removed.

I had missed the staple note, but it doesn't really matter in this case. The CGC book says a removed staple only lowers to a 6.0. Splits are a big no-no unless they are teenie. In other words, the longer split here means the missing staple doesn't lower the grade further. Side note, I have a qualified 9.6 with no staples b/c it never had any.

I had my worst round ever with a 10. Ouch! I undergraded the first 3 books, and overgraded the last 2 books, which might have something to do with the graders' notes Michael shared. Oh well, I'm with zzutak, and think we should just move on to the next round, as everyone had the same scans / graders' notes...

On 7/28/2023 at 5:25 PM, scburdet said:

I had missed the staple note, but it doesn't really matter in this case. The CGC book says a removed staple only lowers to a 6.0. Splits are a big no-no unless they are teenie. In other words, the longer split here means the missing staple doesn't lower the grade further. Side note, I have a qualified 9.6 with no staples b/c it never had any.

OGG says missing staples aren't over 3.0 hm

I didn't know CGC published their grading criteria! :whatthe:

• More Fun #102 - 5.0 (6.5) 3
  • Harvey Library #1 - 4.5 (5.0) 1
  • TTA #11 - 6.5 (7.0) 1
  • Spidey #38 - 5.5 (6.0) 1
  • HoS #92 - 7.5 (5.5) 4

10 points

I will say I didn’t see the water spots on HoS 92. Would have lowered my grade for sure. 

4 points on that book is a tough pill to swallow when the defect is not visible.

I’d vote to throw out that book for everyone and move to round three otherwise replace it with another book.

Edited by ChrispyC66

WOW.  Thought I had a 7 Round 1 but was an 8 because I forgot about the 1.8 grade.  9 this round even worse :tonofbricks: So much vacillating...was solid 6.0 on the fun...maybe 6.5...then went the other way with 5.5. doh! HARV was very nice overall...but that dam spine/pages split...5.0 or 4.5...picked 4.5. (shrug) TTA don't think I could ever get to 7.0...my grade 6.0. :insane: ASM another vascillation...6.0/6.5?? picked 6.5. (: HOS off 1.5 at 7.0...gonna have to go back and study that book...thought CGC would be more lenient with that dark cover/notoriously hard book in HG.  

On to Round 3...but hey it's Friday :headbang: