• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official Skybound Energon Universe Thread! COBRA Commander #3 Out NOW!
3 3

144 posts in this topic

Huge spoiler for this week's Void Rivals. It's another 

Spoiler

Transformer. 

Warning Huge Spoiler! 

Spoiler

1XqGhvK.thumb.jpg.a2905786b82628bda6261fc12ef82b38.jpg

For those who wanted to see the Transformers #1 1:100 SPOILER cover, here it is uncoloured and uninked. 

Consider this a SPOILER for the book. I think it helps to be familiar with Bertram's work, I'm not. But I think I get it. 

Final warning: SPOILER 

Spoiler

MwWEEPC.png.0e191073afa8b306fe5d9203cd641443.png

On 9/26/2023 at 7:09 AM, Cat said:

For those who wanted to see the Transformers #1 1:100 SPOILER cover, here it is uncoloured and uninked. 

Consider this a SPOILER for the book. I think it helps to be familiar with Bertram's work, I'm not. But I think I get it. 

Final warning: SPOILER 

Hide contents

MwWEEPC.png.0e191073afa8b306fe5d9203cd641443.png

Thanks for sharing. That is quite a nice looking cover. I'm not familiar with Bertram's work at all.

On 9/25/2023 at 11:27 AM, Cat said:

Huge spoiler for this week's Void Rivals. It's another 

Reveal hidden contents

Transformer. 

Warning Huge Spoiler! 

Reveal hidden contents

1XqGhvK.thumb.jpg.a2905786b82628bda6261fc12ef82b38.jpg

I just saw this spoiler for this weeks book. Now that is awesome.

Have to wonder how they plan to interwind all 3 properties moving forward. I have been enjoying Void Rivals quite a bit.

On 9/26/2023 at 10:51 PM, captainzombie said:

I just saw this spoiler for this weeks book. Now that is awesome.

Have to wonder how they plan to interwind all 3 properties moving forward. I have been enjoying Void Rivals quite a bit.

Yeah same. I remember early on Kirkman was calling them the protagonists of the series as a whole (besides the Transformers obviously) so they've got big plans for them. I just wonder how their stories will intersect. I'm excited to find out! 

This is the first I've heard of that artist too. But his other covers I saw for Marvel were pretty nice, they definitely had something to them. Ian Bertram is his name. Here's some examples I saw posted. 

IMG_8593.thumb.jpeg.d9a51ad75d67830737f99474ffddf80a.jpegIMG_8594.jpeg.b88fddc65f0be18337a5fd143340a0df.jpegIMG_8595.thumb.jpeg.1721c326fb699b0a135b5b3122e549de.jpeg

I won't get my copy of Void Rivals #4 until next week, but I've read what happens, and it sounds great. A lot of set-up for the Transformers Universe, some surprising stuff, yet also familiar. I can't wait until October 4th.

On 9/27/2023 at 8:39 PM, Cat said:

I won't get my copy of Void Rivals #4 until next week, but I've read what happens, and it sounds great. A lot of set-up for the Transformers Universe, some surprising stuff, yet also familiar. I can't wait until October 4th.

I'm glad that you're excited friend, sounds promising :)

On 9/27/2023 at 8:39 PM, Cat said:

I picked up VR# 4 today, planning on reading it here in a bit. Excited that this weeks book is great from what you have read.

I ordered a second TF #1 1:100 today as I don't trust my order from TFAW since their books sometimes are a mess.

Tomorrow is the day, folks. October 4th Issue ONE is available at your local comic store, Amazon digitally, wherever. I hope everyone enjoys the read. I unfortunately won't get to read it until next week, but I hope to kvie vicariously through you guys. Remember, this is his first issue. Everyone hated first issues of Dreamwave, and IDW. And look where they ended up. So don't be too harsh. 

Below are all covers available. c6na6r8nzzrb1.jpg.872038a41f04ac92487e093383bdf6e0.jpg

On 10/3/2023 at 2:17 PM, Cat said:

Tomorrow is the day, folks. October 4th Issue ONE is available at your local comic store, Amazon digitally, wherever. I hope everyone enjoys the read. I unfortunately won't get to read it until next week, but I hope to kvie vicariously through you guys. Remember, this is his first issue. Everyone hated first issues of Dreamwave, and IDW. And look where they ended up. So don't be too harsh. 

Below are all covers available. c6na6r8nzzrb1.jpg.872038a41f04ac92487e093383bdf6e0.jpg

I can't wait. I did also get caught on the latest issue of Void Rivals over the weekend.

I just can not believe all of these covers. Do we really need this much? LOL!

On 10/4/2023 at 5:34 AM, captainzombie said:

I can't wait. I did also get caught on the latest issue of Void Rivals over the weekend.

I just can not believe all of these covers. Do we really need this much? LOL!

The Optimus and Starscream on faction logos, like the Jetfire, are second prints. I've already ordered them, which is good news for the book. But yeah nah, we definitely don't need all these covers, that's for sure. 

If anyone is in Chicago, DWJ is doing a signing at Challenger Comics, I'm unsure whether it's still today or tomorrow for you guys, or what. 4-6pm, anyway. 

On 10/4/2023 at 8:07 AM, Cat said:

The Optimus and Starscream on faction logos, like the Jetfire, are second prints. I've already ordered them, which is good news for the book. But yeah nah, we definitely don't need all these covers, that's for sure. 

If anyone is in Chicago, DWJ is doing a signing at Challenger Comics, I'm unsure whether it's still today or tomorrow for you guys, or what. 4-6pm, anyway. 

