• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why do the Micronauts not get the love the transformers do?
2 2

34 posts in this topic

what is a micronaut? Lol no seriously... i know they came before transformers but we all grew up on transformers and the push from toy companies to sell us action figures, haha. 

On 7/23/2023 at 12:18 PM, Krismusic said:

what is a micronaut? Lol no seriously... i know they came before transformers but we all grew up on transformers and the push from toy companies to sell us action figures, haha. 

Plus the push from the TV show.

On 7/23/2023 at 12:18 PM, Krismusic said:

They were both manufactured by Takara in Japan under the Henshin Cyborg/Microman moniker before Mego in the mid 70s and Hasbro (80s) licensed both for US distribution. Marvel would also license both coinciding with the launch of both toy lines for North America 

On 7/23/2023 at 3:15 PM, TRMN8R5 said:

Baron Karza was about as close to a Darth Vader villain swipe as you could get witOUT being a complete character steal (like, say, Deathstroke/Deadpool :eyeroll: ).

Agreed Baron Karza was a swipe of Darkseid+Dr Doom combo, er I mean Darth Vader.

edit: based on the next comment Karza was not a copy of Vader.  Still I stand by Vader was a rip-off of an amalgam of 2 Kirby creations (and or co-creation) and it now appears possibly also the anime character that inspired Karza

Edited by MAR1979

On 7/23/2023 at 1:15 PM, TRMN8R5 said:

Baron Karza was about as close to a Darth Vader villain swipe as you could get witOUT being a complete character steal (like, say, Deathstroke/Deadpool :eyeroll: ).

a popular opinion, but actually Baron Karza came out before Star Wars was released. The vague resemblance of Karza and Vader can likely attributed to "great minds think alike"

Some fans familiar with Karza only through the Marvel comic have assumed that his resemblance to Darth Vader was an attempt to cash in on the Star Wars phenomenon, but Karza predated Vader, and reportedly was inspired by a character in the Japanese anime Kotetsu jeeg (1975–1976). 

darth_vader_vs__baron_karza_by_disneywhite_d4177vb-fullview.jpg

On 7/23/2023 at 4:20 PM, Cat said:

Micronauts had nothing like that to offer. There's simply no comparison. Without the Michael Golden art it'd be forgotten completely except by a few figure collectors wanting it for its link to GIJOE. 

There are a lot of people who like the entire comic run for the Mantlo stories, although I don't know many people who have good things to say about the "New Voyages". 

Those of us who had them back then did enjoy them, though.  ROM was the one where the toy was unimpressive in practice, the interchangeable nature of the Micronauts made them a lot of fun to play with.  They were clearly a step on the way to developing the actual Transformers figures.

On 7/24/2023 at 11:01 AM, OtherEric said:

There are a lot of people who like the entire comic run for the Mantlo stories, although I don't know many people who have good things to say about the "New Voyages". 

Those of us who had them back then did enjoy them, though.  ROM was the one where the toy was unimpressive in practice, the interchangeable nature of the Micronauts made them a lot of fun to play with.  They were clearly a step on the way to developing the actual Transformers figures.

They were partially used for the original line-up. The original line was a mix of a few lines, but mainly two: Diaclone and MicroChange. Micro Change was a companion line to Micro Man. Those toyswerr meant to be life-size, eg the toys we know as Megatron, Soundwave. And Micro Man and Micronauts are related. It all ties in. 

On 7/23/2023 at 9:01 PM, OtherEric said:

Hey, I quite liked New Voyages when it came out.  I had just started reading comics at the time, so it was my introduction to the world and characters.  (I had a yellow time traveler figure I had as a kid, but that doesn't count.)

Haven't read them since they came out, though, so it's not a hill I'm willing to die on... :whistle: