• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It's that time. New Overstreet 53rd Ed. out tomorrow. I still love the book.
3 3

161 posts in this topic

On 7/23/2023 at 4:05 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Now that you mention it, I can no longer find sources for downloadable copies anywhere(I stopped downloading them 2 years ago with the 51st Edition). Accordingly, I have just now sent an inquiry to Heritage 

@MusterMark@pmpknface

well I got my answer back from Heritage, and no joy there. I wonder if there was tiff between these guys.

I guess let me ask OPG themselves if they offer a downloadable format

IMG_6701.jpeg

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

On 7/24/2023 at 8:31 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Yes, probably best to ask right at the source, namely Gemstone Publishing, since they are the home of the various Overstreet Guides.  (thumbsu

Wonder why New Adventure Comics issues 25 and 28 are not included as "rare" as are issues 26 and 27 in the guide.  Issues 25 and 28 are bundled as 23-25 and 28-31.  The other issues are not as hard to find.  On the census 30 has 18 copies and 31 has 17 copies.   

CGC Census:                                                          Total

Issue 25: Unrestored: 7  Qualified 1  Restored 3       11

Issue 26:                    7                  0                  1        8

Issue 27                   10                  2                   1      13

Issue 28                    6                   0                   2       8

On 7/24/2023 at 10:31 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

@MusterMark@pmpknface

well I got my answer back from Heritage, and no joy there. I wonder if there was tiff between these guys.

IMG_6701.jpeg

That's a pretty curt message. It's almost like they don't want to recognize OPG. There's a missing line like "You might try your LCS" or some such.  Curiouser and curiouser. hm

On 7/24/2023 at 3:26 PM, Cat-Man_America said:

That's a pretty curt message. It's almost like they don't want to recognize OPG. There's a missing line like "You might try your LCS" or some such.  Curiouser and curiouser. hm

or more likely the person tasked with replying doesn't share the breadth of history loaded into the question.  It's a perfectly acceptable reply ending with the perfectly acceptable: "We apologize for the inconvenience (of our or their divergence on ongoing business interests)...."   My guess is that orders of the pdf Guide didnt move the needle much and neither side was still interested in the costs involved.

On 7/24/2023 at 2:52 PM, Aman619 said:

or more likely the person tasked with replying doesn't share the breadth of history loaded into the question.  It's a perfectly acceptable reply ending with the perfectly acceptable: "We apologize for the inconvenience (of our or their divergence on ongoing business interests)...."   My guess is that orders of the pdf Guide didnt move the needle much and neither side was still interested in the costs involved.

Yes, it's very business-like and polite, but it lacks the warmth of a neutral albeit sympathetic and helpful response. My two sense. 

On 7/24/2023 at 2:56 PM, Cat-Man_America said:

Yes, it's very business-like and polite, but it lacks the warmth of a neutral albeit sympathetic and helpful response. My two sense. 

My thoughts exactly. A once warm relationship has now been reduced to this, even if it was the CSR’s first day

hey @Ricksneatstuff

wha hoppened?

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

On 7/25/2023 at 3:57 AM, Point Five said:
On 7/25/2023 at 3:54 AM, thehumantorch said:

My wife is planning to liquidate me and then my collection.  :cry: 

I feel like I've read that story in an EC and uh, don't worry, it definitely ends well.  :shiftyeyes:

Being EC, the emphasis is likely to be on the "liquid" part.

Buy POLYCOOL 2L 2200W Commercial Blender Smoothie Food Processor Mixer  Juicer BPA-Free Jug, Red Online | Kogan.com. .

On 7/24/2023 at 12:26 PM, Cat-Man_America said:

That's a pretty curt message. It's almost like they don't want to recognize OPG.

And yet they continue to list the Overstreet Price Guide valuation within both the Auction Listing Description and also as a segregated Price Guide Report for every single one of their auction lots.  (thumbsu 

From the CSR response here, I believe it's really more the messenger this time, than the message itself.  (shrug)

On 7/24/2023 at 12:17 PM, ttecwaf said:

Wonder why New Adventure Comics issues 25 and 28 are not included as "rare" as are issues 26 and 27 in the guide.  Issues 25 and 28 are bundled as 23-25 and 28-31.  The other issues are not as hard to find.  On the census 30 has 18 copies and 31 has 17 copies.

From my own personal POV, I believe that Overstreet has completely missed the boat on them or is just absolutely tone deaf when it comes to these later pre-hero New Adventure/Adventure and More Fun issues.  hm

It is pretty clear to me that more of these issues needs to be broken out as certain ones of them clearly goes for more than others.  I have waited years (okay decades) for him to do a nore detailed breakkdown for them, yet it always seems to be the same old, same old larger groupings of 5 or 10 books in a shot with their customary single digit percentage increase every single year.  To the point where the Guide seems to be totally out of whack on some of these issues, and some of them often selling for double digit multiples to condition guide value.  Heck, we even saw some raw restored lower graded copies selling last year for more than what the top of guide valuations for these issues are in this years edition of the guide.  Clearly, Overstreet is living in a completely different galaxy from the real world when it comes to some of these pre-hero DC books.  :facepalm:

Not sure why it always seem to take Overstreet so darn long to break out some of these books, but from a collector's POV, always nice to get books like More Fun 56, Archie 50, Seven Seas 4, and the likes before they do eventually get broken out in the Guide.  He FINALLY got around to breaking out the Frazetta Famous Funnies issues into two groups last year (although it really should have been three), but still hasn't yet got around to breaking out the Junior issues where there are clearly also a couple in that short run that's shall we say splittingly apart from the others in the run.  :taptaptap: 

Edited by lou_fine

On 7/24/2023 at 3:31 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

My thoughts exactly. A once warm relationship has now been reduced to this, even if it was the CSR’s first day

hey @Ricksneatstuff

wha hoppened?

There is no acrimony between Heritage and Overstreet (thumbsu All is well, and we continue to publish Overstreet prices in our catalogs and item pages, as well as on our Title and Issue home pages.

I believe any changes with the PDF version are likely more related to the introduction of https://www.overstreetaccess.com/ and I would refer any inquiries to them.