• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It's that time. New Overstreet 53rd Ed. out tomorrow. I still love the book.
3 3

161 posts in this topic

On 7/23/2023 at 7:26 AM, Dr. Balls said:

I think we did alright given the book continued to go up after we bought it. Ultimately, I think it went up far enough that while it's coming down, I managed to retain some of that increased value to what I bought the book for. I am late to the PCH game, so I don't have any stories to share about landing primo books before the massive price increases - other than around 2013 I bought a Black Cat #50 for $250 that had a split cover, which I re-attached with tape. doh! And then I sold it. doh!doh!

Sadly, we all have limited budgets on what we can spend, especially when it comes to our hobbies.  :(

As such, I never got into PCH as that was just sort of out there when I was into my major collecting phase.  To the point that I turned down the offer for the Church copy of Mask 1 for something like under $3K as added incentive if I attended the Diamond Galleries grand opening back in the day.  Didn't care for the book at the time and also past my budget for a single book, but when I saw it on lighted display through display case in the library with all of its bright colors, I knew I had made a mistake, but by then it had already been offered to another collector.  doh!  doh!

So, although I don't think I have any real PCH in my personal collection, at least I still get to enjoy them nowdays through what other boardies post on these boards right here.  (thumbsu

Yep, kind of funny how popularity changes for the vaarious genres in our comic book hobby here.  My brothers have 2 big orange boxes of well read Westerns and sadly, no current calue in there at all except possibly as kindling for starting a campfire.  They asked me if I wanted them since they are in the proicess of moving, but I already have enough grabage, so I imagine it's all going to go into the recycle bin once they reread them one more time.  Either that or wait until Hell freezes over for Westerns to get popular again.  :taptaptap:  :bigsmile:

Edited by lou_fine

On 7/23/2023 at 10:26 AM, Dr. Balls said:

I think we did alright given the book continued to go up after we bought it. Ultimately, I think it went up far enough that while it's coming down, I managed to retain some of that increased value to what I bought the book for. I am late to the PCH game, so I don't have any stories to share about landing primo books before the massive price increases - other than around 2013 I bought a Black Cat #50 for $250 that had a split cover, which I re-attached with tape. doh! And then I sold it. doh!doh!

As another thought to the older gents who collect GA and think the interest in that genre of the hobby is waning: I'm 50 years old, and my collecting focus keeps moving backward, as my appreciation for art continues to move to the older works. I've collected all genres, but as I get older, my desire to go after hard-to-find older books gets stronger - and that always ends up to be in the Golden Age. I think a lot of collectors who have a lifetime in the hobby want to chase things that are harder than the previous genre they liked. I'm enjoying the idea of hunting around for old Zip, Mystic, Marvel Tales and whatnot - and I think a lot of other people my age are doing the same, driving those prices up.

Believe me, I read you guys talking about picking up books from 20-30 years ago for hundreds of dollars that are now worth thousands, and it's really amazing to hear those stories. Because those days are gone, replaced by ones with bigger dollar signs. But, that's just how things move forward.

I believe this era of the hobby will always be strong, especially now. In the age of digital art, AI and ultra-polished realistic artwork, the craftsmanship of the Golden Age really stands out as something unique and of a time when things were very different in the world. New artwork just doesn't have the same feel - I love all eras of comic art, but GA is an incredible era to behold.

I’ve loved comics for as long as I can remember. Combined with 1000s of paperbacks, they framed the person I am now. The ‘75 Overstreet guide was my 8 year old bible. The fact that my beloved funny books could be sold for more than I paid for them certainly enhanced the quest. Bought it every year and read it cover to cover many times during the year. Yes even the Four Color listings. With the advent of eBay and the auction houses I realized that I wasn’t really getting any useful info from Overstreet’s pricing and the market reports, while fun to read, were mostly dealers talking their books so I stopped buying. 

Edited by ThothAmon

On 7/23/2023 at 9:51 AM, ThothAmon said:

and the market reports, while fun to read, were mostly dealers talking their books so I stopped buying. 

