• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It's that time. New Overstreet 53rd Ed. out tomorrow. I still love the book.
3 3

161 posts in this topic

On 7/20/2023 at 2:37 PM, Sarg said:

Only one comic strip reprint (Famous Funnies), only two funny animals, Chamber of Chills #19, and no ECs. Funny how things change over time...

Yep, the comic strip reprint books have really dropped right off Overstreet's Top 100 listing, especially considering that there were four of them in Overstreet's Top 9 (albeit there were 10 books tied in the 9th position) in his first guide back in 1970.  :(

Looks like long forgotten King Comics #1 was the top dog in the strip reprint genre back then as it came in at the #4 position tied with Batman 1.  :whatthe:

Rather ironic that the only strip reprint to remain in Overstreet's Top 100 now, namely Famous Funnies Series 1 #1, was nowhere to be seen in Overstrret's top listings back then in his first guide.  The two that were in there tied in 9th position were Funnies on Parade and Famous Funnies 1, both of which I would personally prefer over the Series 1 since it's only real claim to fame is its supposed rarity.  hm

Especially when I see Funnies on Parade acknowledged as the first Modern version of the comic book to be produced and Famous Funnies 1 to be the first monthly newsstand comic book to be produced, while Series 1 is really more of a been there, done that already, and for relative comparison purposes then, don't really need it.  (shrug)

As for rarity, Funnies on Parade in and of itself is relatively rare, especially considering that the last copy to be sold at Heritage was all the way back in 2014 and the last one at CC was a copy that sold for 5X condition guide in 2019.  For all intents and purposes, relatively rare with only a total of 14 Universal copies graded to date, with the last one to be graded and slabbed back in 2017.  :luhv:

On 7/24/2023 at 3:31 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:
On 7/24/2023 at 2:56 PM, Cat-Man_America said:

Yes, it's very business-like and polite, but it lacks the warmth of a neutral albeit sympathetic and helpful response. My two sense. 

My thoughts exactly. A once warm relationship has now been reduced to this, even if it was the CSR’s first day

hey @Ricksneatstuff

wha hoppened?

A different Rick, but...

Overstreet is now pursuing their own digital release of content along the lines of G0-Collect and other collector's software. They just are not very good at publicizing this fact.

On 8/3/2023 at 11:40 AM, MrBedrock said:

A true rarity. I think there are only 400 or so Advisors listed in this year's Overstreet.

:roflmao:

“I don’t want to me a member of any club that will accept me”

Groucho Marx

Is our buddy, “Dylan” still a member? 

On 8/3/2023 at 4:30 PM, Robot Man said:

:roflmao:

“I don’t want to me a member of any club that will accept me”

Groucho Marx

Is our buddy, “Dylan” still a member? 

I'm pretty sure every person who posts regularly on the boards is some sort of an advisor.

On 8/3/2023 at 11:58 PM, Cat-Man_America said:

But you have to invest at least $1000 ...to be a grand vizier. :wink:

The books I cut up as a kid to finish this would be considered a grand vizier :makepoint: and I completed it :cheers:

image.thumb.jpeg.d77f4af277113a48b73847ae52dd3ee4.jpeg

On 8/3/2023 at 11:23 AM, lou_fine said:

...Rather ironic that the only strip reprint to remain in Overstreet's Top 100 now, namely Famous Funnies Series 1 #1, was nowhere to be seen in Overstrret's top listings back then in his first guide.  The two that were in there tied in 9th position were Funnies on Parade and Famous Funnies 1, both of which I would personally prefer over the Series 1 since it's only real claim to fame is its supposed rarity.  hm

Especially when I see Funnies on Parade acknowledged as the first Modern version of the comic book to be produced and Famous Funnies 1 to be the first monthly newsstand comic book to be produced, while Series 1 is really more of a been there, done that already, and for relative comparison purposes then, don't really need it.  (shrug)

As for rarity, Funnies on Parade in and of itself is relatively rare, especially considering that the last copy to be sold at Heritage was all the way back in 2014 and the last one at CC was a copy that sold for 5X condition guide in 2019.  For all intents and purposes, relatively rare with only a total of 14 Universal copies graded to date, with the last one to be graded and slabbed back in 2017.  :luhv:

I've never understood the un-love for Funnies on Parade. It's the first comic book, what more does it need to do to get people interested? As you said, it's pretty darn hard to come by and almost never surfaces for sale. The one copy I ever had for sale (way back in the prehistoric 90s), got lots of oohs and aahs, but took forever to find a buyer - even though it was unrestored and priced below $1,000.