I've ordered several covers myself. I did get 2 of the 1:100's as I have this feeling the book is going to blow up for sure. Reviews so far have been fantastic.

I live 50 minutes from Challenger Comics, but can't make the drive there. Really cool that he is doing a signing.

On 10/4/2023 at 11:57 PM, captainzombie said:

I've ordered several covers myself. I did get 2 of the 1:100's as I have this feeling the book is going to blow up for sure. Reviews so far have been fantastic.

I live 50 minutes from Challenger Comics, but can't make the drive there. Really cool that he is doing a signing.

He says he "may even have some special covers for sale there." I wonder what he means there? Ratio variants, signed and remarqued? 

On 10/4/2023 at 4:34 PM, Cat said:

He says he "may even have some special covers for sale there." I wonder what he means there? Ratio variants, signed and remarqued? 

It is possible he hits on all that you mentioned. I just finished reading TF#1 and really enjoyed it a lot. Some of the art work took me a bit of getting used to it, but the story was well done and this is Transformers for adults.

Spoiler for TF #1

Spoiler

Megatron is semi-mentioned once in this book. Have to love Starscream and always wanting to take leadership of the Deceptions. I wonder if he is awakened by G.I. Joe in one of the Joe books or does he find his way in a Void Rivals book.

As for Bumblebee, I think he is dead and far from being revived.....but who knows, we will see.

Edited by captainzombie

I'm avoiding reading your post just yet, @captainzombie. My copies just arrived 20 minutes ago, so first I'm going to read Void Rivals, then the main event, Transformers #1. I've just got the 3 covers here, but oh well. The regular Optimus cover, and the 2 team shots. Then I've got the Giangi on the way (mid-November for that one, they're estimating), and the 2 2nd prints ordered. That'll do for now. I'm sure I'll pick up others for cheap off ebay now and then as we go.

So I can't wait to get into them. It's just a question of whether I can do that before the sleeping tablets from last night kick back in again, as they might do, seeing I took them at like 6am, as I was so entranced at my experience reading Strange Adventures, and literally could not put my book down. 

My shipment also contained the final issue of Astrobots, for those looking for some Simon Furman goodness. It's a mecha book, with FANTASTIC art, written by Mr Furman, 5 issue miniseries, about a small series of action figures that are being released. Soubf like a familiar concept to anyone? Nahhhh, it'll never take off. I've only read the first issue, deciding then I'd wait until I had the rest to read it all at once. It was a very dense read, very political. Just thought I'd point it out, because it seems like it's received no press. 

Void Rivals #4 was a very good read. I know I say this every month, but this really was the best issue so far. The main story is definitely where it's at, though, I'm not convinced that the Skuxxoid's story with Shockwave and the Quintesson is really going anywhere interesting at the moment, but we'll see. I'm certainly prepared to give it time to mature. A very good read. 

Now onto Transformers #1, and what can I say... this book BLEW me away. I had no idea what to expect going into it, but I was absolutely amazed by it, and by how much I enjoyed it. Everything that happened made sense. We've got a good reason for why we're getting such a small cast, lots of things were explained already, a lot happened, this wasn't another Infiltration fiasco, where it was a boring monthly read, but a fantastic read when read as one, this was a great read on its own, and it definitely felt meaty. 

I was shocked at the fate of (really don't read this if you haven't read the book, it is a MASSIVE SPOILER) 

Spoiler

Jetfire, and even Teletraan One, although I assume the latter is repairable, and being so early in the continuity, Jetfire could conceivably come back one day, but I certainly didn't expect a major death already in issue #1. 

I'm very happy that I sprung for the Giang graded foil cover, as this is definitely a book I want to have a nice copy of. All in all, it's going to be a long, agonising wait now until #2. 

On 10/5/2023 at 9:20 AM, captainzombie said:

It is possible he hits on all that you mentioned. I just finished reading TF#1 and really enjoyed it a lot. Some of the art work took me a bit of getting used to it, but the story was well done and this is Transformers for adults.

Spoiler for TF #1

Hide contents

Megatron is semi-mentioned once in this book. Have to love Starscream and always wanting to take leadership of the Deceptions. I wonder if he is awakened by G.I. Joe in one of the Joe books or does he find his way in a Void Rivals book.

As for Bumblebee, I think he is dead and far from being revived.....but who knows, we will see.

As for your spoiler 

Spoiler

Have you read Void Rivals #4? I doubt he's running Cybertron, as it seemed like Shockwave was in charge of things there. I assumed Megatron was there with them on Earth, but hadn't been resurrected yet, and wasn't shown on panel for reasons of suspense. Logically, where else could he be? 

On 10/6/2023 at 1:37 PM, Cat said:

As for your spoiler 

Hide contents

Have you read Void Rivals #4? I doubt he's running Cybertron, as it seemed like Shockwave was in charge of things there. I assumed Megatron was there with them on Earth, but hadn't been resurrected yet, and wasn't shown on panel for reasons of suspense. Logically, where else could he be? 

I have read VR #4. I think they are saving him for GI Joe or maybe a later issue of VR so they can connect this shared universe together.

On 10/7/2023 at 4:59 AM, captainzombie said:

I have read VR #4. I think they are saving him for GI Joe or maybe a later issue of VR so they can connect this shared universe together.

I didn't even think of GIJOE. Are you going to buy those books? I guess we have to, seeing as the cover for Duke has Starscream on it too. I'd prefer to just stick to Transformers, but if the TF's are going to regularly be in the Joes, I do want their appearances.