• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best places for comics in NYC
3 3

58 posts in this topic

I'll be in town for a few days next week and was wondering if there were any spots I should specifically check out. Anyone have any recommendations? I am especially interested in back issues, and the older the better but I am realistic. I like a place with boxes I can look through. Thanks!

On 7/18/2023 at 9:40 AM, Point Five said:

The last address I see for Roger is 104 Washington Place, and checking on Google there appears to be a barber shop there now. :( 

I really can't think of any great back issue shops... high Manhattan rents make that a tough business model. There weren't many left in recent years and unfortunately covid likely snuffed out the last few. The only one that might still qualify is Metropolis, but I believe they're by appointment only if you reserve books to pick them up, or at least that's how it used to work. There's maybe a few left way out in Queens or Brooklyn where rents are lower, but (IMO) not the best use of your limited time to hike way out there to find them.

With all that said, if you're in the midtown/Times Square area anyway, I'd recommend either of the two locations of Midtown Comics -- tons of TPBs and new issues, the occasional back issue, and just generally a fun browse, with friendly staff.

I'll be in Brooklyn and Manhattan mostly...there was one in Brooklyn I thought was decent but I don't remember the name of it...

On 7/18/2023 at 9:40 AM, Point Five said:

The last address I see for Roger is 104 Washington Place, and checking on Google there appears to be a barber shop there now. :( 

I really can't think of any great back issue shops... high Manhattan rents make that a tough business model. There weren't many left in recent years and unfortunately covid likely snuffed out the last few. The only one that might still qualify is Metropolis, but I believe they're by appointment only if you reserve books to pick them up, or at least that's how it used to work. There's maybe a few left way out in Queens or Brooklyn where rents are lower, but (IMO) not the best use of your limited time to hike way out there to find them.

With all that said, if you're in the midtown/Times Square area anyway, I'd recommend either of the two locations of Midtown Comics -- tons of TPBs and new issues, the occasional back issue, and just generally a fun browse, with friendly staff.

Yep I made the mistake of going to that address for Roger's, only to see a barber shop. Total waste of time and a letdown. Midtown Comics is a solid comic shop but don't expect any back issues older than bronze age. 

NYC just isn't conducive to a business model based on high end comic books

Is that comic shop down on St. Mark's Place still around? (I haven't lived there for 15 years) - that was a pretty cool place to box dive.

On 7/19/2023 at 12:39 PM, Dr. Balls said:

Is that comic shop down on St. Mark's Place still around? (I haven't lived there for 15 years) - that was a pretty cool place to box dive.

Sadly, long gone. St. Marks is still a fun destination for food and youth culture/hipster clothing/etc, but comics and CDs are no more.

The best and remaining "comic shop vibe" left in Manhattan at least is JHU Comics, formerly Jim Hanley's Universe- while I'm glad Forbidden Planet and Midtown apparently thrive, you're not going to find back issues and such there. At least there's a degree of that at JHU. I miss the days of when it was across from the Empire State Building and you'd find Golden Age Larry there. I dropped in a few months ago and guys were at the desk talking about Bill Mantlo's HULK run which warmed my heart considerably. The guy who owned St Marks Comics still does conventions; I see him set up at Big Apple every year.

http://jhucomicbooks.com/

On 7/19/2023 at 1:04 PM, Point Five said:

Sadly, long gone. St. Marks is still a fun destination for food and youth culture/hipster clothing/etc, but comics and CDs are no more.

Miss those days :( God, 2000s NYC was the best.

On 7/19/2023 at 10:19 AM, lordbyroncomics said:

The best and remaining "comic shop vibe" left in Manhattan at least is JHU Comics, formerly Jim Hanley's Universe- while I'm glad Forbidden Planet and Midtown apparently thrive, you're not going to find back issues and such there. At least there's a degree of that at JHU. I miss the days of when it was across from the Empire State Building and you'd find Golden Age Larry there. I dropped in a few months ago and guys were at the desk talking about Bill Mantlo's HULK run which warmed my heart considerably. The guy who owned St Marks Comics still does conventions; I see him set up at Big Apple every year.

http://jhucomicbooks.com/

When I visited New York five years ago I was on my way to the Strand Book Store when I stumbled across Forbidden Planet. No back issues but they did have some great discounts at the time on trade paperbacks. (thumbsu

Unfortunately, the northern NJ and NYC, etc., newsstands and comic book stores of my childhood and young adult days are long gone. The "almost corner store" where I purchased literal tons of new Silver and Bronze and back issue Gold Ages comic books and magazines closed very long ago. When I'm in the area visiting family if one of my cousins and I pass by the former locale of one of the vanished places we always mention "so and so was located there." :frown:

On 7/20/2023 at 10:29 AM, Robot Man said:

Is Silver Age Comics in Queens still around? Gus, the owner is a great guy and sold me a lot of GA when I was in town. He was also at SDCC and Torpedo up until a few years ago. 

I haven't been there in ages... it's a schlep!... but yes, looks like his Queens/Astoria location is still open.  (thumbsu

Every time I go to Manhattan, I go to Midtown Comics.  And every time, I leave disappointed.  Maybe some of that has to do with how shady they were with some exclusive variant sales.  Whatever the case, I haven't spent a dime with them in years.  They do have a warehouse sale every so often that I've considered checking out since I get the impression that's where the majority of their back issues are stored, but I've never taken the time to venture out there.