• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It's that time. New Overstreet 53rd Ed. out tomorrow. I still love the book.
3 3

161 posts in this topic

On 7/18/2023 at 11:50 AM, twmjr1 said:

Last year's edition contained a huge price correction across the whole hobby to more accurately reflect real valuations. 

The only problem being that although he put in huge valuation increases to reflect the Covid/crypto crazy price increases that took place in 2020 and 2021, the market for some of the SA books and readily available so-called BA and CA keys did a complete 180 degree price reversal to the poiint that some of them even dropped by more than half of their 2021 marketplace prices.  :tonofbricks:

To the point that the 2022 Guide is now substantially higher than the current marketplace prices on some of these more readily available books which makes me wonder how Overstreet is going to reflect this in the new guide?  Especially since we all know how much he absolutely hates to put price decreases in his guide.  :(

Yep, it looks like Overstreet clearly picked the wrong year to go all out with some of his huge double and even triple digit percentage valuation increases in his guide last year.  :facepalm:

Edited by lou_fine

On 7/18/2023 at 5:37 PM, N e r V said:

I haven’t picked up a copy in years now but after seeing your thread I think I might grab a copy if it’s at this weeks SDCC. I’m feeling nostalgic.. 

If it's been years since your last one, rather shockingly nice from a strict visual POV last year since everything's in full color now instead of B&W. :applause:

On 7/18/2023 at 4:48 PM, lou_fine said:

The only problem being that although he put in huge valuation increases to reflect the Covid/crypto crazy price increases that took place in 2020 and 2021, the market for some of the SA books and readily available so-called BA and CA keys did a complete 180 degree price reversal to the point that some of them even dropped by more than half of their 2021 marketplace prices.  :tonofbricks:

To the point that the 2022 Guide is now substantially higher than the current marketplace prices on some of these more readily available books which makes me wonder how Overstreet is going to reflect this in the new guide?  Especially since we all know how much he absolutely hates to put price decreases in his guide.  :(

:facepalm:

Solution seems to be reprint the Overstreet 2021-22 edition but add color cover pics to restore the Guide pricing for year 2022 to May 2023 equilibrium for this week's release of Overstreet 2023-24.

For the last 35 years I've picked up the hardcovers, starting this year on I will not be picking up the publication.  Besides being outright outmoded, and their failure to adapt to concept's newer than 1980, Overstreet's supreme vanity in virtually never correcting errors coupled with unprofessional unwillingness to decrease values to reflect empirical data is not only poor business but frankly disgusting.

If was a fun ride at one time but those days are long gone. I'll still have my memories thus no need to continue to purchase what I feel is a useless publication.

Edited by MAR1979

I have always found the guide to be indispensable, and I feel the same way now.

Some of the reasons I consider it indispensable may have changed to some extent, but Overstreet is still Overstreet, and its value can never be overstated.

I always wait impatiently for it and buy it on the very first day that I can.