• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It's that time. New Overstreet 53rd Ed. out tomorrow. I still love the book.
3 3

161 posts in this topic

On 8/5/2023 at 10:11 AM, Crowzilla said:
On 8/5/2023 at 9:10 AM, woowoo said:

Oh sure, now you show up lol

That bottom pic was from the first time I had ever set up at San Diego - I was 23 and wanted to make a good impression with all the West Coast collectors. Hope it worked.

On 8/5/2023 at 9:27 AM, Robot Man said:

I remember that guy. I forget his name at this point.

Guess it didn't... :(

Guess your forgettable even with all that great gold. :cheers:

On 8/5/2023 at 10:43 AM, lou_fine said:
On 8/5/2023 at 9:10 AM, woowoo said:

image.jpeg

Oh..............don't we yearn for the days of yore when we had a full set of red hair and we could pick up those beauties for what was probably back then perceived to be "crazy" prices. :takeit:

Seriously though, absolutely loved your Sleepers column in the early issues of the Gary Carter edited CBM magazine before it all went to carp.  :applause:

Ya Luther hair all gone think he is bald now :facepalm:

On 8/6/2023 at 1:11 AM, Crowzilla said:

I was 23 and wanted to make a good impression with all the West Coast collectors. Hope it worked.

On 8/6/2023 at 12:27 AM, Robot Man said:

I remember that guy. I forget his name at this point.

Guess it didn't... :(

lol

On 8/5/2023 at 4:17 PM, woowoo said:

Ya Luther hair all gone think he is bald now :facepalm:

Well, looks like not quite bald yet, unless this is an old photo:  (thumbsu  :)

SEAN LINKENBACK

Sean Linkenback is an attorney and author known for writing the Unauthorized Guide to Godzilla Collectibles, the first comprehensive guide on the subject in the English language. Before that he was an adviser to Warren's Movie Poster Price Guide, the Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide, as well as being an adviser on the first Sotheby's comic book auction, and a frequent writer about comics including the feature "CBM Presents Sleepers" in Comic Book Marketplace. Currently he works as an attorney in Atlanta, Georgia as well as being an infrequent columnist for the magazine Movie Collector's World.

In 2014, Linkenback released The Art of Japanese Monsters, a comprehensive guide to worldwide movie poster artwork from Japanese science fiction and horror (kaiju) films of the past 60 years. It especially focused on the Godzilla and Gamera series of films produced by Toho Films and Daiei Film respectively. This book is available as both a regular hardbound edition and a limited leatherbound edition of 100 copies that was signed by Godzilla series star Akira Takarada and suit actor Haruo Nakajima.[1]

On 8/6/2023 at 10:39 AM, lou_fine said:

Well, looks like not quite bald yet, unless this is an old photo:  (thumbsu  :)

SEAN LINKENBACK

Sean Linkenback is an attorney and author known for writing the Unauthorized Guide to Godzilla Collectibles, the first comprehensive guide on the subject in the English language. Before that he was an adviser to Warren's Movie Poster Price Guide, the Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide, as well as being an adviser on the first Sotheby's comic book auction, and a frequent writer about comics including the feature "CBM Presents Sleepers" in Comic Book Marketplace. Currently he works as an attorney in Atlanta, Georgia as well as being an infrequent columnist for the magazine Movie Collector's World.

In 2014, Linkenback released The Art of Japanese Monsters, a comprehensive guide to worldwide movie poster artwork from Japanese science fiction and horror (kaiju) films of the past 60 years. It especially focused on the Godzilla and Gamera series of films produced by Toho Films and Daiei Film respectively. This book is available as both a regular hardbound edition and a limited leatherbound edition of 100 copies that was signed by Godzilla series star Akira Takarada and suit actor Haruo Nakajima.[1]

Ya he's not the cool guy he was in the 90s with all those cool books and ya that's bald. :whistle:

image.jpeg

On 8/7/2023 at 10:38 PM, mrd160 said:

Noooooooooooooo….😭😭😭IMG_6701.jpeg

Interesting. I hadn't realized that. I guess I still prefer flipping through the print copy. The type does seem to get a bit smaller every year.

On 7/18/2023 at 2:50 PM, twmjr1 said:

Been buying it since #5 in 1975. Read it cover to cover every year. Last year's edition contained a huge price correction across the whole hobby to more accurately reflect real valuations. 

I buy it every year as well. The dealer reports are interesting as are some of the other articles. I usually learn (or relearn) things from flipping through it.

On 8/13/2023 at 7:09 PM, comicnoir said:

Just got mine. CoC 19 is now #1 Horror book. Doubled in value from $20K to $40K.

Looks like the last GPA sale in 9.2 was $72K. Holy smokes! 

Looks like that copy sold on HA for $50,400 in Jan 2022 and for $72K in Nov 2022. Heck of a return on a quick flip. 

On 8/13/2023 at 8:31 PM, Sqeggs said:

Looks like the last GPA sale in 9.2 was $72K. Holy smokes! 

Looks like that copy sold on HA for $50,400 in Jan 2022 and for $72K in Nov 2022. Heck of a return on a quick flip. 

It's the book of the year now that most everything else has tanked.

On 8/13/2023 at 7:09 PM, comicnoir said:

CoC 19 is now #1 Horror book. Doubled in value from $20K to $40K

It's going to be interesting to see where that 5.0 Tales of Terror Annual #1 ("Bobby Blue") on ComicConnect ends up at (currently @ $17,000 with 11+ days to go)

osh.jpg

tt.jpg

On 8/13/2023 at 7:10 PM, comicnoir said:

It's the book of the year now that most everything else has tanked.

Yes, More Fun # 53 went up a mere 2% while MF 54, 55 each went up a lofty 30% so dump those unwanted MF 53 now please.

On 8/14/2023 at 9:15 AM, DanCooper said:

It's going to be interesting to see where that 5.0 Tales of Terror Annual #1 ("Bobby Blue") on ComicConnect ends up at (currently @ $17,000 with 11+ days to go)

osh.jpg

tt.jpg

Trying to figure out what criteria Overstreet used to come up with this top 10 given Tomb of Terror 15, Black Cat Mystery 50, Weird Mysteries 5 and Adventures into the Unknown 1 were left off. Take a look at the Overstreet Guide prices for these books in the 53rd Edition. This is one of those instances where I find it difficult to defend Overstreet’s credibility. Their editorial decisions sometimes make no sense. How difficult is it for the editor to have their fact/price checkers go through the book before approving a final top 10 list?

On 8/14/2023 at 9:15 AM, DanCooper said:

osh.jpg

Nothing about this list gives me a reason to resume buying the Guide, much less reading it even if it were free.