• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Random Fun Thread

12 posts in this topic

So, I was thinking about our hobby and how this sub-forum is dedicated to the "Golden Age" of comic collecting.  Many of you have known that I have a certain fascination with the pedigree books - I have posted about those before.

Anyway, my question/challenge to anyone is a two-parter.

1. What is the oldest graded comic book?

2. What is the oldest graded pedigree comic book?

Anyone got the answers to these questions??  Post up your pics!!  I know I am not even close, but my oldest is date June of 1941 - Tip Top Comics #62.  It's currently the oldest I have in my collection and it's a Lost Valley Pedigree.  My previous oldest book was a Marvel Mystery 11 with a cover date of September 1940, but that was part of my stolen collection.

PDG

This is my earliest graded pedigree book. It's not a lot to hoot about, being that it's incomplete, but it IS a Cosmic Aeroplane pedigree copy, so it qualifies. As far as I know, this is the earliest Cosmic Aeroplane pedigree copy. 

New Comics 10 .5 c-ow front Cosmic Aeroplane.jpg

Edited by Frisco Larson

Some people may disagree and that's fine, but for the longest time, the 1st comic book has been recognized to be Funnies on Parade nn 1933. Currently, there are 14 universal and 5 restored copies listed in the CGC census (as of a few minutes ago). Quickly checking the Heritage archives and GPA, none of the graded copies they have info on show up as pedigrees. Checking the Larson & Lost Valley lists, both of those pedigrees do not list a copy of Funnies on Parade to be present. So, the recognized first standard comic book has many graded copies, none so far provable as a pedigree. The copy below isn't mine, it's just for reference.

Funnies on Parade (2).jpg

Great stuff!!  This is fun and great information that we might just want to have out of curiosity.

Thanks for all who have replied.

Now, what about the oldest in your PC?  

PDG

On 7/20/2023 at 4:52 PM, PDGray said:

My previous oldest book was a Marvel Mystery 11 with a cover date of September 1940, but that was part of my stolen collection.

:frown:

On 7/21/2023 at 8:10 AM, PDGray said:

Great stuff!!  This is fun and great information that we might just want to have out of curiosity.

Thanks for all who have replied.

Now, what about the oldest in your PC?  

PDG

This is the oldest item I currently have in a CGC holder. Most wouldn't consider it a comic book though. (shrug) Regardless, I think it's cool and fun!!! :banana:

Diamond Dick Jr 666.JPG

The oldest comic related periodical I've seen slabbed is The Yellow Kid from 1897.  Like Diamond MR., it's a magazine without comics.

First slabbed comic book I've found is Brown's Blue Ribbon Book from 1904.  OSPG lists this as 1st BB comic book premium, though it isn't 1st BB comic book.

From HA archive:

Spoiler

image.thumb.jpeg.e8b61636ca0bd3ebd8423b8efdf6ef8d.jpeg

Edited by PreHero
hide

On 7/20/2023 at 3:52 PM, PDGray said:

So, I was thinking about our hobby and how this sub-forum is dedicated to the "Golden Age" of comic collecting.  Many of you have known that I have a certain fascination with the pedigree books - I have posted about those before.

Anyway, my question/challenge to anyone is a two-parter.

1. What is the oldest graded comic book?

2. What is the oldest graded pedigree comic book?

Anyone got the answers to these questions??  Post up your pics!!  I know I am not even close, but my oldest is date June of 1941 - Tip Top Comics #62.  It's currently the oldest I have in my collection and it's a Lost Valley Pedigree.  My previous oldest book was a Marvel Mystery 11 with a cover date of September 1940, but that was part of my stolen collection.

PDG

Taking this question literally ...and for all I know the oldest CGC graded pedigree comic book isn't this one...

But how many early CGC graded pedigree books have since been regraded and/or re-holdered?  hm   (shrug)

b3ad9eb9-297b-4a13-a719-b4181eb10f42_zpskdr1zpgi.jpeg.f1b11588ac9b80db07ebd564db60fce3.jpeg

Spoiler

4403d71f-cc7e-4fd8-b15d-513238c4ce7a_zpsfcd0876e.jpeg.dbcc9ebaebcc0396e85518b68a39a362.jpeg

It probably wasn't the intent of the original poster, but this can be taken as a trick question.

I also have some Church copies, but none as early as this Larson with the old CGC label.

:cheers:

On 7/25/2023 at 9:34 PM, Cat-Man_America said:

Taking this question literally ...and for all I know the oldest CGC graded pedigree comic book isn't this one...

But how many early CGC graded pedigree books have since been regraded and/or re-holdered?  hm   (shrug)

b3ad9eb9-297b-4a13-a719-b4181eb10f42_zpskdr1zpgi.jpeg.f1b11588ac9b80db07ebd564db60fce3.jpeg

Hide contents

4403d71f-cc7e-4fd8-b15d-513238c4ce7a_zpsfcd0876e.jpeg.dbcc9ebaebcc0396e85518b68a39a362.jpeg

It probably wasn't the intent of the original poster, but this can be taken as a trick question.

I also have some Church copies, but none as early as this Larson with the old CGC label.

:cheers:

I don't mean anything as a trick question at all.  I just absolutely LOVE seeing Golden age books like this.  This thread just seemed like a fun way to do it.  And that is an absolutely stunning book!!!  Thanks for sharing!!

PDG