It looks like Overstreet has stopped even trying to give it an obligatory $100 yearly bump or anything, as the VF price in the guide last year is the same as it was a decade ago.

On 8/3/2023 at 10:23 AM, lou_fine said:

Yep, the comic strip reprint books have really dropped right off Overstreet's Top 100 listing, especially considering that there were four of them in Overstreet's Top 9 (albeit there were 10 books tied in the 9th position) in his first guide back in 1970.  :(

Looks like long forgotten King Comics #1 was the top dog in the strip reprint genre back then as it came in at the #4 position tied with Batman 1.  :whatthe:

Rather ironic that the only strip reprint to remain in Overstreet's Top 100 now, namely Famous Funnies Series 1 #1, was nowhere to be seen in Overstrret's top listings back then in his first guide.  The two that were in there tied in 9th position were Funnies on Parade and Famous Funnies 1, both of which I would personally prefer over the Series 1 since it's only real claim to fame is its supposed rarity.  hm

Isn't FF Series 1 the first to actually to be put on sale, though? That was a huge risk for 1934 and, it could be argued, the most important breakthrough rather than the size.

On 7/24/2023 at 7:53 AM, Robot Man said:

I have my family set up to liquidate my collection easily after I am gone.

I just don’t think I would ever be able to do it. I have spent my whole life on the hunt and pursuit. So many wonderful memories. Luckily, I don’t need the money. I sell off a little here and there once in a while for helping my family as I have always done and now for other great “experiences”. My collection of comics and other “stuff” still brings we a lot of joy.

One thing I have told them, that if someone shows up with a guide and a stupid sob story, to throw them out…

"if someone shows up with a guide and a stupid story, to throw them out ..."  

How very true.!!  I have told my family the same thing.  For Golden Age, the prices listed in Overstreet are just unrealistically low.  My suspect that dealers use the guide to show uninformed sellers looking to sell with the pretense that they are "willing to offer a great price of 70-100% guide.

In the 52nd edition of the Overstreet Guide, page 172, John Verzyl II said "A part of the reason that there are so many Guide nay-sayers is because they do not understand it.  Most people think that this magic book is supposed to tell you the current value of a specific issue, but it is supposed to tell you the LOWEST possible value of said issue".  

Huh??  Does Verzyl mean the dealer buy price?  Anyway, at the 2022 San Diego Comic Con, I attended an Overstreet Access Presentation.  During Q&A, I asked JC Vaughn about Verzyl's comments in the Guide.  JC was adamant that the statement was incorrect.  That the Overstreet Prices are accurate and do not reflect the lowest possible value.  I find this to be an odd statement.  If you look at page 172 of the newest Guide (#53), there is a list of Key Sales from 2022-2023 for Golden Age Sales.  Almost everyone of these 44 books sold for well above 2023 Guide.   The 44 books sold include many books which I do not view as Key comics such as Superman #4 and #7 as well as Action Comics #33.  Those sold for 5.3x, 1.95x and 1.94 of Guide respectively.  How can a Guide claim to be accurate when its own data  shows that it is not?  There was no way that I would sign up for Overstreet Access.  Why would I want a service that summarizes information which under values my books?  Especially, if I decide to insure the books or use the values for Estate Planning???

On 8/5/2023 at 7:11 AM, TheLexLuthorCollection said:

"if someone shows up with a guide and a stupid story, to throw them out ..."  

How very true.!!  I have told my family the same thing.  For Golden Age, the prices listed in Overstreet are just unrealistically low.  My suspect that dealers use the guide to show uninformed sellers looking to sell with the pretense that they are "willing to offer a great price of 70-100% guide.

In the 52nd edition of the Overstreet Guide, page 172, John Verzyl II said "A part of the reason that there are so many Guide nay-sayers is because they do not understand it.  Most people think that this magic book is supposed to tell you the current value of a specific issue, but it is supposed to tell you the LOWEST possible value of said issue".  