Yep, clearly one of the first things that I used to read over and over again when I first started with the Overstreet's in the late 70's and early 80's. :luhv:

Clearly NOT so much nowadays as they are one of the last things I read as I simply try to trudge my way through them before the next edition comes out.  Definitely fun back in the day, but then the Gary Carter edited early CBM mag's came out and now, I can find out so much more current infor from these very boards right here. (thumbsu

Doesn't stop me from still buying the updated Guide every year though and surprised that the owner of the LCS came down to give me the Friends & Family 20% discount even though the last time I was in his store was last year.  :)

On 7/23/2023 at 10:26 AM, Dr. Balls said:

As another thought to the older gents who collect GA and think the interest in that genre of the hobby is waning: I'm 50 years old, and my collecting focus keeps moving backward, as my appreciation for art continues to move to the older works. I've collected all genres, but as I get older, my desire to go after hard-to-find older books gets stronger - and that always ends up to be in the Golden Age. I think a lot of collectors who have a lifetime in the hobby want to chase things that are harder than the previous genre they liked. I'm enjoying the idea of hunting around for old Zip, Mystic, Marvel Tales and whatnot - and I think a lot of other people my age are doing the same, driving those prices up.

A few years older than you, but the same description applies.

-bc

On 7/23/2023 at 1:01 PM, vaultkeeper said:

I was wondering if the values in the OPG were more accurate on the Famous Funnies Frazetta covers?

To answer your question in as few words as possible........."Yes and No".........as it really depends on your definition of "more accurate" here.  hm  lol

If you aren't afriad of getting totally bored, I wouldn't mind on expounding on my answer here.  :blahblah:  :blahblah:

Edited by lou_fine

On 7/23/2023 at 5:01 PM, lou_fine said:

To answer your question in as few words as possible........."Yes and No".........as it really depends on your definition of "more accurate" here.  hm  (thumbsu

I was wondering if OPG was reflecting the prices of real sales of these books as we can see on GPA.

On 7/23/2023 at 2:06 PM, vaultkeeper said:

I was wondering if OPG was reflecting the prices of real sales of these books as we can see on GPA.

In a short answer to your question here......you do realize that it's still old, slow, and conservative Bob who's still in full control of the OPG.  :gossip:  lol

Edited by lou_fine

On 7/23/2023 at 5:05 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Now that you mention it, I can no longer find sources for downloadable copies anywhere(I stopped downloading them 2 years ago with the 51st Edition). Accordingly, I have just now sent an inquiry to Heritage 

I wondered this too, and I think this option no longer exists. Overstreet has morphed into this digitally:

https://www.overstreetaccess.com/

On 7/23/2023 at 6:23 PM, vaultkeeper said:

Can someone else give me an answer to my question?

The popular comics of the moment seem to get the bump up in the Overstreet.That is just my opinion from following the market and the sales with high dollar books

On 7/23/2023 at 6:24 PM, pmpknface said:

I wondered this too, and I think this option no longer exists. Overstreet has morphed into this digitally:

https://www.overstreetaccess.com/

unfortunately, Access does not give you "access" to the entirety of each year's Guide prices.  Well, okay, I guess it "does", but you'd have to populate your collection with every single issue, and pick a grade for each,,, and only then do you see a value for your books.  But you ONLY see that grade's value..  Nowhere is the full 6 grade list of values (G thru NM-) visible to the subscriber.

On 7/23/2023 at 2:01 PM, lou_fine said:
On 7/23/2023 at 1:01 PM, vaultkeeper said:

I was wondering if the values in the OPG were more accurate on the Famous Funnies Frazetta covers?

To answer your question in as few words as possible........."Yes and No".........as it really depends on your definition of "more accurate" here.  hm  lol

On 7/23/2023 at 2:26 PM, lou_fine said:

In a short answer to your question here......you do realize that it's still old, slow, and conservative Bob who's still in full control of the OPG.  :gossip:  lol

On 7/23/2023 at 3:23 PM, vaultkeeper said:

Can someone else give me an answer to my question?

Are you trying to imply that I didn't answered your question here or is it more that you simply didn't get the answer that you wanted to hear?  (tsk)  lol

In either case, I will now give you the expanded version of my answer to your question since you did not care for my short hand version, and for those who don't care for a wall of text and numbers, please skip straight to the next post:  :blahblah:  :blahblah:

YES, If you take a look at the OPG listing for the Frazetta Famous Funnies issues, you can clearly see that he is much much more accurate than the mere $3,100 valuation he had each of them listed for in top of guide back in 2021.  The mere fact that he broke them out into two separate groupings makes it more accurate from that one change by itself, although from my POV it really shoule have been into three separate groupings, but that is really besides the point.  The additional fact that he bumped the FF 212 to FF 214 grouping by a whopping very un-Overstreet like 158% from a mere $3,100 in top of guide all the way up to $8K in last years guide makes it even doubly more accurate.  (thumbsu