Huh??  Does Verzyl mean the dealer buy price?  Anyway, at the 2022 San Diego Comic Con, I attended an Overstreet Access Presentation.  During Q&A, I asked JC Vaughn about Verzyl's comments in the Guide.  JC was adamant that the statement was incorrect.  That the Overstreet Prices are accurate and do not reflect the lowest possible value.  I find this to be an odd statement.  If you look at page 172 of the newest Guide (#53), there is a list of Key Sales from 2022-2023 for Golden Age Sales.  Almost everyone of these 44 books sold for well above 2023 Guide.   The 44 books sold include many books which I do not view as Key comics such as Superman #4 and #7 as well as Action Comics #33.  Those sold for 5.3x, 1.95x and 1.94 of Guide respectively.  How can a Guide claim to be accurate when its own data  shows that it is not?  There was no way that I would sign up for Overstreet Access.  Why would I want a service that summarizes information which under values my books?  Especially, if I decide to insure the books or use the values for Estate Planning???

The problem really is the extreme volatile nature of the market these days. Especially on hard to find GA material. Especially in the past few years.

I am an extremely advanced GA collector for over 50 years. Since before there was even a printed guide. I have seen prices go up and up since I started. I NEVER thought comics would come to the level they are now. I never bought anything with this as a goal. I bought what I liked not just at what was “hot”. As a matter of fact, I seeked out stuff that wasn’t. Example, when I started, I loved Schomburg Timelys. I quickly realized they were out of my range so I discovered other books like Nedor, Harvey and other publishers with his work. I bought everything I could find at prices that were way more affordable and completed runs of those. Very few people were aware of them. Now, many of those are even out of range.

The problem to me now is just how to obtain current pricing especially on a lot of scarcer books that rarely change hands. Often, books like these rarely turn up on eBay, GPA or big auction houses. The “guide” is only a starting point as to how many times guide a book might be actually worth.

I realized long ago, that something is only worth how much an individual or individuals are willing to pay for it. This is how I buy at this point. If it is over what it is worth to me, I usually pass and move on to something else. Even if I think I am over paying in a short time it will become a bargain as long as I hang on to it for a while. All of those obscure books I bought many years ago and hung on to are now worth prices I never could have imagined. 

Edited by Robot Man

On 8/4/2023 at 1:47 PM, Crowzilla said:

I've never understood the un-love for Funnies on Parade. It's the first comic book, what more does it need to do to get people interested? As you said, it's pretty darn hard to come by and almost never surfaces for sale. The one copy I ever had for sale (way back in the prehistoric 90s), got lots of oohs and aahs, but took forever to find a buyer - even though it was unrestored and priced below $1,000.

It looks like Overstreet has stopped even trying to give it an obligatory $100 yearly bump or anything, as the VF price in the guide last year is the same as it was a decade ago.

I take it for $900

image.jpeg

On 8/5/2023 at 12:10 PM, woowoo said:

I take it for $900

image.jpeg

Oh sure, now you show up lol

That bottom pic was from the first time I had ever set up at San Diego - I was 23 and wanted to make a good impression with all the West Coast collectors. Hope it worked.

On 8/5/2023 at 12:27 PM, Robot Man said:

I remember that guy. I forget his name at this point.

Guess it didn't... :(

On 8/4/2023 at 1:47 PM, Crowzilla said:

Totally agree with your POV on Funnies on Parade here, although I believe a certain boardie might disagree since there's Obadiah Oldbuck. lol

I remember the only time seeing a copy in real life was in my first SD Con at the start of the 90's when a collector walked in with a small stack of books which had the Funnies on Parade in there along with a bunch of the pre-Robin 'Tec books, but the only book that all the dealers were jumping up and down about was the nice copy of Detective Comics 1 on top of the pile.  :cloud9:

Well, you definitely wouldn't have any problems now finding a buyer above $1K as the last one that sold was back in 2019 at CC for $12,900:  :luhv:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/845124

fun2.12a.jpg

Not sure if it's due to the lack of sales for this book, but that auction result worked out to almost 5X condition guide back then and still a shade over 4X this years condition guide value.  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

On 8/5/2023 at 9:10 AM, woowoo said:

I take it for $900

image.jpeg

Oh..............don't we yearn for the days of yore when we had a full set of red hair and we could pick up those beauties for what was probably back then perceived to be "crazy" prices. :takeit:

Seriously though, absolutely loved your Sleepers column in the early issues of the Gary Carter edited CBM magazine before it all went to carp.  :applause:

Edited by lou_fine

On 8/5/2023 at 9:27 AM, Robot Man said:

I remember that guy. I forget his name at this point. I could only dream of that wall then and sadly that’s about all I can still do. That More Fun 52 and Cap 1…:x

Thats our very own @Crowzillathat posted that he had a hard time selling his for $1000 above.