Then again, the fact that he did not follow through with continuing high double digit percentage increases in this years guide, unlike what he did with the hot to trot L.B. Cole and Matt Baker covers, means that, NO, he is still clearly NOT as accurate as he can be.  Especially since he raised the FF 212 to FF 214 grouping from $8K in top of guide to $9K for a piddling percentage increase of only 12.5% and the second grouping from $4K up to $5K for a more respectable, but still low 25% gain.  Especially when you take into consideration the increased frequency with which these Frazetta issues were coming into the marketplace last year (albeit in lower and mid-grade condition) and yet still able to garnered nice multiples to their new guide valuations.  :)

I get the distinct impression that what really gets Overstreet's attention is when higher grade copies of books sells for headline grabbing results and less so when its lower grade copies that sells for high multiples, but probably the absolute number in and of itself keeps them flying under the radar.  Now, that we've seen a Famous Funnies 209 (BTW: one of the most common Frazetta issues) crossed into 5-figure territory for the first time at $20K+ and a Famous Funnies 212 hitting $30K, both in last month's Heritage Auction, you might just see more of an increase reflected in part for these stupendous sales in the 2024 OPG in a mere short 51 weeks from now.  lol  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

If you want to be even more current though, all you need do is to take a look at this auction result for a copy of Famous Funnies 213 which just finished up within the past hour:  :gossip:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/science-fiction/famous-funnies-213-eastern-color-1954-cgc-vg-40-cream-to-off-white-pages/a/122330-17069.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

Golden Age (1938-1955):Science Fiction, Famous Funnies #213 (Eastern Color, 1954) CGC VG 4.0 Cream to off-white pages....

Sold for $4,200 or what is now still running at almost 4.5X the increased condition guide value in the new 2023 OPG that just came out.  Really, nothing new here as it's just more of the same old, same old that we've been seeing with respect to the multiples for the Frazetta Famous Funnies issues during the past couple of years.  :applause:

On 7/23/2023 at 10:26 PM, Dr. Balls said:

As another thought to the older gents who collect GA and think the interest in that genre of the hobby is waning: I'm 50 years old, and my collecting focus keeps moving backward, as my appreciation for art continues to move to the older works. I've collected all genres, but as I get older, my desire to go after hard-to-find older books gets stronger - and that always ends up to be in the Golden Age. I think a lot of collectors who have a lifetime in the hobby want to chase things that are harder than the previous genre they liked.

This.

On 7/23/2023 at 7:37 PM, tth2 said:

All of this analysis of the accuracy of Overstreet's prices brings to mind people analyzing the accuracy of doing mathematical calculations on a slide ruler.   

OMG..............has our chariot somehow already galloped us all the way into the 17th Century or something, as I thought we were all still using the abacus to analyze Overstreet's valuation changes?  :whatthe:  lol

On 7/22/2023 at 10:33 PM, Dr. Balls said:

When I bought my copy, I believe the census only had 97 graded books, and now it's gone to 129 (like you had said) in a year. Black Cat 50 has 110 on census and CSS22 has 400+ and they also command big numbers. And they are the three most recognizable PCH covers to everyone in the hobby.

I think this book gets purchased and maybe doesn't flip as often as other PCH books. I mean, I'm hanging onto mine because I don't want to try and track it down again - and I paid at the very beginning of the run-up. I imagine the guys who are into this book for $200-$300 from 15+ years ago will never part with it because replacing it at 50X what they bought it for isn't an option. And I dunno about the "warehouse find". That's been the go-to boogeyman phrase in comics most of my adult life (and probably before) that is used to squash pricing. Until I see a stack of 50 Chamber of Chills 19 wrapped in twine, I remain skeptical.

It's just a classic cover. From an graphic illustration aspect, it's one of the best covers of the era, between line quality, the black cover popping the color and mixing beauty with the macabre - it hits a lot of desirable and interesting traits. And there's a whole generation of Gen-Xers that grew up looking at the Misfits album cover (like me). I think only CS22 is homage'd more on modern books than CoC19. And for younger generations who are dabbling into the PCH stuff because they want to venture into something older than Silver Age - this is like a cornerstone piece. All those things drive up the hype. I'll be the first to admit that when I got back into comics, specifically PCH - I wanted one of these for sure.

The water-damaged ones from that old HA auction are crazy - you could leak one or two of those out for a few years and buy yourself a nice, big boat.

I know where you're coming from, I started into PCH about 20 years ago. 2008/2009 was a great buying period because of the stock market bottoming out and recession. I got my CoC 19 for $95.60 off an early Ha weekly. Crippen copy. Have had many offers to sell, but it would be so hard to replace.